Notary Rotary
Sign-up process shortcut question
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Paul2_FL on 7/24/05 12:05pm
Msg #54251

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can shortcut the sign-up process for my wife. She recently got her Notary commission and we work as a team together on signings. I'm signed up with ~ 180 companies (more to come) and would like to have her signed up with them as well but don't want her to have to go through all the sign-up process. As all of you know, it's time consuming and tedious. We have a registered business name so I was wondering if that would suffice with the SS/TC's. I would appreciate any feedback from some SS/TC's out there.

Reply by Dmartz_IN on 7/24/05 12:15pm
Msg #54252

What we have come to know with some of the companies we do business with is you have to send in an application on each person as they only Commission an Individual as a Notary not your company. We do have them make out our checks in the name of our company.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/24/05 1:19pm
Msg #54263

Wow, Paul...your post made me pause to think. I think like an entrepreneur more than an NSA... If there were a way to process 200 signing ups, it would be worth $1000 based on five sign ups per hour and the value of an hour worth of time being $25.00.

Not an answer for you, but it should give new people an idea of how much value this board is to them.

Out of all those 200 sign ups, by watching this board they value pack their time...and how much this board will help them IF they read it. If you don't get what I am saying, you probably don't think like an entrepreneur.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/24/05 1:20pm
Msg #54264

Want to clarify this *If you don't get what I am saying, you probably don't think like an entrepreneur.*

That was not directed at you, Paul. Just a comment.

Reply by Paul2_FL on 7/24/05 3:20pm
Msg #54279

Brenda - I didn't take it personally. I know you better that that!

I did get your meaning and yes, at times, I too thing like an entrepreneur. Unfortunately, this is not one of those times!

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/24/05 2:35pm
Msg #54270

Wow Brenda...very well thought out...and my first thought was well, heck if they're calling you at home and your wife answers...what's the problem (LOL).

Maybe just revise yourself to be a team?

Reply by kynotary on 7/24/05 3:17pm
Msg #54278

TitleGalCa, what do you mean by revise yourself as a team? Am asking because you work for a title company and I am considering getting my wife signed up too! Thanks a bunch for all the input.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/24/05 3:32pm
Msg #54285

KyNotary, just meant that a team approach might overcome a hurdle for a potential problem: perhaps SS's wouldn't like it it they thought they were hiring Joe Jones and got Mary Jones instead as notary on their docs...if they knew at the time they hired you that you and your wife were a team...there would be no unhappy SS's as long as she did the same quality work.

I thought this through when my son first came home after getting out of the service and we were thinking of ways to help him earn $ before he could finish his paramedic. I would pay for his training as notary, teach him how to do signings, and work off of the advertising I had in place. (It would build my business while I was at my day job). My only fear is that SS's would be annoyed they called ME and got my son instead - would that raise a flag to them? I'd be confident of his skill but wasn't sure how the SS would see it. The only way I could justify it was to become a team and revise my advertising.

Just sharing my own marketing ideas in a similar circumstance. It hasn't panned out as son is blazing his way through his training at light speed....(and he hates paper).

Reply by kynotary on 7/24/05 4:30pm
Msg #54295

Thank you TitleGalCa, that was what I was thinking too, just let them know that we are working as a team and that I am busy, but she is free to do a signing and take it from there. It actually should work, especially with the companies that I have already worked for and that are happy with my work. I would have my wife take the same courses and then show her the additional things that I have already learned while in the field and she should be set to go. Thanks a bunch for your help on this, it has been most helpful!!!

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/24/05 3:28pm
Msg #54282

Re: Sign-up process shortcut question-good answer...

**Maybe just revise yourself to be a team?**

Yes, I think that's what I'd do. Brainstorming these things out can be helpful.

Two ways to look at this from a marketing perspective. For the time being, Paul can promote his wife by promoting himself. However, the sooner he can get her signing up, the sooner she promotes him.

One thing came to mind as I wrote this...you have experience....she does not. The team idea is the one you might want to consider. Revise your business model as a "team," perhaps?

But, Paul...unfortunately, we still have no answers for you on how to get your wife's info put in faster!

Reply by Paul2_FL on 7/24/05 4:08pm
Msg #54293

Re: Sign-up process shortcut question-good answer...

That's OK Brenda - it's good to hear input from others. I thought about re-establishing ourselves as a team since that is what we are doing anyway but that would mean contacting each and every SS/TC that I'm doing business with plus those I've signed up with and awaiting business from.

Contacting those I'm signed up with is the lesser problem so I'm going to go ahead and start doing that. It's the others that bother me. Maybe I should just wait until I hear from them and then let them know we are a team. All it would mean is having my wife fill out the ICA and W9 and submitting them to the SS/TC at that time.

With regards to those SS/TC's I've yet to sign up with, I'm going to try to do so under my Business Name. Don't know if this will work but I'll give it a try.

Reply by Stephanie_CA on 7/24/05 6:15pm
Msg #54321

Re: Sign-up process shortcut question...Paul, I would have

her sign up with the companies that you receive most of your assignments from, then gradually over a period of time signing up with as many as possible, starting with the companies that give you alot of business and the companies you have a good working relationship with.
Smiley

Reply by Charles_CA on 7/24/05 6:28pm
Msg #54322

Re: Sign-up shortcut question: I'm curious

I've been told that engineers have strange ways of looking a things but I have a question to all of the "teams" out there. Since you have a given pool of loans at any one time do you believe that you are increasing your business by a factor or are you just dividing the existing business and why do you think it might be? I have no answer, just this odd idle question.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/24/05 8:55pm
Msg #54390

My team would be me and my son - KYnotary would be him and his wife. Would I team with someone not affiliated by blood? No way - unless we had a well-thought out partnership agreement/LLC and it served me in the long run!

Smiley BTW, Charles, enjoyed your post about non-payment issues and NSA's banding together. Thank goodness I'm not the lone wolf here. I STILL don't get it when it comes to the general acceptance by NSA's of this late payment deal force fed by SS. Grateful to posters like It'sMe that spell out how to get paid. The situation irritates me as I'm now owed over $600 for signings done in late May and early June. I shouldn't have to work this hard to get payment for work I did to facilitate the closings (and they did close).

Reply by Dave_CA on 7/24/05 8:56pm
Msg #54391

Roboform

I've found this to be a very helpful program. Perhaps the faster typists won't see an improvement but it has certainly speed-ed registering for me.

www.roboform.com/

Reply by Paul2_FL on 7/24/05 10:21pm
Msg #54406

This is a good questions for the experienced teams but, as I stated earlier, my wife and I are just getting into this. For some time in the future, we will be doing the business together so I don't see any increase in the business. Later, when she is ready to go out on her own I expect the business to increase some but, by what factor, I can't even hazard a guess.

Reply by Paul_FL on 7/24/05 10:26pm
Msg #54407

"This is a good questions" - I meant question! Time to go to bed!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.