Notary Rotary
What would you do?
Notary Discussion History

What would you do?
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Paul2_FL on 7/22/05 9:39pm
Msg #54014

What would you do?

Had a signing tonight that went OK but when I started to put the docs together to ship I discovered that the SS nor the T/C had given me any instructions on how to ship (UPS or FedEx) and did not give me an account number! If I had this I could have figured out which shipper to use.
If this was for an SS that I've done business with I would ship the docs regardless and collect the fee for it later. However, this is a new company for me and they are boarderline according to this forum. I have a feeling that if I ship them I won't get paid the shipping costs.
What would you do?

Reply by Jess/NC on 7/22/05 9:45pm
Msg #54015

Call the SS and they should give you instructions - they can contact the Title Company, if that's what needs to be done to get the info...I have never sent a package out using my own money. If I don't have instructions, I call my contact (the one who assigned it to me). Never had a problem with this.

Reply by mes/IL on 7/22/05 9:52pm
Msg #54022

Had the same thing happen recently with a co I had never worked for.Call the SS or TC.They will supply you with the needed info. You should never have to pay to send out docs.Some co's may even decide to take it out of your fee, if you don't make the attempt to call first.Try the SS after hour ph#, if need be. Good luck!

Reply by Mike/NJ on 7/22/05 9:45pm
Msg #54016

Call and email both the SS and TC for a shipping address and act #. Sat drop offs UPS Store till 1pm and Fed Ex- Kinko's till 3pm and the doc will get there by Monday.

Reply by Paul2_FL on 7/22/05 10:02pm
Msg #54023

Re: What would you do?

Reply by Paul2_Fl on 7/22/05 10:07pm
Msg #54024

Sorry - I keep hitting the enter key before I type in my message! Rough day!
I tried the T/C and the SS but can't get anyone to return my calls.

Reply by MJ FL on 7/22/05 10:49pm
Msg #54036

If you did the signing today and it did not specify that it had to be dropped today by "x" time, which if it would have, you would think they would have included the instructions, they probably allow for next day and some notaries do not have access to o/nite on Saturday. They can get the docs back on Tuesday and still be okay. Or, atleast I have had to do this before and it did not cause a problem. This may vary by T/C or M/C.

Reply by Melody on 7/22/05 11:18pm
Msg #54046

Try TC on Sat morn. Hold docs til Mon if don't get answers.

Some TCs are working this Sat morning. Give them a try.

FAX the request to both the TC and SS. At least email. You need something in writing to cya.

I never send out a package on my nickel.

Reply by CaliNotary on 7/23/05 2:30am
Msg #54071

Re: Try TC on Sat morn. Hold docs til Mon if don't get answ

Exactly, just hold them until Monday. It's not your fault if they don't give you shipping instructions. Monday is the next business day, it's no different than if you did the signing on a Thursday and called them Friday morning.

The other option is to just ship them to the Title Company with no shipping account number and just leave the return address blank so they can't get returned to you. Make sure the TC phone number is on the label too. I'd use Fed Ex, they very likely have an account set up with them and Fed Ex will figure out the billing. Then leave a message for the SS telling them what you did and that you did it to ensure the docs would be there Monday morning.

Reply by Paul2_FL on 7/23/05 6:39am
Msg #54081

Re: Try TC on Sat morn. Hold docs til Mon if don't get answ

Thanks everybody! I did send e-mail to both the TC and the SS. Also called and left V-mail. Calinotary - I like your idea about leaving the return address blank but I have run across companies that use only UPS or FedEx so that might present a problem. I think the best thing to do (assuming I don't hear anything today) will be to wait until Monday to ship.

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/23/05 10:55am
Msg #54106

You can always post the name of the company and if anyone has an account number for them they could e-mail it to you.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.