Notary Rotary
Lexmark 232 Printer
Notary Discussion History

Lexmark 232 Printer
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Elisa_CA on 7/24/05 4:39pm
Msg #54297

Lexmark 232 Printer

Does anyone own the Lexmark 232 printer? I read a post from a few weeks ago regarding this printer and wanted to know how it was working out for that person. I found a good deal today at Staples and was thinking about it but wanted some feedback. Thanks.

Reply by IrisWA on 7/24/05 5:11pm
Msg #54303

Made some disparaging comments about Lexmark in a later post ... they refer ONLY to inkjets.... I have had some experience in various offices with their laserjets and they seemed quite good. I am unaware of any laserjet problems.

I don't specifically know whether the model about which you're asking is ink or laser -- I suspect you would be looking at laserjets in this business! If it's an inkjet, RUN, don't walk, to the nearest exit!

Reply by Elisa-CA on 7/24/05 5:20pm
Msg #54307

It is a laser printer. Do you know if 16MB is enough for printing? I am just torn if I sould by a cheapy- $99.00 right now for this one or wait a month or 2 and buy a good one that has 2 trays.

Reply by Rick_NY on 7/24/05 5:53pm
Msg #54314

The DELL I mentioned is expandable to 144MB memory and you can add the second drawer.

Reply by Rick_NY on 7/24/05 5:48pm
Msg #54312

I own a DELL 1700 laser printer since 12/2004. I have been pretty happy with it. Lexmark makes them for DELL, but the funny part is that the DELL toner is MUCH MORE ECONOMICAL than Lexmark laser toner, try 1/2 price.

Also, the imaging drum of the DELL is only $50.00 compared to $100.00 or more for other mfr's units. The duty cycle of the drum is 30,000 pages but I have done a lot more copies than that. The toner cartridge is $89.99/6,000 pages and is pretty reliable.

It can be expanded to hold an additional 550 sheet paper tray. It is now being sold for $149.00. The 232 is at Staples for $99.98 after the easy rebate, which is a great price, but you'll get killed after you order your first replacement cartridge. The cheap laser printers always seem to have very expensive supplies to keep them running.

I have done a lot of research on these small office/home office printers and I definitely think you'll get the most bang for the buck with DELL. [No, I do not own stock in the company.]

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/print_1700?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Reply by Elisa on 7/24/05 5:57pm
Msg #54317

Thank-you. I was looking at both the lexmark 232 and the dell 1700. I was thinking staples because I also have a $20 gift certificate so the printer would be a lot cheaper and I would get it tonight but after reading your post I am a bit concerned about the toner. If I bought the lexmark, would I have to buy Lexmark tomer or is there a generic/ cheaper brand that would work for this printer? The drum is something that needs to be replaced after a certain amount of pages have printed? As you can tell I don't know too much about printers! You also metioned expandable 55o shhet paper tray. Is that a second tray? Thanks again for your response. I am eager to figure this out today!

Reply by Elisa on 7/24/05 5:58pm
Msg #54318

Sorry- 1 more question- Memory how much is sufficient? 16MB or do I need 32? Thanks again Smiley

Reply by Rick_NY on 7/24/05 6:29pm
Msg #54323

Don't worry, Elisa, I took the "crash course" on printers before buying the DELL. I read just about every office machine review web site on the "Internets."

I don't trust the generic toner refills and the DELL operating cost is so economical I don't feel the need to try to find a generic refill.

The base printer comes with a 250 sheet tray. The base printer sits on top of the optional 550 sheet tray like a "piggy-back." There's a connector that plugs them into each other electronically, it just snaps on.

I did not invest in the extra tray or memory until I ran the machine for 3 months to get the feel if it would be a "keeper" for me.

I think the 16 mb memory is OK to start. Eventually, I purchased the 128MB memory module to upgrade to the full 144 MB [didn't want to full around.] It was around $60.00. The 550 add'l paper drawer was $100.00. I did these additions over time. It was relatively simple to add the memory, b/t/w.

My one complaint is that it doesn't seem to detect paper sizes in the doc file and do an auto switch from LTR to LGL size. I ended up printing the whole mixed size jobs on LGL if it's too tedious to separate the pages by size within the file. At least I don't have to fuss with switching trays, I just select the right size from the drivers.

It does make great print output, it is pretty fast on the huge Adobe files and very economical to run, tonerwise. I have very little problems with paper jams. I took the extended svce contract for one year for $20.00.

I'd buy the DELL and use the staples $20.00 card for a supply of good paper. Previously, I used the Konica Minolta 1350 for six months and then discarded it when I needed to replace the drum for $100.00. The printer itself only cost $100.00 on sale at office max!!

Good luck!

Reply by Elisa on 7/24/05 6:39pm
Msg #54325

I will purchase the Dell! Everything you said makes sense! It's ggod to know I can add the memory and additional tray later. I only do about 1 or 2 signings a week. When my kids are a little older and in school I will put more time and money into this but for now this sounds like a good investment. As far as printing everything on legal- is that okay to do and then just cut down thr documents for the companies to letter? I'm sure it dosen't matter for the borrower's so really it dosen't seem like a big deal to cut the rest? Most documents I come across are all legal except the DOT and a few others. Thanks for your input. I will order the DELL this evening. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

Reply by Nd_WA on 7/24/05 7:02pm
Msg #54330

Dell 1700 auto detect LGL/LTR

In order to have the printer automatically detect/switch between legal-letter, you have to set it through the printer set up utility from the disk that came with the printer. You then would only need to pick the "automatically select" in the print preference or printer properties under control panel.

You can also get a 6K yield refill toner & cartrige chip on Ebay for around $25.

Reply by Rick_NY on 7/24/05 7:12pm
Msg #54333

Re: Dell 1700 auto detect LGL/LTR

Hey, Nd, I take it you are a DELL 1700 owner.

I have tried that with the 'automatically select' but it does not seem to matter. Maybe it is an issue with the Adobe files--I don't know. I am OK printing all LGL but I will toy around more next time. Thank you.

I will look into that eBay supplier for the toner. Would you happen to recall his user i.d.?

Best regards,

Rick

Reply by Nd_WA on 7/24/05 7:34pm
Msg #54343

Rick_NY

Yes, I went with the Dell 1700 printer when I started June '04. I'm close to the 15K pages count and I'm on the third refill.

You must install the DRIVER & UTILITY disk that came with the printer to set the paper size in each tray, then do "automatically select" when printing.

I think there is only one seller on Ebay that sells the refill kit, just type "Dell 1700 printer" into the search.

Reply by Rick_NY on 7/24/05 8:04pm
Msg #54363

Re: Rick_NY

I'll have to look into that paper size setting more when I have time. Thank you, Andy.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.