Notary Rotary
Re: Scheduling
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Reggie on 7/25/05 4:27pm
Msg #54538

Just had to cancel a closing because of no edocs. Anyone have to do that recently?

I told the ss this morning when she called to ask me if I could do it that I had to have the docs by 4 pm and then the docs did not come so I had to call and cancel. Does anyone think I did the wrong thing?

Reginald
Kansas

Reply by Paul2_FL on 7/25/05 4:30pm
Msg #54543

Same thing happened to me tonight. Hope it wasn't the same signing! Instead of canceling, I rescheduled with the borrower for tomorrow. I gave him the opportunity to do it later tonight (assuming I get the docs soon) but he suggested tomorrow.

Reply by Reggie on 7/25/05 6:43pm
Msg #54569

I offered to reschedule with the borrower and do it latter or Wed. but the ss told me she would cancel with the co. and for me not to call the borrower and the lo would reschedule with another nsa so I just let it go.

Now I just received another fax for another Notary and they sent it to me for the same fee.

Now I really do not know what to do should I send this fax to the correct notary? or what?

Reginald
Kansas

Reply by Charm_AL on 7/25/05 4:33pm
Msg #54544

NOPE! I just posted on this subject a minute ago. We have to run a business and I have had to call the SS and tell them that because I don't have the docs by my required cut-off time and another apt that I'm prepared for is scheduled next, they can send them and I'll reschedule to do the close as my last apt. So far no problem. I really don't think the SS can hold it against us for running a professional business and not screwing over the next apt waiting around for their lender to get it together...happens way too much and if more of us set time limits, maybe they'd get a clue.

Reply by Ted_MI on 7/25/05 4:38pm
Msg #54546

Re: My perspective

Reggie,

Did you do the wrong thing? I think it depends; it depends upon your rationale for establishing 4 p.m. as a drop dead time. If you did this because you had several other signings and you absolutely had to have the docs by that time, then no probably you didn't do the wrong thing. Although I should add from reading this board over the course of various months, I am aware that several experienced signers will stipulate that if they don't receive the docs by a certain time that the signing will be pushed back until after the others if indeed it can be accomodated. That might be a better idea than merely cancelling.

Speaking from personal experience, on several occassions, I have received e-docs after the scheduled signing time. But I didn't have other appointments, so it wasn't that much of a problem.I was obviously just very late.

Reply by CaliNotary on 7/25/05 7:59pm
Msg #54589

Re: My perspective

"Did you do the wrong thing? I think it depends; it depends upon your rationale for establishing 4 p.m. as a drop dead time."

I disagree. Whether the drop dead time was because he had other appointments or because he simply didn't feel like waiting around all night for docs is irrelevant. If they can't get edocs to us on time to make the signing appointment at the scheduled time, we have every right to cancel the signing for whatever reason we want.

If you want to reschedule the appointment for later in the evening, great, but I don't think we're under any obligation to do so. How many stories have we seen on here of edocs coming several hours after the appointment time? When I accept a signing it's for a certain block of time out of my day, not a block of my time plus whatever additional time they need because they can't do their jobs correctly.

Reply by Melody on 7/25/05 8:51pm
Msg #54594

You did right.

I agree with CaliNotary. (I almost always do - he has a solid head for business.)

If you were getting paid $150, then you might have been willing to give a later cut off time. It is always your choice.

But since this signing is for an SS why should you waste your evening waiting around for eDocs that might never arrive and getting paid only $50-$75?

By the way, the real blame for late eDocs belongs to the LOs.

They sit around on their bums all month and then suddenly get to work during the last few days to sign. Then they expect the TCs and us to drop everything and prioritize their loans above any other loans or other aspects of life.

I am currently waiting for late eDocs. At least I'm getting $150 for the job and the borrowers are only a few minutes away.

*IF* the docs ever appear!

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 7/25/05 11:04pm
Msg #54628

I'm chiming in on this one

I put in my profile edocs must be received 2 hours before the appointed time. My rationale is that I don't have until the end of time to wait on this companies. Your time is valuable, even if you decided that you wanted to take that block of time to cut your toenails, it is still your time and as the old adage goes "time is money"

The ss did not have a clue when the docs would be ready, the title company normally is clueless too, but yet in still they love to set appointments and say "rush". I had one company, a title company play with my time and that was enough. The next time they called, I charged premium, good thing too, because the docs were late and imcomplete once again. I was critiqued by some nutcase for setting business standards and that just goes to show, that some of us are really not in business but are just making money to pay the bills.

Reply by Reggie on 7/26/05 1:39am
Msg #54664

Re: I'm chiming in on this one

I set the time in order to be able to copy the docs review them and then make it to the signing in time to make the appointment on time.

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

Reginald
Kansas

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.