Notary Rotary
Sometimes it pays to be late!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Sylvia_FL on 7/20/05 2:45pm
Msg #53394

Had a signing scheduled for 10 am this morning. Called borrowers to let them know I would be a little late as I had to wait for FEDEX to deliver docs. No problem.
I get there a little after 10.
Had I got there at 10am, I would have been there as they wheeled the body out!!! Borrowers mother had just passed away, and funeral home picked up her body just before I got there!

Apparently she had cancer, they knew she was dying, which is why the borrowers were down here from NJ, but they didn't expect her to die this morning.

Borrowers did signing as though everything was normal!

Reply by calipat/ca on 7/20/05 2:54pm
Msg #53402

Wow! Thank God you missed that. I would have been crying had I been there. I am not too strong in situations like these....even if I don't know the person.

Reply by Lisa/WI on 7/20/05 4:51pm
Msg #53433

You know what you call that. GOOD karma!! I always say everything (or just about) happens for a reason, and usually for a good reason. That would of been a very uncomfortable situation had it happened while you were there.

Reply by Donna_CA on 7/20/05 8:44pm
Msg #53459

I too believe almost everything doesn't just happen by chance. My mother took in a couple who's husband had cancer and he died in her bed. Fortunately my brother took care of the arrangements. I would still be having nightmares.

Reply by Mike/NJ on 7/20/05 10:07pm
Msg #53469

Cold hearted clients, do you mind if we use grandma as a table I think she is stiff now..lol I think I would of pushed off the signing for another time if I was the borrower.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/20/05 10:13pm
Msg #53470

I did offer to come back at a later time, or if they weren't up to signing today I said I could call title company and explain. But they said they were fine.

Reply by JPS_CA on 7/21/05 9:33am
Msg #53561

Last night I had a cancellation because the borrower had to work overtime, and these people didnt cancell not even on the day their mother died? Gosh very cold people!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/21/05 10:29am
Msg #53580

I don't know that it is that they are necessarily "cold".
I know when my father in law passed away, although we didn't expect him to pass away the day he did, it was something we had been expecting for a while, and we had accepted the inevitable. Because of the pain he had been in, it was a "relief" that he was no longer suffering, and I think if we were refinancing that day we could have gone through with it.

Maybe as we get older we just accept death a lot easier.
It also could have been if they didn't sign the docs then that it may have been a problem for them.

Life goes on as they say.

Reply by Cris_AR on 7/21/05 11:31am
Msg #53593

Same here Sylvia.
My Dad passed away at home recently, we expected it as he had been ill quite some time.
In our State when there is a death at home, the police are notified first and come over to make a report and dispose of narcotics. As soon as the officer walked in I gave him all narcotics and I must have acted pretty normal, I was not crying. He asked if we needed a chaplain or anything and I said no and directed him to the kitchen because I could tell the entire scenerio bothered him. Later I thought about it and realized he must have thought I was either very cold or crazy, I think it takes a while for the shock to wear off.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/21/05 12:45pm
Msg #53609

Same here - police are notified.
What was terrible in my father in law's case was he was under hospice care and there was a DNR on him.
When he passed away I immediately called Hospice (this was just after midnight). The Hospice nurse said she would be out as soon as she could, but it may be an hour and would I be OK. I assured her I was fine.
Just before she arrived, the police arrived, they asked all kinds of questions - you would think we had murdered my f.i.l. But the nurse arrived and she told them she had no idea why they had come out as it was classified as a hospice death and she had faxed them over the prepared death certificate (or whatever it was she had to send). Apparently their fax was not working, so they came out. Not only that they said the ambulance would be there soon. They were going to try and resuscitate him! The nurse asked them if they were crazy, my f.i.l had been dead over an hour by this time, and there was a DNR on him.
Police officer said that as they hadn't got the fax they were following normal procedures.
Luckily the nurse was able to prevent them trying to resuscitate him.

But, then they had to go through all the medications and make a note of them and the nurse had to dispose of them.

It was kind of surreal, but we had been expecting it, and we had said "goodbye" to him just the day before and we were all prepared for it.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 7/22/05 6:48pm
Msg #53978

Thats interesting..my Brother just died 2 weeks ago at home. No police were called and to this date no one has asked about his medications which included morphine and other pain killers and thalidomide, which is very controlled and every dose is accounted for and if not used,must be returned to the issuing pharmacy. After 2 days my other brother flushed it all down the toilet! After 4 years of batteling pain, there was enough there that it took an hour to flush it all!

And yes it is surreal. The air moves differently now in our space.

Reply by Sam I am in CA on 7/23/05 1:01am
Msg #54058

I'm so for your loss. It must be a very confusing time for you right now. Wishing you peace...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.