Notary Rotary
Unbelievable how some people live!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Martha_AZ on 7/22/05 10:30am
Msg #53871

Had a signing for a couple where I had to step over trash, toys, animal feces and who knows what else just to make it to the kitchen table. As we sat down at the table I assumed they would clean off a place for the paperwork. But NO, I had to say "I hope you don't mind me clearing off a place for us?" Under the mess was sticky jelly (not a good imprint for a DOT). They didn't budge so I asked if I could get a wet rag to clean it up. I couldn't wait to get through the signing....the smell in the house was horrible. Pretty bad when you leave an appt and the first thing you grab when you get in your vehicle is your hand sanitizer!

Reply by Cindy-PA on 7/22/05 10:56am
Msg #53879

I feel for you - I had the same incident a few months ago. I was sorry I took my purse along in as I thought perhaps some "critters" might have crawled into it. I guess you have to take the good with the bad in this business.

Reply by TN NOtary on 7/22/05 11:03am
Msg #53882

I feel you, I had the same thing happen to me. I was so worried about those critters getting in my bag.

Reply by LMag on 7/22/05 12:02pm
Msg #53892

OMG, that's when I would have asked if I could buy them a cup of coffee at the local Starbucks or Dennys and gone there to sign. I had a signing a couple months ago similar but not as bad (messy but no bad smells or critters). The couple had no tables. None. Not even a table piled high with junk. It made me wonder how they eat and how they pay their bills, but aside from that, it wasn't ready for condemnation. We had to use books for signing surfaces. I had to do my notary imprints using the cover of my journal for a stamping surface. After that, I now carry a clipboard. Haven't had to use it, but better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

I have met clients for signings at coffee shops, fast food places, pizza parlors, and even a Kinkos/FedEx - whatever works.

Reply by MJ FL on 7/22/05 12:57pm
Msg #53907

EVERYONE OPINION-If it is really bad/roaches, feces, etc

Would it be improper to say that you have allergies or something and ask to sign outside or at Starbucks??? Please share you thoughts.

Reply by Martha_AZ on 7/22/05 1:10pm
Msg #53913

Re: EVERYONE OPINION-If it is really bad/roaches, feces, etc

Couldn't go elsewhere hence the 90+ yr old (incontinent) grandmother sitting in the living room needing special attention. Probably could have gone outside but its been 115 degrees here in Phoenix. Well, at least I survived and it over with. Until the next one.......

Reply by LauriecPA on 7/22/05 1:28pm
Msg #53917

I remember one signing I had where the smell was so bad, I was taking short breaths (panting!) trying to get through it. (Thankfully it was short!) There was an aquarium that ( I guess) someone got tired of taking care of. The water had evaporated 3/4 of the way down, it was greenish/brown and probably had dead fish in it. It was sitting proudly on display in the liv. room where we were sitting. Gross!

Reply by mes/IL on 7/22/05 1:39pm
Msg #53920

In the past 3 weeks, I have been to the most incredibly filthy houses, I also don't know how people can live in these conditions.I had to ask one borrower to please open her blinds, as she had no lighting in the room we were doing the signing in.She also had no table of any kind, we sat on a filthy couch filled with laundry,papers,dirty dishes...In these neighboroods, there are no Starbucks,coffee houses, I really feel safer in the borrowers home with the doors locked.For me, it's not just an issue of cleanliness, it's also a safety issue.Wish some of these co's would pay a higher fee based on "where the signing really is", not just the mileage issue.I try and really go out of my way for some of these borrowers in terms of repectfulness and dignity.Some of them seem very intimidated and anxious about me seeing their living conditions. This job can be a quite an eye opener...

Reply by Martha_AZ on 7/22/05 2:02pm
Msg #53925

Safety is a big issue!

I had a request from a co. in Calif. to notarize a business name form. I realized the address they gave was a residential address. I drove by and it was an apartment in a "bad part of town". I called the signer to confirm the appt. but I told him we would need to meet at the Coffee House down the street or I could bring it by his work. I did end up taking it to his work. As a realtor, I've had some pretty scary moments holding open houses. ...I won't do open houses anymore. Things aren't like they used to be.

Reply by DonnanorthernCA on 7/23/05 4:47am
Msg #54077

Re: Safety is a big issue!

Aside from my notary work I manage townhomes and recently I had a tenant move out that had lived there for 9 years and there were certain parts of her house that she had obviously never cleaned. As I was working on the place, I did the cleaning as well, and the worst part was the shower in the master bedroom. It took 3 days ( a few hours each day) and a variety of cleaning supplies and methods, and the next thing I knew I had a major corneal ulcer and severe melt. I almost lost my eye! and it still hasn't been determined whether or not I have to have a transplant. Apparently there was some type of severe bacteria and I know it came from that townhouse so safety should be a concern but also your health. If the house has excessive smells, you could wind up with bacterial infections in your respiratory system, and who knows what else. Working in the other line of business I have seen and smelled quite a bit but when you are doing a signing it is a little difficult to put on a repirator, but please consider the risks you are taking.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.