OT-Horrible Experience With My Son and Nephews-Unbelieveable
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by ItsMe123 on 7/5/05 8:31am
Msg #49827

I am still reeling from this--it is just soaking in

Every 4th of July we, as a family, start our holiday with a breakfast that is put on by the Elks's at the Elk's park. The park is right on Lake Michigan so usually after the breakfast we go down to the beach. Well this 4th was no different than any other and we did just this. The weather was crummy so it was just us and a few teenagers/young adults on the beach. My five year old, my three year old nephew and my nine year old nephew were in the water and I was standing at the shore doing the normal mom's beach chant, "Boys, you are too far out, come closer in" Well I caught something a foot or so out in the water and could not believe my ears. I had to regroup and look again. Surely my eyes were deceiving me. I called my mother over and pointed it out to her----her expression alone told me my eyes indeed saw what they saw. I quickly called the boys out of the water and they started to walk stright for what was in my eyesight. I motioned and motioned for them to go the other way--trying not to cause to big of a ruckus. My mom finished getting the boys out of the water and I called 911 to report there was a human body in the water. There was no way to keep it from the boys as the body moved closer and closer to shore. The body was badly decomposed and was missing some parts--what remained would be better described as a torso. The 911 operator asked me if legs were present and I told her no. She then went on to tell me after I was shocked at her question that a foot in a boot had been discovered about a mile or two down the beach where we were. The body then started to drift outward. By now the boys were in a panic and the teenagers/young adults, seeing what was going on, came to where we were. I didn't know what to do as I watched the body head back out into the water rather than closer to the beach. I called 911 back and told them and they said to try to get the body towards the beach without touching it. The teenagers helped with this as the 911 operator stayed on the phone. This made things all the worse for the boys--I had no idea what to do. I told the operator that I could not stay longer because the little kids (my son and my nephew) were horrified. She said if the teenagers/young adults stayed with the body that I could leave with the children. I did this right away. It turns out this body belonged to a young man that had fallen--been carried off a local pier. The grief his family must have I cannot understand. I do try to look at this horrible event with some good light as his family can have some much needed closure. I feel such sorrow for them.

It will be a rough road to get the boys back in the lake again. I really don't know how to approach it. I figure I will just once again bring them to the beach and see how they respond. If they go in to swim we will move forward. If not I will seek professional help for them.

Please send a prayer up for the family of this young man.

Reply by Lydia Esther/Fl on 7/5/05 9:45am
Msg #49832

OH my God - I can not believe what you and your family went thru !!!!

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/5/05 10:13am
Msg #49838

Re: OT-Horrible Experience With My Son and Nephews-Unbelieve

That's very difficult and traumatizing. My prayers are with all of you.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 7/5/05 10:21am
Msg #49840

Our prayers are with you all. n/m

Reply by DellaCa on 7/5/05 10:54am
Msg #49851

Re: Our prayers are with you all. n/m

Reply by Iris_WA on 7/5/05 10:40am
Msg #49847

How traumatic! My thoughts for your son and nephews' emotional recovery (and yours, as well) are with you! (As they are with the family of the victim!)

Reply by Sam I am on 7/5/05 10:41am
Msg #49848

Re: OT-Horrible Experience With My Son and Nephews-Unbelieva

Tragic. Thinking of you and the kids. And you are right that it is actually best for the dead man's family. Sorry it had to be you that found him.

Reply by Linda/NJ on 7/5/05 11:05am
Msg #49855

My prayers are with you, your family and also the victims family, for a Godspeed recovery of the mental trauma that you all have experienced. God Bless and stay well. Linda

Reply by Valcat_SoCal on 7/5/05 12:53pm
Msg #49875

I am so sorry to hear this happened to you and your family, and sad to hear about the young victim as well. Prayers always help. You will be in mine.

Reply by Charm_AL on 7/5/05 2:50pm
Msg #49901

disturbing to say the least, I hope the boys will get past it without professional help. My hubby had a very similar experience years ago on Lake Erie.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.