Notary Rotary
How do you.....
Notary Discussion History

How do you.....
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by hmmm... on 7/19/05 12:12am
Msg #53031

How do you.....

How would/could you ask a company who calls you for a signing, how much they will pay you BEFORE accepting the signing/closing, without sounding money greedy?

Example:

Hi, this is So and So from Signings 'R' Us. I'm calling to see if you would be available for a signing in such and such town at 6 pm.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 7/19/05 12:30am
Msg #53036

"Let me check my calendar. While I'm looking, ...

... what fee do you usually pay?" (or "... are you offering?" or ...). If possible, get the company to make the first move.

Reply by Mike/NJ on 7/19/05 12:33am
Msg #53038

depends on a few things.

How many notaries are in your area.
Know what the going rate is.

Example.. My area(within 10 miles) the going rate for overnight docs for a SS is $75-$100 and its more for edocs. Anything higher and the SS will call other notaries.

The SS will charge the TC anywhere from 150 and up.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/19/05 12:50am
Msg #53044

I accept the assignment and then I tell them how much my fee is...if I cannot get them to tell me first - and -

If the fee don't fit, no sign-ee...

Reply by TCMN on 7/19/05 12:59am
Msg #53047

I say this...

when they call and ask if I would be available for a signing in city/date/time. I first ask if it's a refi or heloc, edocs or overnight and then I say "Yes, I'm available. What are you authorized to pay?" I lthink that's fair. THEY can tell me what they can pay first. Then when it's too low, I say "I'm sorry I don't accept edocs (if that's what it was) with a 45 minute drive each way for less than..blah, blah, blah."

They usually reply, that they aren't authorised to pay more than X amount and I tell them that since that area isn't serviced by any other notary closer that when they get my fee approved to call me and I'd be happy to do it.

I'd say 7 out of 10 times they will call me back.

Reply by Melody on 7/19/05 1:12am
Msg #53051

Great advice! ~n/m

Reply by new2notary-ca on 7/19/05 9:17am
Msg #53079

Re: Great advice! ~n/m

being new to this, I know what the instructors say we can make but can anyone actually give me an idea of what the going rate range would be in Bakersfield CA or where to look to figure it out?

Reply by CaliNotary on 7/19/05 3:29pm
Msg #53168

Why are you concerned about sounding greedy? How else are you supposed to negotiate a fee unless you discuss it? This is business, OF COURSE they're expecting us to either quote our fee or ask them what they're paying.

The things people worry about sometimes. Sheesh.

And to answer your question, when they ask if you're available, you say "what is your fee?". It's just that simple.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.