Notary Rotary
PAW_FL or anyone - Need your help
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Pete/NY on 7/13/05 4:44pm
Msg #51777

I always enjoy reading your comments. I have a question though. I read through the threads on how to work with bainstall. I have the exe file on my PC which is using Windows ME. I see that fiks had it working on his/her laptop so it should work on my system.

What I would like to know is whether I will have any difficulty printing to my Brother laser printer. I usually only get PDF files which are no problem. My printer supports PCL4 but not anything higher. Would you know if PCL6 is required here? Or perhaps some other protocol?

Thanks for your help.

Reply by SherryB on 7/13/05 7:56pm
Msg #51836

I own a signing agency in FL and I know that Brothers have A LOT of problems when it comes to printing docs...One of the first questions I ask a potential agent is what type of printer they own. If they say Brother, I tend to shy away from them because there have been so many times that I have scrambled at the last minute to replace a closer because they were unable to print docs on their Brother. My suggestion...if this this is your career, you may want to invest in a HP 1300 or better. I have never had an HP that couldn't print docs..Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

Reply by CaliNotary on 7/13/05 8:03pm
Msg #51838

I've been using a Brother MFC8220 for the past year. I do a ton of edocs and have never had any difficulty getting any of them to print. I don't think it's the Brother printers specifically that are the problem, it's probably that they didn't have PCL on them.

Reply by SherryB on 7/13/05 9:15pm
Msg #51855

You may be right...I also think that it is the older Brothers that tend to have more trouble.

Reply by Marla FL on 7/13/05 10:30pm
Msg #51881

I bought a Brother about a month ago. PCL 6 21 or 22 ppm. I returned it within the first two weeks and got a refund after the first lender online printing software that was not compatible with my new printer. I am now the proud owner of a Dell 1700 w/dual trays one hold 225 sheets and the other holds 550 sheets. It prints 25 ppm and I paid $251 with tax. It was slightly more expensive but it was like trading my Honda for a Benz. Two thumbs up for Dell.

Reply by Pete/NY on 7/13/05 11:06pm
Msg #51890

Thanks Marla. I'll look into it.

Reply by Nd_WA on 7/13/05 11:12pm
Msg #51892

Marla...Toner refill for Dell 1700

You can get the cartridge chip and 2 high yield (6K pages) refill toner for around $30 on ebay. One thing about the Dell printer is many do not know it has a 200Mhz processor instead of 133Mhz found in others of its range.

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/14/05 8:35am
Msg #51950

Re: Dell printer

Does Dell actually build printers, or are they putting their name on it, i.e., Sears Kenmore = Hotpoint, GE, etc?

If it is not Dell made, do you know the *real* brand name?

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/14/05 8:51am
Msg #51956

Re: Dell printer

From a Dell press release, dataed Sept. 24, 2002:

Dell Computer has inked an agreement with Lexmark International Group to sell printers.

Dell, confirming analyst speculation, said Tuesday it has reached an agreement to work with the Lexington, Ky.-based printer maker to create a line of Dell-branded inkjet and laser printers. The companies will also create a line of Dell-branded printer supplies, such as ink cartridges. All of the new products will be sold directly to customers.

Reply by Pete/NY on 7/13/05 11:06pm
Msg #51889

Thanks Cali. As I mentioned in my response to Sherry, maybe Kinko's can print themm out for me if I can't.

Reply by Pete/NY on 7/13/05 11:03pm
Msg #51887

Thanks SherryB. I will probably run into problems tomorrow. Too late to buy another printer. My 2 Brother lasers have been doing a super job, but I've only had to print out PDF files. I was thinking that maybe I can shoot the e-docs over to kinko's and they can print them out?? What do you think?? Thanks for the help.

Reply by SherryB on 7/14/05 5:50am
Msg #51923

I had to do that a few times when I was a SA..Good idea just make sure that the SS or TA is Ok with it...some are real quirky about sending docs because of the sensitive information being seen by someone other than yourself. Best of luck!

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/14/05 8:15am
Msg #51946

Pete,
I would highly suggest you upgrade your Windows ME.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.