Notary Rotary
Whatever you do, p-please don't throw me in that Briar Patch
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Terry/CA on 7/26/05 1:04pm
Msg #54780

I’ve been reading the Notary Board since April 2005, and have seen at times a bipolar process at work. One moment we have the SELF ANOINTED ones stating how they are here to help the NEWBIE avoid the pitfalls that are in the Notary Business. And then a few threads down.....the same SELF ANOINTED NOTARY is displaying a bipolar moment......and decides to make some off the cuff sarcastic SUPERIOR comment!

When I observe this type of behavior it takes me back to one of my high school Algebra classes. In that typical class you have 50% of the students struggling, another 40% hanging on to their C-, and the remaining 10% of the students who dream in Algebra. The struggling student from the lower 50% of the class manages to brave the waters and actually ask a question .......while the top 10% of the class begin to roll their eyeballs while making condescending sounds from their section of the classroom. The other 40% of challenged students in the Algebra class....... sigh quietly....... (thanking God DAVE asked their question).

At the front of the classroom the teacher looks at her challenged student with disappointment......and then turns to the students from the top 10% of the class....and ask if one of them would like to answer DAVE’S question. After choosing the ANOINTED ONE..........the student begins to rattle off the Algebra formula with such confidence turning his head every now and then to smile at DAVE! When the student finishes the teacher turns to DAVE to ask him if he had anymore questions? DAVE looks down at his desk and shakes his head no............while the other 40% of the class thinks, “Thank God I didn’t ask a question.” Now the rest of the lower 50% of the class gets the message loud and clear..............DON’T ASK A QUESTION OR YOU’RE GOING TO BE MADE TO LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT!

Now here we are as ADULTS........but the same dynamics are playing out on this board. We have the top 10% who are the SELF ANOINTED ONES......the other 40% who are just observing....but rarely ask a question in hopes that the lower 50% will brave the waters and ask the very question they need answered.

MORE ON MY OPINION:

I personally feel that if a question is beneath the ANOINTED ONE to answer on any give day............do us all a favor and DON’T RESPOND! If no one responds to a Notary’s question......so be it! What amazes me is the NEED the ANOINTED ONE feels to respond! IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO SAY THAT IS GOOD...........SAY NOTHING AT ALL. I am sure the Notary asking the question will not miss your answer to his/her question! If they want to hear from you the ANOINTED ONE they can add your name in the Subject Line........and you can respond or NOT!

It is apparent to all of us who the SELF ANOINTED ONES on the Notary Board are. The HUMBLE NOTARY who does not have to TOOT THEIR OWN HORN..............every day..................on every thread............and who are very knowledgeable make this board enjoyable to read. The other SELF ANOINTED NOTARIES who represent 10% of this board........and can’t control their BIPOLAR moments...........should just refrain from answering any of the NEWBIES questions and save us all!

And please...................all of you brown nose babies.............save all of us from having to read read your S.O.S. (same old $$it) as you try to defend or apologize for the SELF ANOINTED ONES on this notary board.

Reply by Fay, CA on 7/26/05 1:22pm
Msg #54786

Re: Very Well Put!

It is most annoying to read the "know it all" answers to the most innocently-asked questions.

Reply by CaliNotary on 7/26/05 3:56pm
Msg #54832

Re: Very Well Put!

That's funny, I find it most annoying to read the constant variations of "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

It's amazing that the self annointed (sorry, I didn't go to the sale at CapsMart) group hug board police don't see that they're doing the exact same thing as they're bitching about - trying to control who posts what on the board.

It's a public board, we can pretty much post whatever we want and if you don't like that I may say something not nice instead of not saying anything at all, well you can take your self righteous lips and kiss my butt. Or stop reading the board if you can't handle it like a grownup.

Reply by Kimberly-IN on 7/26/05 4:28pm
Msg #54841

To Calinotary

hush

Reply by CaliNotary on 7/26/05 4:42pm
Msg #54850

Re: To Calinotary

Dream on

Reply by Terry/California on 7/26/05 4:53pm
Msg #54859

Re: To Calinotary

"It's a public board, we can pretty much post whatever we want and if you don't like that I may say something not nice instead of not saying anything at all, well you can take your self righteous lips and kiss my butt. Or stop reading the board if you can't handle it like a grownup."

And one APPEARS! So you can't handle someone's opinion other than your own? As far as my lips being righteous and would want to even kiss your butt..........I will save that for you to do. Now here are my directions to accomplish that very task:

1) Bend down and Grab your thick ankles....
2) Hold on real tight.......
3) Now stretch real hard...........pucker your ruby red lips....
4) Move in avoiding the Briar Patch.........................CONTACT!
4) Now kiss your broad A$$ goodbye................................................................

Reply by MarleneM/USNA on 7/26/05 2:26pm
Msg #54810

I got my first failing grade ever in 9th grade Algebra. Still struggle with the perception of myself my Algebra teacher gave me when she (she!) said, "Oh, well, girls don't usually do well in math subjects anyway." Still have to ask my co-workers for help with "If x is $32.50, then what percentage of $53,975 is x?" because I'm so unsure of myself. When they tease me for not knowing basic math, I shrug it off. After all, I'm better in other things (like spelling and grammar and telling good jokes) than they are.

As an old boss would say, "It all comes out in the wash." And it all does.

Reply by Kimberly-IN on 7/26/05 2:42pm
Msg #54813

I couldn't have said that one better myself...takes me back to one of my threads......to all you hateful ones, read and learn.

Reply by Cathy-CA on 7/26/05 2:49pm
Msg #54817

Re: Thank you for speaking up. n/m

Reply by Cris_AR on 7/26/05 3:45pm
Msg #54829

Awesome Post NM

Reply by Debbie_MA on 7/26/05 4:09pm
Msg #54836

Re: Awesome Post NM

Terry: I agree with you 100%. Well done!

Reply by Roger/OH on 7/26/05 4:52pm
Msg #54858

Math 101

Sorry Terry, 90 days reading the boards doesn't qualify you as knowing what they're all about or the history of those you deem "self-anointed".

To use your example - In order to take Algebra, you first need to have a decent grasp of basic math. The same analogy can be extended to this and other boards. It is expected that if you have the title of Notary Public after your name in any state, you have learned and have a basic understanding of, say, the difference between an ack and a jurat. Many of us who have been around way longer since April 2005 do grow somewhat impatient with those who exhibit a sense of entitlement when coming here, just because they attended a few hours of one of the endless seminars and came out "certified" before ever putting pen to their first signing; yet they often ask the most basic of questions. No one is going to criticize legitimate questions; we've all seen our share of weird docs, etc. But at least learn your state manual and some of the other very good references available from sources such Victoria Rivera and The Signing Registry.

The title of Notary Public goes back over two thousand years; learn what that means and the large responsibility that goes with being an officer of your state. It's tough to learn Algebra when you haven't already mastered long division or your multiplication tables.

Reply by hcampers/fl on 7/26/05 5:11pm
Msg #54863

Re: Math 101

Terry I would agree that sometimes the people who post can be a little "prickly".
I also believe that you have shown by your response to CaliNotary that your not any different.
JMO.
Beverly

Reply by Terry/CA on 7/26/05 5:24pm
Msg #54867

Dear hcampers/fl:

You are absolutely right..............she was so childish when she stated one could kiss her butt. Her vocabulary was addicting and I found myself following her lead (bad....bad.....notary). It's interesting how none of us like demeaning things stated about us. The whole "WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND" hurts doesn't it?

Reply by Becca/FL on 7/27/05 12:19am
Msg #54976

Terry - FYI

Cali is a he.

Hmm, guess you didn't retain too much of what you have read on this board. Same as Algebra?

Reply by CaliNotary on 7/27/05 12:50am
Msg #54984

"The whole "WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND" hurts doesn't it?"

I'm sorry, was I supposed to be hurt by your post? As I'm no longer 8 years old I somehow managed to read it and not get hurty feelings from it.

Or maybe I was just reeling from the hypocricy of it all. Looks to me like somebody became the self anointed arbiter of what the exceptions to the " IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO SAY THAT IS GOOD...........SAY NOTHING AT ALL" rule are.

So what I'm gathering from your posts is that it IS sometimes acceptable to say things that aren't very nice and we all have our own criteria of what posts do and don't deserve a respectful answer, and that criteria is different for each of us.

I couldn't have said it better myself, toots.

Reply by Terry/CA on 7/28/05 4:11pm
Msg #55400

Reply by Terry/CA on 7/28/05 4:13pm
Msg #55401

I'm sorry, was I supposed to be hurt by your post? As I'm no longer 8 years old I somehow managed to read it and not get hurty feelings from it.

Absolutely not.............your 8 year old post (kiss your butt), deserved an 8 year old response..........and nothing more.

Reply by Terry/California on 7/26/05 5:12pm
Msg #54864

"Many of us who have been around way longer since April 2005 do grow somewhat impatient with those who exhibit a sense of entitlement when coming here, just because they attended a few hours of one of the endless seminars and came out "certified" before ever putting pen to their first signing; yet they often ask the most basic of questions."

My recommendations:

1) Ignore the topics that irritate you................
2) Answer the questions that you determine are beyond the basic ones.........
3) And learn what it means to put the shoe on the other foot.............

Reply by PW California on 7/26/05 7:30pm
Msg #54912

I appreciate your honesty. I thought this board was about helping each other. I plan to keep asking my questions. If my question seems basic, let someone who has only a few months experience help me at least they can remember what it feels like.

Reply by Teasa/NY on 7/26/05 8:59pm
Msg #54936

I failed Algebra 3 times and I don't know what my point is.

Reply by Becca/FL on 7/27/05 12:16am
Msg #54974

You are not alone, on both points.

Math sucks! - Thank you Jimmy Buffett.

Reply by Roger/OH on 7/26/05 9:02pm
Msg #54937

PW/California....

There's a difference between a helping hand, and a handout. Folks like Sylvia, PAW, Brenda, Joan, Cali and many others have and will bend over backwards to address a situation or a technical question. NOT falling into the latter category are queries such as:

What's the difference between and acknowledgement and a jurat?
Questions that are obviously intended to help pass a test
Do I write in the venue where the signer lives or I live?
Please give me a list of the best signing and title companies!
I just got my stamp and certification; no one has called me yet!

Those that are most critical of these types of questions tend to be those of us that do this full time; it's our JOB. While there's nothing at all wrong with doing it part-time, the NNA has unfortunately flooded us with people from their classes, resulting in many new notaries that have no idea of the history or sanctity of the office, and still think they'll be making $125/hour immediately; the boards are full of postings about the post-seminar reality shock afterwards. These new folks only know you have to be a notary to do loan signings, and see thru rose-colored glasses about what they've been told will be open to them. It certainly CAN be a worthwhile and lucrative career, but like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it.

So ask away; just don't embarrass yourself on a professional board by being less than one.
If you act professional, you'll be treated as such. That means doing your homework/research
like everyone else, and EARNING the title of Notary Public before you get involved with someone's loan. Many of us can be emailed privately as well. Ask yourself the question -
would YOU want to be the NSA on YOUR loan??

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/26/05 9:31pm
Msg #54938

Nicely said Roger....on both posts

Although I hate to address this ugly post for all it's childishness, I see both sides....being afraid to post a question that might be construed as basic, and realizing the truth that this is a professional, public forum...so 'enter at your own risk'.

I'd hate to see NotRot reduced to Q and A for the basics that anybody going into this should already know. If it did, I'd quit logging as it would have nothing more to offer me in being a professional NSA.

On the other hand, the excellent info from ***anointed ones*** is priceless and I'll put up with some superiority - which, by the way - comes with the territory in any profession from those that have PAID THEIR DUES.

Also, it's nice to know I might be able to add something from my own unique background - what's the point of knowing stuff if you can't share it?

Especially like your comments on the history and sanctity of the Notary Public role for the last oh...2000 years. A good reminder. Thanks for that.

Reply by Teasa/NY on 7/26/05 10:05pm
Msg #54944

In need of Algebraist

Is the Y in Terry feminine or masculine? Could someone respond to this in an algebraic formula? Need ASAP for am signing. My gosh we take ourselves seriously.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/26/05 10:30pm
Msg #54947

Re: In need of Algebraist - Teasa...

(x+y)² = x²+2xy+y²

That should do it.

Reply by Teasa/NY on 7/27/05 7:33am
Msg #54999

Brenda is Brilliant

Reply by Teasa/NY on 7/27/05 12:07pm
Msg #55075

Brenda is Brilliant and a Beautiful Mind

Reply by Terry/CA on 7/26/05 10:47pm
Msg #54955

Share............now that's the common denominator

"Also, it's nice to know I might be able to add something from my own unique background - what's the point of knowing stuff if you can't share it?"

1) No one stated you couldn't share your knowledge from your own unique background.......
2) "So enter at your own risk"...............now what a professional statement that was..........
3) PAID THEIR DUES.............based on whose criteria........yours?

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/26/05 10:56pm
Msg #54958

Re: Share............now that's the common denominator

***1) No one stated you couldn't share your knowledge from your own unique background.......***

And your point is?

***2) "So enter at your own risk"...............now what a professional statement that was..........***

Generally known as... common knowledge (that's a legal term Terry) and I'll make a stretch here as legal can also be construed as....professional. Go figure.

***3) PAID THEIR DUES.............based on whose criteria........yours?***

Nope, the world at large. It's your problem if you want to live in a vacuum.

Reply by bp/wv on 7/27/05 12:19am
Msg #54977

Re: PW/California....

"There's a difference between a helping hand, and a handout. Folks like Sylvia, PAW, Brenda, Joan, Cali and many others have and will bend over backwards to address a situation or a technical question. NOT falling into the latter category are queries such as:

What's the difference between and acknowledgement and a jurat?
Questions that are obviously intended to help pass a test
Do I write in the venue where the signer lives or I live?
Please give me a list of the best signing and title companies!
I just got my stamp and certification; no one has called me yet!"

Skip over those questions if they bother you sooo much!

Reply by CaliNotary on 7/27/05 12:59am
Msg #54986

Re: PW/California....

"Skip over those questions if they bother you sooo much!"

Why? The answers we give to questions like this are given to (hopefully) create a better, more knowledgeable and more self reliant signing agent. Sometimes the answers people need to hear are not necessarily the answers to the questions they ask. Whether they choose to learn from them or just be offended by them isn't our problem.

Reply by Roger/OH on 7/27/05 10:43pm
Msg #55251

BP...

If you sincerely believe those kinds of questions are appropriate from someone with a title of Notary Public, then there's nothing I can do for you. If your belief is widespread in the Mountaineer State, it may be a factor as to why WV is attorney-only for loan signings.

Reply by MarleneM/USNA on 7/27/05 11:37am
Msg #55062

Hey, y'all hijacked my Algebra analogy! nm

Reply by PA Notary II on 7/27/05 1:08pm
Msg #55095

Re: Hey, y'all hijacked my Algebra analogy! nm

Y'know, I think this board is so much more entertaining than any 'ole TV show, movie or parlor game. I might disconnect the tube and sit in front of my monitor awaiting the next production of "When Notaries Attack"

Reply by Terry/Ca on 7/28/05 3:18pm
Msg #55390

Conclusion

Interesting responses. It is obvious the board is divided with the usual replies. You may be a Professional Notary with years of experience and deserve all of the respect that you earn................but you will loose respect when you decide to come off in a condescending way, rather than giving your recommendations in a TONE that is worthy of your Professional Status.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM (road goes both ways)

1) The TONE on how one responds to a NEWBIE was the major point on placing this topic on the board. Everyone has a choice to give their advise (i.e. telling a new notary they should know the difference between an acknowledgment and a jurat). One can give critical advise without the condescending remarks. I believe a professional should respond like a professional at all times...............respect is earned................and sometimes all the education in the world cannot teach some individuals that very lesson.

2) Since reading this board for the last 4 months (some may feel that is not long enough........oh well......), I have developed an opinion about a couple of notaries on this board. After reading their many generous posts, the following Professional Notaries continue to come out on top:

a) Sylvia/Florida
b) Paul/Florida (PAWS)

Their replies are well thought out...................their tone is never condensending.............even when they give critical advise. Could it be that they choose their words with compassion..........rather than the need to get off with some crude remark? I somehow think that is it.

I will continue to read the Notary Board...................while watching for the first bite.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.