Notary Rotary
Inventor Application and Declaration
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Jerri on 7/28/05 2:03pm
Msg #55372

I am a new notary and majority of my signing is for Invention Assignments & Declarations. Sometimes there are as many as 4 inventors on the form; sometimes residing in different states. The respective legal firm says it is OK for me just to notarize the inventor at my location. They send duplicate copies to remaining inventors to have notarized. Do I need to cross out the names I am NOT notarizing? Thanks from new notary

Reply by SamIam_CA on 7/28/05 2:13pm
Msg #55375

**Do I need to cross out the names I am NOT notarizing?**

Only the name(s) of the person(s) you are notarizing should be on your certificate. You can cross off the name(s) of who you are not notarizing and write the word "only" next to the name of the person you are notarizing. (I'd also suggest initialing the change, but don't want to open that can of worms again.)

OR you can just ignore the preprinted certificate and attach a loose form.

Do NOT cross out names on the documents themselves, only the notarial certificates. The advice given is good in CA. Not sure about other states.

How do you get these signings?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.