Notary Rotary
Journal questions
Notary Discussion History

Journal questions
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Sasha-TX on 7/14/05 12:40pm
Msg #52094

Journal questions

What do you do if you make a mistake in on a Journal entry? I have a name and address entered on the wrong line. I have it crossed out, but now what?

2nd question- under document type notarized, do you list every single document you notarized, or just the DOT?

Reply by kynotary on 7/14/05 12:48pm
Msg #52097

I would just go ahead and enter the name and address on the correct line and/or use another line or make a statement indicating the error and indicate where the signature is that corresponds with the line that the name and address are on and move on, as this is bound to happen at some time or another.

2nd question: Every Document that you notarize needs to be listed.

Reply by Magic Lady on 7/14/05 1:08pm
Msg #52110

Any errors in your journal should be simply lined through and corrections made. You can use as many spaces as you want to add notations to a particular signigng, such as, "This signature is irregular, however, the signer is elderly and very coherent". This can jog your memory should you need to address it years later.

Secondly, every document you notarize should be listed in your journal. If you have two identical trust deeds, they would each be listed. Again, you could note that there were two, if you wish.

Remember, this is YOUR journal and you can make any notations to help you that you wish. I have been a notary for over 16 years. I have MANY journals. But, the notations I have made in them throughout the years will help me should I ever be questioned.

Reply by Bobbi in CT on 7/14/05 1:14pm
Msg #52115

Follow your STATE (TX) laws regarding this ...

If you cannot find the answer in your state manual. Ask your commissioning office; i.e., your Secretary of State Notary Public division.

For example, CT does NOT require a Journal and, therefore, there are NO GUIDELINES as to what to do when you keep one. How you handle a Journal in CT is a matter of personal preference and personal liability.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/14/05 1:24pm
Msg #52120

Sasha - you can find a complete copy of our educational materials at

http://www.texnotary.com/texnotaryedu.htm

You should list all documents notarized plus other info as you will see in the educational materials referenced above.

I realize it is a little bit overwhelming to learn about the Texas Journal, however, it's not as important to be perfect about a mistake as it is to get all the information required in the list. Also, you need to make sure and list the fee you were paid (that seems to be the biggy) .

If you purchase a MoJo journal here, it makes it a lot easier.

Reply by Pete/NY on 7/15/05 12:19am
Msg #52397

Brenda

This Texas site is really good. Would I call our SOS to get the website for NY that would provide me with better info?? Our Notary Law Primer leaves me confused at times. I wish I had something to look at that is this clear. Thanks.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.