Marketing Question

Notary Signing Agent
Remote Closer
Mobile Notary Closer
Certified Signing Agent
Loan Signing Agent
Mobile Closing Agent

Is the last one accurate legally?

Can I call myself a Mobile Closing Agent or is it reserved for Title Closers only? I've been called it by companies I work with but I've never referred to myself as anything but a signing agent. Any opinions?

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/22/05 7:32am
Msg #53831

You can call yourself almost anything you want. The term "closing agent" is not cast in stone in any official documentation (that I know of), except within some financial institutions, title/escrow companies, etc. However, if you read what most companies expect of their "Closing Agent", you will see that we do NOT do that job, completely. We do a very small piece of what a "Closing Agent" is required to do; we present the documents, obtain signatures on them, and identify the borrowers. Additionally, if the person is also a notary (which normally is the case), all signatures requiring notarization are notarized.

Commonly, many signing services, title companies and even lenders, call us "Remote Closers" in that we are performing a step in the closing process. But since we are not responsible for the creation of the document, nor the disbursement of funds, I would not consider myself a Closing "AGENT".

Reply by sue on 7/22/05 7:42am
Msg #53833

I think the lender refers to the title company as the 'closer'. The title company in return refers to us as 'closer'. When you get down to the signing service level they refer to us as 'signing agents'.

I do title company work and the majority of them don't have the word 'signer' anywhere in their vocabulary or in their written instructions. Received a mass e-mail yesterday from a title company and they said 'closing agents'. Confirmation yesterday says "All closers will be responsible to ..." Another confirmation reeived yesterday has me listed as closing agent. Package I'm finishing up right now from yesterday has me listed as 'closer' has closing date, closing location, etc., - 'signing' not mentioned anywhere.

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/22/05 8:07am
Msg #53837

For me pesonally, titles are not important, and I don't and won't refer to myself as a closer or closing agent of any type.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 7/22/05 5:53pm
Msg #53964

"agent" refers to your representation of someone. If I am called that and some one asks who I represent I say whoever hired me. I have an agency agreement with whoever is paying me.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.