Notary Rotary
Massachusetts Notaries----- Important Information
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Estell==MA on 7/30/05 2:33pm
Msg #55936

Have any other Mass notaries recieved the letter from the Governors Council informing you that the Governor and his council approved an additional duty for Massachusetts Notaries?

Currently we can take acknowledgments, witness signatures, protests, jurats, administer oaths/affirmations, issue subpoenas, issue summonses, take depositions, and open bank safes.

Now according to the letter I got today we are authorized to take bail and issue temporary restraining orders. The letter also mentioned that in the future there is a slight possiblilty that Notaries Public will be federally regulated.

Would you say that federal regulation is good or bad?

I'm not implying that we are going to be federally regulated, I am saying that the letter says that in the future it may be a possiblity.

TIA

Reply by Estell Again on 7/30/05 2:35pm
Msg #55937

I forgot one duty... Certify copies ... n/m

Reply by Tina_MA on 8/1/05 11:49am
Msg #56168

I just spoke with Sharon Jones at the Governor's Legal Counsel. She stated that this info is incorrect, and that it sounds like something that the NNA sent out.

Ms. Jones indicated that just because the NNA sends you a notification regarding Notary Public duties, that is doesn't necessarily apply to Massachusetts Notaries.

You should really check with the Governor's Legal Counsel before posting erroneous info. Their telephone number is: 617-725-4030.

Also, when it pertains to any procedural or statute questions regarding your duties as a Notary Public, you should always call the Governor's Legal Counsel for advise and direction.

Reply by Estelle---MA on 8/1/05 4:05pm
Msg #56224

I wasn't intending on posting false information. I didn't believe it, which is why I posted the message asking if other notaries recieved this information. I truly didn't believe it because (1) we would have gotten a letter from the Governor's office, and (2) issuing temporary restraining orders when probable cause exists seems like the practice of law to me. What constitutes probable cause is the practice of law.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.