Notary Rotary
Seeking advice ...
Notary Discussion History

Seeking advice ...
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by bc in ca on 7/29/05 3:19pm
Msg #55749

Seeking advice ...

I need some advice about a signing I did last night. I was contacted directly by the loan officer for this signing and was told his daughter owns the signing agency that would be handling the signing and my payment. The loan officer was very clear that I was not to answer any questions and to have the borrowers contact him directly if there were any questions or problems. I quoted low since the signing was only 2miles away with the condition that the docs would be overnighted to me rather than doing edocs. I was to set up to appointment with the borrowers and set it up for 4pm. That signing ended up taking me 3 1/2 hours to complete with three trips having to be made. I had to return two times to my home to print up documents that needed to be corrected in the loan docs before it could be completed. I did everything that was asked of me from the loan officer, going above and beyond. Yet he still had the nerve to get rude with me and the borrowers. I normally would not have done all that I did but when I saw how badly the borrowers needed the loan to close yesterday; I stuck through it till the end. Now my husband thinks I should demand to get paid more than what was agreed to because of all that I did to make sure that loan closed. I've learned my lesson not to do that again, even though in my heart I feel I did a good deed. Should I contact the loan officer and try to get more for this signing?

Reply by Brian/CA on 7/29/05 3:58pm
Msg #55753

I agree with your husband. The SS or loan officer knew you had to make additional trips.
add the extra trips to you invoice. Fair is Fair.

Reply by bc in ca on 7/29/05 4:12pm
Msg #55755

Thank you! I have emailed the SS asking if my fee for this signing can be increased do to the length of time and number trips made to be able to complete this signing. I'm waiting for a response.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 7/29/05 4:15pm
Msg #55756

Did you have a confirmation from the ss? Yes I would bill them for the extra trips and the printing and hope to get it.

Reply by bc in ca on 7/29/05 4:20pm
Msg #55758

Yes, I got a comfirmation from the SS just a few hours before the signing after I emailed them
several times requesting it. How should I bill them for the extra trips and printing?

Reply by notaryrunner on 7/29/05 4:54pm
Msg #55771

In terms of signing services, there is no place in this kind of business for a "big heart." It's a good way to go out of business fast. As the character in the movie once said, "it's not show friends, it's show business." Its' nice when you can help a borrower every so often, but, assuming responsibilities for their decisions is a bad precedent. And, while SS reps can be "ever so nice" at the beginning, their tune always changes when it comes down to time and money.

Personally, I do not make extensive changes to any loan docs, and, never any changes that require me to use my computer. Too many liability issues. Hope you got the borrowers to initial each new change. Depending on the extensiveness of the changes, I also would not have made them without at least an email from the SS or the lender instructing me to make those changes, something more official than a phone call anyway. If the lender made the errors/ommissions that you had to correct, then I would have charged a new appointment fee for each trip, even if it was next door.

I am firm on my rates and fees no matter how "easy" or "simple" a SS, or, a lender tries to describe a package. They are trying to get you, the Notary, for as cheap as possible and will say whatever it takes. No matter how easy you know a job to be, never let the SS service know it. Look at it from this context: I like to envision the Pillsbury commercial where the mother cooks up a batch of cookies in minutes, but, before taking them out to the family she splashes herself with a little water and some flour to make it look like she's been at it for hours. You may lose some jobs at first, or, for a while, but eventually you will start getting jobs at your rates. You just have to be consistant.

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 7/29/05 5:12pm
Msg #55773

Re: Since we are giving opinions here

I didn't see anything that said that BC corrected the docs herself. Maybe I was reading into it but it seemed to me the corrected docs were sent to her to be 'printed' not corrected on her home computer. If she did it herself I think she's got a big problem but I highly doubt that's what happened.

As to the fees. Go ahead and bill the LO for 3-4 trips if you want to but I doubt you will get it. As much as I hate trip fees I think you should turn this signing around. You should have done an invoice by now, add the extra 'reasonable' trip fees to the invoice and then stick something on there that says --- 2nd print fee, waived 3rd print fee, waived. (I never charge for small printings needed- the whole package is another story). Then call the LO (possibly with the tracking number) and let him know that you were very glad to help him get this loan closed, that the borrowers were very happy because they REALLY NEEDED IT and that you adjusted the invoice for the extra trips but waived the extra printing. Ask him if he will send it to AP or if you should fax it there yourself... ask him for the contact name of the person in AP. Stay sweet. Tell him that you were happy to help him out and should he ever need another signing done in your area you will be glad to help him. Don't loiter on the phone... be sweet... hang up... fax the invoice and let it go!

Of course- this is JMHO.

Reply by Joan-OH on 7/29/05 8:31pm
Msg #55801

My Opinion Only, but....

This is why you shouldn't reduce your fees. If my minimum all inclusive fee for edocs is $125, then why would I reduce that just because it is only a few miles from home? That makes up for the times I have to drive 35 miles each way for the same fee. The title company has a "standard" closing fee - let's say $400. No one asks them how far they have to drive for it. The signing company has a standard fee too, so why shouldn't you?

I think this might sting more because you "quoted low" and now you have to ask for more money because of the unexpected difficulties on this loan. Wouldn't you feel better about it if you just charged your standard fee like everyone else in the process?

Think about it.

Joan-OH

Reply by Edward Meaney on 7/30/05 12:17pm
Msg #55895

You've made your deal and lost money.Call the loan officer explain the unforseen outcome and listen to his/her point of view.You are right you did a good deed.Perhaps the loan officer will provide you with an extremely easy transaction to make up for your current loss.

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 7/30/05 2:43pm
Msg #55941

Are you kidding???

**You've made your deal and lost money.**

To me... what you are suggesting is comparable to this scenario.

You take your car in to get an estimate on replacing the fuel pump. You get the estimate in writing. Then you remember you need an oil change and new air filter as well and you call and ask the mechanic to change the oil and the air filter. Then when you pick up the car you try to pay for the fuel pump replacement and waive the estimate in his face. Yeah right!

The terms of the agreement changed when she made multiple trips and multiple printing per the LO's request. If she wants to waive it and use it to boost biz or get referrals... fine! Maybe that's good business. But lets not confuse the issue by jumping the fence onto the 'you agreed to do it for X amount so you are stuck.' That's bad business! The terms changed midstream... as professionals we act accordingly.

Personally, I would not charge the full fee again... I don't think the conditions warranted it... but nor do I go for the 'bait and switch' and just eat it as if the confirmation for the original signing is the clincher. The terms changed!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.