Redundant notary wording
Notary Discussion History

Redundant notary wording
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Carol/MI on 7/29/05 11:01am
Msg #55623

Redundant notary wording

Hi Everyone,

Just getting started in the signing business and wonder about the wording typed under the notary signature line. Even if I fill in what is asked for (state, county, commission), most do not have the "Acting in the County of ______" that is required in Michigan. Would it be OK to just put one diagonal line through the typed info and just use my stamp underneath it? Or would you fill in their blanks and still use the stamp? Michigan does not require the use of a stamp (can be typed or printed instead), but one SS had me add my stamp to one document that had all the correct info typed there. I also like to use my embosser seal, but that looks a little ridiculous to have my info on there three times.

My previous notary experience was in a law office where I worked, and we typed the correct information under the notary line. Since we don't control how these loan documents are prepared, how do you handle this?

Thanks.

Carol

Reply by NotT on 7/29/05 11:53am
Msg #55660

I fill in the blanks, & still use the stamp. You can still use your embosser (years ago it was mandatory to use our embossers if documents were going out of State -- now it doesn't seem to matter).

Reply by caroleMI on 7/29/05 12:12pm
Msg #55678

Re: I do both. Better to many then no enough.N/M

Reply by Stephen_VA on 7/29/05 12:19pm
Msg #55685

Here is Virginia, we only have 'recommended' wording for notarial certificates. So long as the extra wording isn't incorrect or disallowed by notary regulations then I just fill it out. I'd rather do that than muck up the documents with slashes and initials.

Reply by Julie-Mi on 7/30/05 9:16pm
Msg #56007

If you look at the Public Act, our law says not to use an embosser. You may want to check it out at the sos website.

Reply by NotT on 8/1/05 2:20pm
Msg #56193

We CAN use an embosser!
It just states that: "Michigan Law prohibits use of an embosser notary seal by ITSELF because it is not photocopiable." (MCL 55.287, Sec 27(3)). We still have to type, print, or stamp Our required information on every notarial certificate.

Reply by Julie-MI on 8/1/05 10:05pm
Msg #56297

Yes, I have been in the business since 1983 and I should have clarified the response about using the embosser alone without printing the info. Since Carole mentioned she worked for a law office, I figured she would know what I meant.

The problem with the embosser and our not too bright legislators is that you would either have to have the seal made with interchangeable plates as you notarize from county to county.

I had international adoption papers with do require an embosser. I live in Macomb, but notarized in Oakland. It's rather stupid and confusing to have the notary write the county name in the blank county space on the embosser. Very tacky in my opinion. I have no clue what they were thinking with this redundancy. The venue is already there the "acting in" is simply silly.

I never ever ever ever use an embosser for closing documents. No need for it.

Reply by NotT on 8/2/05 7:00am
Msg #56345

There are many eyes that read these boards -- many of them are using this type of forum as their learning tools (not a great choice - JMHO). I want to make sure that these people get the correct information, and not some other States rules and regs. :-)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.