Notary Rotary
Marriages
Notary Discussion History

Marriages
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by TrayKy on 7/29/05 11:33am
Msg #55638

Marriages

I know this may be way off base but for those notaries that perform weddings, do you have to perform the wedding based on a set of guidelines or can you make it your own? Can you take verses from the Bible? Like I said I may be way off base on this since in KY we do not do that service.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/29/05 11:38am
Msg #55644

I have some ceremonies I use and the bride and groom select from those, or they write their own.

Reply by Charles_CA on 7/29/05 11:39am
Msg #55648

The wedding can be anything the wedding party and the officiator agree to. However the paperwork has to be completed according to your jurisdictional requirements. California is a ceremony state and so a ceremony must be conducted but what that ceremony is is not specified. I haven't an inkling about Kentucky, I have a hard enough time staying out of trouble in my own area Smiley.

Reply by TrayKy on 7/29/05 11:49am
Msg #55654

In Ky we don't do weddings. However, I think that would be a great part of being a Notary as long as it was taken serious. Sure would beat having to deal with SS, LO, late docs, etc. It makes me feel better that you get to add a ceremony to make that day special. Good ups to all those who do that.

Reply by Charles_CA on 7/29/05 12:03pm
Msg #55673

I don't know how it works in your State but in the specific jurisdictions I work in the State of California allows Notary's to issue marriage licenses provided that the County Clerk allows it. Weddings can be performed by any ordained minister, some Countys require that you register as an ordained minister with the County Clerk. The two processes are separate in California. I agree that a ceremony makes for a special day. One must keep in mind the reason for the ceremony is ancient and proper. In the ancient times the cermony was to gurantee the family unit so the bond between the husband and wife were made very public so that all knew that one was promised to the other. In many religioous practices we see the posting of Banns of Marriage as a special anouncement to put all on notice that the marriage is imminent and that is also why in many ceremonies the question is asked whether anyone objects to the union, before the bride and groom are pronounced married.

Reply by TrayKY on 7/29/05 12:32pm
Msg #55688

Thanks Charles. Well put. There needs to be some importance put into the bond this day and age. Thanks again.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.