Notary Rotary
What to charge for sencond trip?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Kathi/AZ on 7/1/05 12:46pm
Msg #49376

I know this has been covered, and I have looked at past posts for info but I think this situation is a little differnt from the others I read about.

I did a closing on the 25th, the Title company calls me yesterday and says the DOT is not in the paperwork I returned. I look at the PDF files they sent me, and the DOT is not in them. If they don't send me the docs I can't get them signed. ( I know some of you think I should have verified all the docs before I left for the signing - but this was #3 of 5 that I did that day).

Anyway, they have emailed me 18 more pages to have initialed and signed, I have an appointment with the borrowers this afternoon (and I will not be backdating!)

How much should I bill the title company? The original order came through a signing service, but this trip request came from the title company.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Reply by SamIam_CA on 7/1/05 1:12pm
Msg #49384

Re: What to charge for second trip?

I can see how the DOT would have been missed when you got the docs - but during the signing it should have definitely stood out that it was missing. Either way, it is still not your fault since they were not in the original package. Just thinking out loud.

So if the DOT was not in the original docs you should definitely be paid for the return trip. How much did the SS pay for the original loan? How far is it from you? Have you worked with this TC before? I'd try to make brownie points - maybe they will skip the SS and call you directly from now on.

I would bill them my standard trip fee as a notary public. Based on mileage - I charge $20 for anything within 20 miles and then a per mile fee on top on that. Then I'd add on $10 per signature which is the max. allowed under CA law.

I'm sure others here might charge as if it is a whole loan signing. Ask yourself How much of a PITA will this be to fix?

Reply by Kathi/AZ on 7/1/05 1:21pm
Msg #49392

Re: What to charge for second trip?

Sam
The original fee was $100 ( 75 plus 25 for edocs). The borrower is probably about 15 minutes away, and there will only be one notarization required.
I have worked with this title company before, but always through the signing service. So far, they don't seem to want to work directly with the notary as far as contracting jobs, but I deal with them direclty once the job has been assigned.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 7/1/05 2:26pm
Msg #49399

Make some friends; don't charge, but ...

... be clear that the DOT wasn't in the package and that you're doing it as a favor FOR THEM.

If you are challenged, offer to email the docs you received.

You will make more by eating the return trip.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.