Notary Rotary
Ohio Handbook
Notary Discussion History

Ohio Handbook
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by ladynotary7/OH on 7/18/05 3:07am
Msg #52881

Ohio Handbook

Attn OH notaries: where can I find a handbook - I don't mean the thin pocket-sized one that you get when you apply for a commission. Isn't there one that gives in-depth information about our duties, responsibilities & procedures according to the O.R.C.?

Reply by Joan-OH on 7/18/05 7:25am
Msg #52888

Nope, there isn't one. We do, however, have about 5 pages of Ohio revised code. I have provided a link.

http://www.sos.state.oh.us/sos/notary/index.html

If you go to the SOS site, please disregard the Q&A section. It is riddled with errors and is contradictory to the code.

In Ohio, the SOS refers all questions to your Local Bar Association and it is very likely they will be running the testing for you as they did in my county. Each county has their own pamphlet and test and their really isn't any consistancy. I know Ohio notaries who call their Bar association for answers to their notarial questions. My local assn will not answer emails or return calls.

The NNA has an Ohio book that is also filled with what they think Ohio law should be and not what it actually is.

Best Advise, Read the Ohio Revised Code and stick with that.

Joan-OH

Reply by Ladynotary7/OH on 7/18/05 10:51pm
Msg #53012

Thanks, Joan. I have already been commissioned, I just wanted to look up some things I had read on this board - just to see how they pertain to us "Buckeyes." I'm new and don't want to make any unneccesary mistakes. I searched but couldn't find - thanks again.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.