Notary Rotary
Perspective of a Signing Agency
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by SherryB on 7/13/05 8:35pm
Msg #51845

I own a signing agency out of Florida. In reading some of your threads, I thought it might be beneficial to begin posting so that I can share my perspective in this crazy industry. I have owned my agency for about 3 years now. I was actually an agent myself until I decided I wanted to stay home with my daughter more and began delving the work out. Little did I know, it was at times easier to be closing the loans than to own a signing agency.

I guess my main goal for posting is to let you all know that there are some signing agencies out there that try our best to operate with honesty and integrity. I am in the same predicament as you are (except on a grander scale) when it comes to collecting debts, etc....I am currently battling a title company in court for $5000 in back invoices that he is refusing to pay because I would not ask my notary to back date docs. I have since spent over $3000 in lawyers fees trying to collect legitimate debt from this client. Talk about frustrating. Even though I have yet to recoup this money, ALL of my closers have been paid.

We recently ran into a problem with a notary who did not receive payment in a timely fashion. He performed a closing for us in April and at the end of July, I receive an email full of threats. He stated that if I didnt pay, he would contact the borrower, title company, FLMNA, and the lender. This was the first inquiry we ever received regarding this. Well in researching this matter, I realized that I had made an error..he was not paid and it was my fault. I emailed him back and apologized profusely for my error. I even attempted to contact him to apologize only to be hung up on. I sent payment out immediately that day (Friday). Well on Monday, I receive a call and email from my client (title company). This closer emailed the title company making threats and bashing my company...OK believe me, I know that there are SA's out there that are horrible so I can understand the frustration but isnt this a little drastic. My company normally pays every 2 weeks (usually before we are even paid) but occassionally there is an oversight (especially on the first closing you perform)...we are human. I guess my point is is that we all need to work together....I know that my company cannot be successful without you guys. I value the relationships that I have with the notaries that I work with just as much as I value my clients. So please try and give signing agencies the benefit of the doubt the first time a situation arises. Give them the opportunity to make things right before the fur flies...We arent all deceiptful, lying and evil...some agencies actually do operate with ethics and values (including mine ;) ) Thanks for letting me vent..LOL

Reply by Paul2_FL on 7/13/05 8:49pm
Msg #51846

I'm not going to comment of the SA's action other than to say he should have done some research on your company on this forum or others to see if you had a history of no pay/slow pay. If it turns out that you have a good rating, then he should have given you time to correct the situation.
I appreciate your being candid with us SA's. I wish all SS companies were like you.

Reply by SherryB on 7/13/05 8:56pm
Msg #51847

Thanks Paul....I dont think my company has been rated good or bad on any site as of yet. I am not sure I want to be judged on any sites anyway because of situations exactly like this...Because of 1 bad experience (that was totally my fault), this SA thinks that I am a bad apple...

I have often talked with some of my colleagues about setting up a site that rates SA's. There are a ton of great ones out there but there are also some that have no clue what they are doing. As a SS, we take a big risk when we venture out of our normal loop and use a new SA. Our reputation is riding on their performance...so maybe we should have a place to rate them..Not sure if that is legal though.

I appreciate your input..Have a great evening!

Reply by BMoon/FL on 7/13/05 9:05pm
Msg #51848

I have done signings for Sherry before. She is definitely one of the good ones.

Reply by SherryB on 7/13/05 9:10pm
Msg #51852

Thanks Barb..How are you doing? I appreciate the compliment..It has always been a pleasure working with you too...

Reply by Paul2_FL on 7/13/05 9:09pm
Msg #51851

SherryB, Actually, you explaining the situation and acknowledging that the error was yours, goes a long way in establishing good relationships with SA's. (At least this one!)

Reply by SherryB on 7/13/05 9:12pm
Msg #51853

That was my intention but it wasnt taken that way unfortunately...As I stated before, we all need to work together because relationships between SS's and SA's are mutually beneficial.

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/14/05 7:40am
Msg #51935

*I dont think my company has been rated good or bad on any site as of yet. I am not sure I want to be judged on any sites anyway because of situations exactly like this*

This is exactly why I don't put much stock into no-no lists. A company can end up on a no-no list for any number of reasons -- one person's no-no company can be another's bread and butter.

Thanks for telling your side of the biz.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/13/05 9:23pm
Msg #51856

Sherry, I have some questions that I'd like some answers for 'cos I just don't get it on this nonpayment deal, and on fees that the signing agency collects. (btw, thanks for showing up here).

1st: Why is it that payment to NSA's cannot be processed within 5-7 days after a loan/sales closes?

I have been a title officer for a large title insurer for many years and also a notary for the past 8. I know dam well that once a loan closes, escrow must wire out (or send certifed checks) for every demand they receive - those demands can be for many, many things, ranging from child support payments to liens on property from a water company, up to and including the notary fee. TC's just don't hang on to $ - they can't. So, if you receive your funds very, very quickly after closing, why in your opinion, DON'T signing companys pay in a way more timely fashion that 30 to 45 days after the fact?? I do this part time, and I'm owed right now over $600 for signings I did over 30 days ago (I know the loans have closed because I have records to every county in CA and believe me, I follow up). To me it's inexcusable and poor business at best that these NSA's have to beg and plead for their money. Would like your opinion on that.

2nd: On the HUD settlement statement, I'm tired of trying to explain to borrowers, that NO, I don't get $350 for this signing (and I'm not going to tell them what I DO get). Once the HUD is prepared by escrow, these figures aren't estimates any more. So I am safe in assuming that of my $125 fee, that the SS gets $225? If so, I'm on the wrong side of this and I'm wondering how your fees are structured and why your service nets more than me who actually signs the borrower. Its free trade in this country - I don't normally have an opinion on how much the SS gets as long as I'm happy with my fee (hey, if you can get it, than good for you) but just trying to figure this out.

Would appreciate your perspective on this as question no. 1 has been making me crazy ever since I started doing signings.

Thanks.

Reply by SherryB on 7/13/05 9:35pm
Msg #51858

In response to your first questions...In a perfect world, when disbursements are made, the SS should be paid and in turn the SA should be paid...In reality that does not happen...I have some companies who only pay me once per month so that means I as a SS have to float that title company because I pay my closers every 2 weeks regardless of if I have received payment or not. I am currently trying to collect $4000 from a client for all closing completed in June. Other companies save up a stack of checks and send them when they feel like it and yes there are a handful that actually pay when the loan disburses (but they are few and far between)....As stated in my previous email..I am still owed $5000 by a TC but the closers were paid for their work....so basically I went weeks without paying myself so I could pay the closers.

Regarding part 2...I am being up front and honest regarding my fees (not sure how everyone else operates) but we charge our clients $150 for a single edoc loan...We pay our closers $100...As far as the HUD...not sure what is on the individual HUDS..would hope that it would be $150 but if its more, I have to assume that the TC is pocketing the money....Again, I am not saying this is the standard fee schedule in the industry but this is how we operate.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 7/13/05 9:43pm
Msg #51859

Are you nationwide? If not, what states do you serve? Oh, and what is the name of your company? contact info?

Reply by SherryB on 7/13/05 9:46pm
Msg #51860

We are nationwide BUT we are JUST starting to venture out of Florida so we are not actively seeking notaries on the west coast as of yet...We have mainly been focusing on the east coast right now. We are growing quicker than we can keep up with..... My companies name is SLB SIGNING SERVICES, INC.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 7/13/05 9:55pm
Msg #51865

Thank you for the quick reply. I'd be happy to sign up when you do branch out. One thing that I can tell you about getting a bad review is this. It takes more than one bad review to earn a bad reputation (it would have to be something real extreem in order for that to happen). When I research postings if there are a few good reviews and just one bad review I will definately give the company a try. I understand that occasionaly there can be oversights, most of us do.

Reply by SherryB on 7/13/05 10:02pm
Msg #51868

That sounds like a plan...I think I may be posting occassionally on here so I am sure we will run into eachother. I'll keep you in mind when we do venture out your way...

Reply by Anon on 7/13/05 10:10pm
Msg #51871

C120284 SLB SIGNING SERVICES, INC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
National Signing Service

About: We are a full service, nationwide signing agency. We are here and ready to serve you with all of your closing needs. Come see what sets US apart from THE REST.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address: aa, Deltona, FL 32738
Added: 10/28/2004
Web: http://www.slbsigningservices.com/
Type: Signing Service
States: ALL,
Phone: 1-386-216-1261
Fax: 1-772-365-4692

Title: CEO
Phone: 1-386-216-1261
Fax: 1-772-365-4692

Pages:
Loan
Types Signing Service 0 0,
Search: Search- NoLight | InfSeek | AltaVis | Yahoo | Excite | HotBot | WebCr | Lycos |
News- Yahoo | Newspage | | NewsWrk PRWire | BWire | BWiz |

Reply by SherryB on 7/13/05 10:14pm
Msg #51874

Not sure where you found the info but our number has changed....it is now 888-362-3656...

Reply by Marla FL on 7/13/05 9:50pm
Msg #51861

I have worked with Sherry and John. My experience with them has been great and look forward to many more signings. They run a very smooth operation from my experience.

Reply by SherryB on 7/13/05 9:51pm
Msg #51862

Thank you Marla and we enjoy working with you too..Glad that Wendy referred you to us!!!

Reply by Marla FL on 7/13/05 9:54pm
Msg #51863

Me too. Sherry, you know there is a bad apple in every bunch. You made a legitimate mistake and I think it shows something regarding his professionalism. The oil rises to the top and you are better off for knowing the way that he handles difficult situations.

Reply by SherryB on 7/13/05 10:00pm
Msg #51867

You are totally right Marla..I just get overly defensive when someone questions my honesty and integrity...I think thats a sore spot for me because I do work diligently to try and be fair and treat SA's with the respect that they deserve...I probably get a little more offended than most..LOL

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/13/05 9:54pm
Msg #51864

Thanks for answering - I've asked this of several escrow officers and their answer is always the same - the notary fee is paid at close of each escrow, period, not in lump sums. Perhaps this is the policy of my company, but I've been led to believe that it is requirements made by law in this state (for escrow practice).

I know that each escrow file has to be balanced at each and every close, and the file has to be balanced true to the HUD statement. There's no money being "pocketed". It has to go somewhere.

Thanks for your answers, appreciate your post.

Reply by Jon on 7/13/05 11:24pm
Msg #51896

TitleGal,

I can tell you that I know several TC and also escrow co that DO NOT pay the signing service at the close of escrow. I also know that they pad the signing fee on the HUD by $25 to $100 over what they are actually being charged. I have said many times that what you see on the HUD is not necessarily what the signing service gets. The way things are SUPPOSED to be are not always the way they are.

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/14/05 7:55am
Msg #51937

**I also know that they pad the signing fee on the HUD by $25 to $100 over what they are actually being charged. I have said many times that what you see on the HUD is not necessarily what the signing service gets. **

OK, I haven't been up long and just beginning to drink my coffee, but if the fee is padded and we as SAs aren't getting it and the SSs aren't getting it -- who is getting it--the TC? Or, from another view, if you are saying the Borrowers aren't actually being charged this $25-$100 padding, how are the figures going to jive then?

Reply by Jon on 7/14/05 10:16am
Msg #51984

The TC or escrow co pockets it, probably with the rational that it will help cover the deals they have to pay twice due to screw-ups.

Reply by CrystalT_FL on 7/14/05 8:09am
Msg #51942

I concur - myself and a partner tried an informal "network," not really an official signing agency, and that only lasted 3 months. Not only do many TC's not disburse immediately, but the SS is expected to eat a lot of charges. Like if a signing is split between 2 appointments, the notary gets paid extra but the TC doesnt care. Or they say "oops forgot a doc, can the notary go back out?" Or it cancels during recission, they expect another trip for free because they can only charge for one. Even if your contact person at the TC approves the extra fee, the funding manager turns around and cuts the check for what they want anyway. Very frustrating. And the fee on the HUD means nothing - many TC's juggle the figures to whatever the LO is confortable with. LO may say "Im not approving $x for an outside closer" so they lower it and take the difference from their oeprating account. Or vice versa, LO whines about a different fee, they pad the OC and skim the difference.

We also quickly figured out that you are on the hook for a 12 to 15 hour day whether you are coordinating 3 signings or 10. So unless you can commit to high volume, the payoff is better when you are just the notary. Also, we really enjoyed working with the majority of our notaries, but encountering a bonehead is like getting a bad shrimp - ruins your taste for the entire rest of the plate. Not worth the stress!

Reply by John from SLB on 7/14/05 8:48am
Msg #51954

I love the "bad shrimp" analogy.... right on!

Reply by CrystalT_FL on 7/14/05 9:21am
Msg #51968

We did the same thing, ended up not being worth it. (We are taking a TC to small claims court for $2500)

Many SA's look at it as "why should the SS make more than me, I'm doing the actual work." But they dont realize how much work *does* go into the scheduling.

Typical situation: TC calls "we *might* have one today in such and such town. No details yet, but its supposed to be this evening, this lender is VIP so line someone up right away

OK we make a few calls, find a notary

Details come in - guess what, not even close to the notary we found. Make a few more calls, find another notary

5pm TC calls, "just kidding - not today." We call notary, who is not happy.

Next morning TC calls - "still on for today for that one we called about from yesterday? This time its for 3pm"

We call notary, not available today, make a few more calls, find another notary

2pm - no docs yet. Notary calls us, we call TC, TC calls lender, "docs almost ready", TC calls us, we call notary back

2:30 still no docs - we call TC, TC calls lender, "another hour at the most", TC calls us, we call notary. Notary then advises us that they are booked solid for rest of evening - if cant do it at 3, then no go. Dance begins of haggling with notary "can you switch something around." Notary agrees, we will contact them as soon as docs arrive.

4pm Notary finishes the closing they juggled, calls us. No docs yet. We call tC, TC calls lender - "sending them right now." TC calls us, we call notary, who hopefully can juggle another closing. TC still has to prepare HUD and wait for LO approval.

5pm Notary calls again, we forward docs but tell them theres no HUD yet. We call TC, still waiting for LO approval for HUD, they're sure its coming any second. Call notary, tell them to go ahead and start printing.

5:30 call TC, TC says "LO went home, no approval, guess it will have to be tomorrow." Great, now we owe notary for printing, since docs will have to be redrawn.

Next AM TC calls, got approval, no new loan docs, can the notary backdate?

AAAAARRRRRGGGH

At the end of the day my ear is bleeding and my head is pounding. Dont tell me I didnt earn my measily $25 on the deal, please :-)))

Not to mention the time spent courting the TC's in terms of merketing, so you have assignments in the first place to keep your notaries in business.

Also the SS has to pay many extra notary fees out of pocket, the TC pays the flat fee regardless of extra trips etc. Many TC's only pay once for a loan, even if it recinds and is redrawn - the notary gets paid twice, but not the SS. Or cancels - the notary gets a trip fee, the SS often cant get it from the TC because nothing funded.

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/14/05 9:40am
Msg #51971

Re: Why it is ...

that some TC's have their act together when others never will -- i.e., SS calls on Thursday for a Wednesday signing. After accepting signing, docs are received by FedEx on Saturday or Monday -- when other TC's do the two-step back and forth to Zero hour and can *still* never get the docs to the SA?

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/14/05 9:41am
Msg #51973

Now we're talking turkey, and so much better than the generalizations and assumptions I got in the earlier answer. This scenario, I can believe 100% from my own daily experience with lenders, last minute closing problems and their very demanding - and sometimes impossible - requests (and my interaction is no where near the level of escrow's).

Thanks Crystal for helping me out here. Now that 'Elvis has left the building' I appreciate the reality of the SS part of this deal that you stepped up and posted.

Reply by CrystalT_FL on 7/14/05 10:05am
Msg #51980

Firm believer in sharing all of our experiences! Part of the education, the more we all know about the industry, the better we can make it.

Reply by LawrenceOK on 7/14/05 10:46am
Msg #52015

There is a sure fire cure to the late doc BS. Dont set the appointment UNTILL the docs are READY. Also, is it not illegal to PAD the HUD? I am well aware of what an SS has to go through and I sympathise with all of you. However, why should I as the SA have to accept a trip fee just because the borrower uses his right to rescind. I made the trip, I got the docs signed, I did my job.
If docs were left out of the original package and need notarized, then WHY do you only want to pay a trip charge? I travel the same distance, get the docs signed, again I did my job.
If a second trip is required due to MY errors, then I will be most happy to return on my dime.
Why do you not want to pay a rescheduling fee when there are no docs for the scheduled appiontment time? It is an inconvenience to the borrower and to me, not to mention the other borrowers that you want me to SHUFFLE around.
I do not mind getting my checks within 30 days, however waiting 45 to 60 days just tells me that those SS's do not have adequate capital on hand. Any company that has to wait untill they get paid to pay others will not be in business very long.

Reply by CrystalT_FL on 7/14/05 11:20am
Msg #52050

That was our point - we would pay the full price to the notary for a redraw, even if we (SS) had to eat it. We would pay even if we had to wait for our money. We always treated our notaries as we would want to be treated. I cant answer for other SS's - and I dont work for ones who dont structure their fees to my liking either. Joys of capitalism - if a mutually beneficial agreement cant be reached, no one forces you to take the assignment.

As to scheduling the appt when the docs are ready, thats really a lender/broker problem. The TC is stuck in the middle, so is the SS. Some TC's will put up with it from a lender who is a big client, or potentially so. But you cant even say "well I just wont schedule for that TC until docs are in hand" because some of their other lenders are good, or maybe even that lender is usually OK but having a bad day. And the later you wait to contact a notary, the better the chance that your favorites are booked and you'll end up with someone who needs more hand-holding. Its a delicate balancing act for everyone.

BTW I wouldnt pay a full signing fee for a trip for one or two docs to anyone. The full price covers travel plus the hour or so it takes you to go thru the whole package. One or two docs should just take a few minutes with the signer, so the fee should cover mostly your driving time and gas.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/14/05 10:20pm
Msg #52331

If I am going out with only a couple of docs, then I charge my usual travel fee plus the $10 per notarization.

Reply by Jon on 7/14/05 10:41am
Msg #52006

While the situations you describe above do happen, they are by no means "typical". Most of the signings are call the notary, have docs sent, and pray that the SA actually knows what they are doing. The above situation is a cost of doing business as a SS. Also, as far as not getting paid for multiple trips, that says more about the negotiating process than anything else. If you don't negotiate for multiple trips, trip fees, cancellations ect, that is your fault. There will always be certain situations in which you lose, as is the case with any business, including the SA.

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/14/05 10:51am
Msg #52019

I'm not trying to be a hard a*s, I'm really not. I used to work for a temporary agency and I'm aware of how difficult - not only the scheduling is, but the difficulty in finding a qualified candidate.

My issue is with the TCs who repeatedly fail to get the docs out and on-time. The signing shouldn't even be scheduled with the SA (if they are working directly with one) or the SS *UNTIL* the documents are in the FINAL stage of preparation. I deal with legal/court documents all the time and there is no way the court will let me get by with "the docs are coming ... the docs are coming ... the docs are coming."

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/14/05 12:12pm
Msg #52075

Don't only blame the Title Company

Here's a timely article from TampaBay Online (the online version of the Tampa Tribune):

Jul 12, 2005
Real Estate Closings Run Hot And Late
By SHANNON BEHNKEN
[e-mail address]

TAMPA - The news came on closing day. Brenda and Angel Robles planned two weeks ago to sell their Brandon home and turn right around and buy a bigger one in Valrico, but the devil is in the details, and the paperwork wasn't ready.

"It was a little crazy,'' Brenda Robles said. "We wanted to get it all done on the same day but it didn't work out. Closings should take place as planned, but you don't know what to expect in this market.''

Florida's red-hot housing market is creating problems in the settlement business, where processors can't keep up with paperwork. Documents that used to arrive from the lender's office the day before a closing often show up an hour before the appointment - or not at all, frustrating buyers and sellers and forcing many to make other arrangements for moving furniture, paying more cash up front or storing furnishings.

The real estate market is so busy that all companies involved in housing transactions are swamped with work: the surveyors, the appraisers, the insurance companies, real estate agents, lenders and title companies. If any of them gets behind, the whole deal lags.

Insurance companies are adding to consumers' burning frustration. As seasonal storms approach many stop writing new homeowners' policies, sometimes hours before many Bay area customers planned to close on real estate transactions.

For escrow officer Cathi Grow, closing-table delays can be equally uncomfortable. Though she's last in the paperwork chain, she often gets blamed for all the other procedural hiccups. The situation adds stress to an overwhelmed system that for months has left Bay area buyers and sellers drumming their fingers at closing.

Although no one tracks delayed or postponed real estate closings, title companies say it's much more common than a year ago.

On any given day, for example, half of Grow's scheduled closings are pushed back: sometimes hours, sometimes days, sometimes weeks.

"I've never seen it like this,'' said Grow, with Brandon Sunbelt Title Agency.

The backups are inconvenient symptom of a good real estate market, said Ilyce R. Glink, a syndicated real estate columnist and author based in Chicago.

"Everybody is buying homes at the same moment and the system can't handle it,'' Glink said. "The system is groaning under the weight of its own success.''

While some delayed closings can cost buyers and sellers money, the biggest cost usually is measured in time and stress, Glink said. No matter how good the lender, she said, some clients will spend their closing day waiting on paperwork or correcting errors in documents.

"Some people get ready to sign and notice that the address is wrong,'' Glink said.

Although the hot real estate market made the Robles' closings stressful, they say it was worth it because of the money they made. They closed on their town home the next week and made a large payment on their new house.

"What can you do?'' Brenda Robles said. "You have to count on too many other people to do what they need to do to close.''

Add one more to the list. When insurance policy writing is on hold, buyers and sellers can count on one more organization to foul up their plans. Insurers can refuse to write policies when major storms threaten the coast, and with a heavy storm season predicted, it's likely policy writing will remain on- and off-again throughout the year.

Consumers, however, can mitigate a few problems at closing.

The best way to increase your chances of a smooth transaction, Glink said, is to find a mortgage lender known for speedy, accurate work. The cheapest loan rate isn't always best, she said, because some of those lenders skimp on service.

"Stay on top of the lender before the closing,'' Glink said. "Make sure things are getting done quickly and that they don't need more information from you ... It's good to check in once a week after you've been approved.''

Another factor in problem closings - too many clients wanting to close on the same day. The last day of the month typically ranks as the most popular for settlements because buyers can save money on the first interest payment. For example, those buyers usually pay for just one day of interest, then skip a month of interest.

Savvy buyers request a midmonth closing. It saves money on the first interest payment but more important, it gives clients a shot at a less popular, and therefore, less crowded, day.

Lenders who have title companies in their office, such as Grow - who works inside a Coldwell Banker office - have an easier time facilitating closings for clients who use both companies.

Gregg Hamby, vice president of HomeBanc Mortgage Corp. in Tampa, said the Tampa office sold $78 million worth of home loans in May, the highest volume ever for the office. The heavy workload prompted his company to hire temporary workers to help file and answer phones. But since HomeBanc Title Partners is under the same roof, he said, closings have gone fairly smoothly.

"We haven't had any who have had to wait for hours,'' Hamby said.

Reporter Shannon Behnken can be reached at (813) 259-7804.

This story can be found at: http://news.tbo.com/news/MGB4E4BK1BE.html

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/14/05 12:21pm
Msg #52081

Re: Don't only blame the Title Company

Excellent post to wrap up this thread, PAW, in a nutshell. So much for the evil SS and the even more evil TC who's "pocketing" money (hrmph - or some other noise of disgust). We're all doing this dance to accomodate this crazy industry.

"Perfection exists in Heaven...not in Real Estate".

(and yes..I'll remember my own quote next time I don't get paid a week after close Smiley )

Reply by SherryB on 7/14/05 8:03pm
Msg #52261

God...I love you!!! LOL..this is EXACTLY how things work and it is soooooo frustrating. You word for word described what happens AT least onece per day....Thank you for communicating what I was unable to...

Reply by Anonymous on 7/13/05 10:09pm
Msg #51869

I would like to know how did you manage to do signings and take care of your daughter. I have kids and that is my biggest concern how am I going to manage. I was told this was for me because I want to stay home with my kids but listening to you all I have to wonder.

Reply by SherryB on 7/13/05 10:13pm
Msg #51872

It was hard....there was a time frame where I made 10k in 2 months but there was a price I had to pay...not being home...I finally decided that time was too precious and I didnt have a child so someone else could raise her...that is when I started my signing agency...that is just a different bear in itself...At least I am home now and I have gotten to the point where I have multiple people handling the scheduling for me....I handle the accounting and marketing while my kids are napping or at night.....I guess its the lesser of two evils...At least I can pick my daughter up from school and rock my son to sleep....

Reply by Anonymous on 7/13/05 10:18pm
Msg #51876

I have never put my kids in daycare but now their in school but one is at home I thought I could work around school schedule. My husband is also in the military so i cant rely on him too much because of his schedule. Do you think it will be possible for me to do signings?

Reply by SherryB on 7/13/05 10:22pm
Msg #51878

In all honesty, when we look for candidates, we tend to work with SA's that are full time/career agents and can work anytime... A lot of the time, we get SA's that want to work with us but can only work between 2 and 5 and on Saturday's...Now when we are dealing with 300 SA's, there is no way that we can remember everyones schedule so it just makes sense and is easier for us to deal with SA's that do this full time/all the time...I am not saying that you wont get work but if your hours are restricted, it may be more difficult.

Reply by Anonymous on 7/13/05 10:27pm
Msg #51880

Thanks for being honest. This gives me something to think about. I guess I'll just have to work harder.

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/14/05 8:01am
Msg #51938

Sherry,
I've agreed with everything you've posted up to this point. Many people do this on a part-time or less than a full time/all the time basis and make it work, and are quite successful.

Reply by CrystalT_FL on 7/14/05 8:13am
Msg #51944

Its not that the SS thinks less of a pert-timer, its just more difficult to schedule. You might have something lined up for an evening closing, with a particular notary, and it gets pushed back to the next morning - now you have to find a whole new notary cuz your first choice has a day job. It's just that it complicates an already stressful process ;-))

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/14/05 8:26am
Msg #51948

Re: Signing times

I didn't say that the SS thinks less of a part-timer. I'm just saying that there are fewer full-timers doings signings than part- or less.

As for the problem with the evening signing needing pushed back (up ??) to the next morning -- this is not necessarily a problem. Yes, some borrowers do need a specific morning/afternoon or evening signing time -- HOWEVER, more times than not, the signing time can be left open and if left to the SA and the borrowers, the signing can be arranged for a time that suits all of them -- without the need of *finding a whole new notary*

Reply by CrystalT_FL on 7/14/05 8:50am
Msg #51955

Well yes, most people cant afford to do this full time. However, its a matter of availability - many are also self employed doing something else, so even though they are "part time" their schedules are more flexible. Its the ones who are regular employees of someone else that get more complicated. We had some great notaries in that situation, and always tried to get the TC to work with us so we could use them, because we were very loyal to those who did a good job for us. But I know it was hard for me, just covering the state, to remember who was available when. We wanted to retain a personal touch, not just rely strictly on a database.

As to "HOWEVER, more times than not, the signing time can be left open ..." thats what SA's just dont get. That may be your personal experience with your SS's and TC's, but that doesnt mean that it is the average. We worked with some TC's that were very demanding and unreasonable about such things. Also with some that were very nice but a particular LO would be very anal and insist on a closing at a particular time. Maybe trying to cover their own backside for something, whatever, "its got to be out in today's Fedex". Sometimes the borrower tells the LO "you've strung me along all week - either we get this done in the AM or I go somewhere else." There are times when you can step up and say "look, let the notary and the borrower work it out." Then there are times you cant.

There are SO many things that SA's dont realize about the stress of being an SS. I would never want to do it again, but its made me a better SA by understanding more of what my clients (SS, TC) really need. Because really we're all in the middle between the borrower and the lender, and its in ALL our best interests to keep those two parties happy

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/14/05 9:35am
Msg #51970

**Well yes, most people cant afford to do this full time. **

Thanks to the NNA.

**As to "HOWEVER, more times than not, the signing time can be left open ..." thats what SA's just dont get. That may be your personal experience with your SS's and TC's, but that doesnt mean that it is the average. We worked with some TC's that were very demanding and unreasonable about such things. Also with some that were very nice but a particular LO would be very anal and insist on a closing at a particular time. Maybe trying to cover their own backside for something, whatever, "its got to be out in today's Fedex".**

I guess I just have un-average SS's and TC's that allow me to schedule the time with a great deal of the Borrowers. Where the signing times have been pre-scheduled, I generally find that the Borrowers had no say in the appointment time. What's up with that? At least in my area, I can drop off directly at FedEx by 6:00 p.m for next morning pickup -- so, there is flexibility for the signing. A signing at 9:00 a.m. isn't going to get to the TC any faster than a signing done at 4:00 p.m. providing each is dropped off by the 6:00 p.m. cutoff.

**Sometimes the borrower tells the LO "you've strung me along all week - either we get this done in the AM or I go somewhere else." **

And as SA's, these are usually the disgruntled Borrowers -- the ones who use us as target ranges. These are usually the packages that I've found have problems -- either the numbers are wrong, the Borrowers have been lied to, or there are missing docs.

**There are SO many things that SA's dont realize about the stress of being an SS.**

I've never said that SS's are not stressed. I've eliminated and won't sign for SS's that are disorganized, pay poorly, i.e., $$$, pay slowly, etc. The majority of SS's I sign for are great.

Reply by CrystalT_FL on 7/14/05 9:47am
Msg #51976

That's the trick, if everyone along the food chain could work to a higher standard we'd all enjoy this a lot more haha. We paid prompty, paid well, and *tried* to be organized. But I resented having to apologize all the time for things that were out of my control, I felt like it made me look bad to the notaries if they didnt realize *its not me.* I had to acknowledge my inner control freak and realize it would never be happy doing scheduling, so I went back to just being a notary. Feeling much better now!

Reply by SherryB on 7/14/05 8:11pm
Msg #52268

Thank you Crystal...Again you have explained what I was trying to convey...I was not saying that you cannot work as a part time agent...we just prefer to work with someone who makes this their carrer because of the scheduling issues

Reply by John from SLB on 7/14/05 8:56am
Msg #51959

As Sherry says... it is hard to keep track of each part-timer's hours of availability, so we tend to hire those people who have no restrictions. One exception, is the closer who has a day job and is available only after 5PM or on weekends. We do use those if they are experienced.

The only other thing we tend to do is look for either: 1) a notary who has done many, many closings, but is not certified; or 2) a certified signing agent, who maybe has done fewer closings but has gone "the extra mile" with certification.

I also should mention... I personally won't even call a potential closer if their on-line resume on any of the various industry web site has errors, mis-spellings or poor grammer. I only hire those closers who cared enough about the job to enter a professional looking resume and answer all the questions.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/14/05 9:03am
Msg #51961

>>> I also should mention... I personally won't even call a potential closer if their on-line resume on any of the various industry web site has errors, mis-spellings or poor grammer. I only hire those closers who cared enough about the job to enter a professional looking resume and answer all the questions. <<<

Thank you John for saying that. I too am a very firm believer that one's use of the English language, including typographical errors and grammatical mistakes, is a direct reflection on how one performs their job. Having been a hiring manager for many years, I saw this play out all too often. And lately, it just seems that there is way too many that don't take the time to do it right, either by ignorance or just being lazy.

There <> Their <> They're is my pet peeve of the week.

Reply by Lee/AR on 7/14/05 10:01am
Msg #51978

There <> Their <> They're is my pet peeve of the week. Decade!

Reply by Jon on 7/14/05 10:44am
Msg #52010

I agree!!!! Why can't these people just spell check there writing????? Smiley

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/14/05 12:06pm
Msg #52068

Because spell checkers won't check their grammar in "there" writing, when they're using the wrong there to begin with. Smiley

Reply by SamIam_CA on 7/14/05 11:14am
Msg #52042

Amen! n/m

Reply by SherryB on 7/14/05 8:17pm
Msg #52272

I really like those emails that we get "SINGING AGENT FOR HIRE"...I love it..I am almost tempted to call them and ask to be serenaded for awhile to de-stress me...LOL

Reply by Lee/AR on 7/13/05 11:30pm
Msg #51898

Thanks for posting

It's always good to gain some perspective of 'the rest of the story'. Keep posting. I appreciate the information.

Reply by IrisWA on 7/13/05 11:55pm
Msg #51907

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and some perspective on the "other side of the coin." It certainly helps understand some of the actions of other SSs.

Although I do this only part-time, I am available full-time, so when you expand into Washington state, I would look forward to hearing from you, Sherry.

(And good luck with that TC! I'm sure it's a bear!)

Reply by Nd_WA on 7/14/05 8:14am
Msg #51945

Sherry, have you ever been pressure by a client to use a specific SA with higher fee rather than other? I get atleast one call after EOM from SS who turned wouldn't met my fee at EOM then later gradually start giving me repeat business. It made me wonder if escrow is fed up with quality of work they sent, they can not afford to loose that account, or escrow saw my work and like mine over others.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/14/05 10:17am
Msg #51985

ND-WA asks: Sherry, have you ever been pressure by a client to use a specific SA with higher fee rather than other? I get atleast one call after EOM from SS who turned wouldn't met my fee at EOM then later gradually start giving me repeat business. It made me wonder if escrow is fed up with quality of work they sent, they can not afford to loose that account, or escrow saw my work and like mine over others."

Same question here.

Reply by SherryB on 7/14/05 8:21pm
Msg #52276

Not exactly sure what you are asking...All of our notaries receive the same fee but we do have requests to use specific notaries for certain territories or builders...I have also had specific requests to NOT use those same notaries for other TC's...Go figure...What is good for some isnt always good for others...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.