Notary Rotary
Nation Signature Closers/Non-payment
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Jay-NoCal on 7/23/05 3:40pm
Msg #54160

I'm still waiting for payment from a signing in May. When I called, I talked to someone who was not in the accounting dept because they were to busy. The lady was nice and said she would check things out. I had talked to this lady before in regards to the same problem. She said she would call me back with an answer.

She called the next morning and said the accounting dept said the check had cleared the bank two days from the initial call I made to the lady. When I asked to speak to the accounting dept, she stated they were to busy and she would again notify them of the problem.

I will again try to make contact with the accounting dept to resolve this situation next week.

To sum it up, I just wanted to warn other notaries of just another ploy to avoid payment of signing companies, and of course to vent. Jay

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/23/05 3:49pm
Msg #54164

Jay, they are all caught up with me and paying just fine at this point. They were behind, but I think they have it ironed out from my perspective.

What happened with my check was the address did not print on it. Just name and town. They said it came back. This was in June. It's fine now.

Again, they are caught up with me at this time.

Reply by Joan-OH on 7/23/05 4:12pm
Msg #54168

Don't discount "the check has been cashed" line. In my 2.5 years doing this, 2 times I have had someone elses check in the envelope with mine and once it was 2 separate envelopes, but they were stuck together. Of course I addressed and envelope and mailed it to who it was intended for, but maybe someone didn't or just didn't notice.

Joan-OH

Reply by Cherilyn in CO on 7/23/05 5:58pm
Msg #54179

I've also received someone else's check...

Her name was Cheryl so had I not looked twice, I may have cashed it too.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/23/05 9:07pm
Msg #54194

Re: I've also received someone else's check...

And then there are those notaries with the same name that apparently don't keep books. I've "lost" three checks in the past year because they were sent to the wrong person ... same name, but different address (not even the same state). At any rate, the checks were cashed (actually deposited) in his account. So my repeated dunning notices went unanswered and the title companies and signing agencies thought I was some kind of nut case. That is, until it was straighted out and checks were re-issued to me. I do not know if the "other" notary was contacted and asked to return the funds, but if it were my company I sure would.

The underlying thing that I don't understand about my situation is, how can one run a business and not keep records? If I get a check in the mail, I have to post it against an invoice. I simply cannot endorse it and deposit it. Maybe the "other" notary was thinking that someone really loved him and was just sending him money, just because. Who knows!

Reply by LauriecPA on 7/23/05 9:55pm
Msg #54200

Re: I've also received someone else's check...

Paw, that has happened to me 3 times now! (and I've only been doing closings for 2 years.) The other notary has a similar name and lives in another state. I thought it was a disgrace that this person cashed the checks when they have all clearly stated (at least when I finally received them!) the borrower's name and closing city/state. Maybe it's like you said, rather than being dishonest, they just didn't keep records.
The last time it happened I had such a hard time getting the $$ back b/c the title co. said they had to wait for her to send them the $$ back before they could issue me a check. I couldn't understand this reasoning b/c I had performed the service, the other notary was paid, and if she didn't pay them back, I couldn't get paid? After two weeks of me calling them every day, I got my check.

Reply by LauriecPa on 7/23/05 10:33pm
Msg #54203

I mean, someone else has received MY check!...

Reply by jojo_MN on 7/24/05 9:07am
Msg #54225

I've completed 8 closings for them this year and received every one within three weeks. Luckily haven't had any other the problems you did.

Reply by LawrenceOK on 7/24/05 11:30am
Msg #54243

I have has something similar happen to me with another SS. I told them to have the accounting dept. send me a copy of the processed check so I could file fraud & forgery charges against whomever cashed it. I got the check by FedEx the next day.

Reply by wade/ar on 7/24/05 5:56pm
Msg #54316

I too had a delay in payment for the month of May. They fixed it immediately. Got my June payments and my May payments came by Fed Ex.

Nations Signature Closers sends me quite a bit of business; May was the first time I experienced a delay. However, when I called them about it, they handled it immediately.

Be patient, it's coming!! They are good people to work with.

Reply by LauriecPA on 7/24/05 10:15pm
Msg #54405

Lawrence, thanks for the great tip! B/c this has happened to me 3 times already, I may have to use that info in the future!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.