Notary Rotary
Newbie Question
Notary Discussion History

Newbie Question
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by LS_Ca on 7/23/05 12:08pm
Msg #54116

Newbie Question

i realize that when recording someones drivers license you record the # however is it a requirement that you also record the exp date?

Reply by Donna_CA on 7/23/05 12:22pm
Msg #54119

I always include the exp date. Even if the card is expired CA law allows us to accept the DL or ID if the issue date is within 5 years. So if I didn't put the date, I don't know how I could confirm it was or wasn't within the time frame.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/23/05 12:24pm
Msg #54120

Whether it's a requirement or not, it is good policy to do so. Why? Many states require the ID to be current (or issued within the past 5 years), including CA. If you didn't record the issue and expiration dates, then you would have no way to be able to answer if the license was valid, if asked next year. Granted, you are responsible to ensure that the statutes regarding identity are followed, but it is always better to have "proof" that you followed the law, if ever necessary.

Reply by LS_Ca on 7/23/05 12:38pm
Msg #54123

THANK YOU ALL !!

Reply by Rick_NY on 7/24/05 9:19am
Msg #54227

I would transcribe the d/l i.d. number, the issue AND exp. dates, the d.o.b., and the name and address as shown on the i.d.

So it will take you a minute but now you are entirely covered.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.