Notary Rotary
NNA article on FaxNotary.com
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by BrendaTX on 7/4/05 1:21pm
Msg #49761

I read on NNA's website there there is a problem with illegal acts via notarizing via fax. However, the website they refer to is not doing what NNA says...

If you are interested in this kind of notary business minutia, read the article at
http://www.nationalnotary.org//news/index.cfm?Text=newsNotary&newsID=611

Then, be sure to visit the site and compare what they say they do.
http://www.faxnotary.com (which now resolves to www.faxwitness.com)

Before anyone says I am picking on the NNA - not so. This is NOT to slam the NNA. There may be good reasons why this is such as it is...I just think it's something different to ponder.

I'd like to hear any info you'd know about this situation.

Brenda

Reply by Midwest on 7/4/05 1:27pm
Msg #49764

I just glanced at both articles. First off, the second co. is based in switzerland, that may have a lot to do with it. Second, I'm not sure what you are saying about the NNA. It does not seem like you are picking on them but I'm missing something. Can you clarify for me.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/4/05 1:32pm
Msg #49766

***I read on NNA's website there there is a problem with illegal acts via notarizing via fax. However, the website they refer to is not doing what NNA says...***

NNA says the site is offering for notaries to notarize by fax, and that's not what the site says they are doing. >>FaxNotary.com attempts to attract clients with its claim that notarizing documents can be made easier by using a fax machine instead of visiting a public Notary. Many companies like these are based outside of the United States, where Notaries follow different laws and are often given different powers. FaxNotary.com, for example, is based in Switzerland.<<

FaxNotary says: >>>Here is our service description: We verify and give witness that fax images of certified documents we host were sent to us by the public notary who notarized the document or the institution which issued the document. <<

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/4/05 1:40pm
Msg #49770

Oops, left off the message to Midwest:

Hope that post makes it clearer - Also, I investigated a little further and found that this service is definitely set up to work with US notaries.

They seem to want notaries to be willing to establish themselves as a FaxWitness Notary and be available to do these verifiable notarizations.

You (notary) charges $29.95 (suggested) on your end for the service of notarizing and uploading a copy of the notarized document to FaxWitness. FaxWitness then verifies to the receiving end that they are certain it came from a bonified real notary.

Supposedly, FaxWitness makes their money by charging the person needing to see the notarization.

Reply by Midwest on 7/4/05 3:04pm
Msg #49781

I think I get it, you are saying that the NNA is contradicting themselves. It's bad when someone else does it, but what they are introducing is ok. Again, did not read the whole article. The faxnotary just does not make sense to me. This is a face to face business.

Please excuse me, too many parties this weekend and I'm off to another one. I think I've damadged a few braincells.

Reply by Pete/NY on 7/4/05 4:58pm
Msg #49787

How about this one...I've had several cancellations and the borrower's told me not to worry, they'll do it over the phone. I still have to figure out how this is legal???? The SS couldn't tell me and neither could anyone at the branches.

Reply by Pete/NY on 7/4/05 4:58pm
Msg #49788

How about this one...I've had several cancellations and the borrower's told me not to worry, they'll do it over the phone. I still have to figure out how this is legal???? The SS couldn't tell me and neither could anyone at the branches.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/4/05 6:40pm
Msg #49793

The NNA is obviously correct in their approach that we cannot notarize a document faxed to us by the signer, unless that signer is in our presence and the signature is an original signature. But the NNA, in their infinite wisdom, is thinking that FaxNotary / FaxWitness is offering notarizations to faxed documents, and this is not the case. FaxWitness merely is a repository of valid notarized documents that are uploaded by "FaxWitness Notaries". This is no different than the recording clerks uploading recorded documents so they can be viewed online. The original signature must be notarized per state law before uploading a copy of the document to FaxWitness.

To wit: On the FaxWitness website, there is an example of what they do. It states.

[quote]

Please try out the following example:

Business Certificate: James has a business and would like to show that he is trustworthy. He is a member of the Better Business Bureau (BBB). James prints a fax transmittal sheet at our website and then visits a notary who faxes a notarized copy to us. James includes the following text in his online and paper advertising. "I am a member of the BBB. To view a notarized copy of my membership certificate please visit: FaxWitness.com Document: 9516162 (password: test)".
https://www.faxwitness.com/docs/9516162.pdf

[end quote]

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/4/05 6:44pm
Msg #49795

Re: NNA article on FaxNotary.com - agree 100% n/m

Reply by Ernest_CT on 7/4/05 7:16pm
Msg #49797

The NNA article is all wrong about FaxNotary.Com!

FaxNotary.Com is not about notarizing a faxed document!

Have people had any experience with FaxWitness.Com? If so, what was YOUR experience?

Reply by phillynotary on 7/5/05 12:19pm
Msg #49866

You know what the funniest thing about all this is? The NNA is giving free advertising to FaxNotary! Now anyone who just takes the time to read realizes the NNA doesn't quite know what they're talking about, and notaries will sign up! I know I will...

Reply by phillynotary on 7/5/05 12:20pm
Msg #49867

Oops, meant to write FaxWitness...

Reply by SamIam_CA on 7/5/05 12:57pm
Msg #49879

I agree with you. I'm signing up today. I guess for the reference I will give the CA SOS. It does not cost us anything and is a good advertising gimmick. If/when my website is up I will definitely market this service.

Reply by SamIam_CA on 7/6/05 3:37pm
Msg #50083

Just an FYI...I filled out the fax witness form this morning and they approved me for their system about 4 hours later. Love that Swiss efficiency.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.