Notary Rotary
accepted forms of ID's
Notary Discussion History

accepted forms of ID's
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by blgnv on 7/26/05 4:06am
Msg #54670

accepted forms of ID's

I have a signing tomorrow morning with an elderly person. I would like to know what are the acceptable forms of ID other than a drivers license?

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/26/05 5:51am
Msg #54675

Re: accepted forms of ID's - If you are in NEVADA...

blgnv - assuming you are in Nevada - here is what your rules say...

http://sos.state.nv.us/notary/notary_faq.htm#client

IDENTIFYING THE CLIENT
How many pieces of ID should I require?
As many as necessary to give you satisfactory evidence that the person whose signature is on the document is that person. One may be sufficient. If you rely on an identifying document, that document must contain a signature and a photograph or physical description.

Should I note which ID was used in my journal?
Yes. The law requires that the notary enter into the journal a description of the evidence used to verify the identification of the signer.

If a credible witness is used, that person must also sign your journal. If you personally know the document signer, write "personally known" in the proper column.

Does a credible witness need to be present or can he or she verify identity by phone or letter?
The credible witness needs to be present.

Is a photo ID required?
The law requires a photo or physical description.

Are there any exceptions?
In 1997 the law was changed regarding identification of a person who is 65 years of age or older. If such a person does not have a picture ID, the person can be identified with a card issued by a governmental agency or senior citizen center. Use this method of identification only if there is absolutely no other way to identify the document signer.

Can I use an expired photo ID if the signature and photo match the person before me?
The statute doesn't address expired IDs. You, the notary, have to make the determination of whether the ID presented is satisfactory or not. You must be satisfied that the person making the acknowledgment/verification is the person whose signature is on the document.

How do I notarize the signature of someone who is from another country if that person's ID has been stolen?
The standard for determining identity is the same. If no written ID is available, a credible witness can be used. Remember, the credible witness must be present and known to you.

If I'm asked to notarize a document that is already signed, can I have the signer sign another piece of paper so I can compare the signatures?
The best procedure is to have the signer sign the document again in your presence, either above or below the original signature. You need not cross out the original signature. You may also have the person sign another piece of paper so that you may compare signatures. (Remember, however, this is not necessary when taking an acknowledgment.)

Can a "mark" be accepted as the individual's signature?
Yes, Nevada law, NRS 52.305 (1991) states:

1. The signature of a party, when required to a written instrument, is equally valid if the party cannot write, if:
1. The person makes his mark;
2. The name of the person making the mark is written near it; and
3. The mark is witnessed by a person who writes his own name as a witness.
2. In order that a signature by mark may be acknowledged or may serve as the signature to any sworn statement, it must be witnessed by two persons who must subscribe their own names as witnesses thereto.

Reply by blgnv on 7/27/05 1:30am
Msg #54992

Thanks for your detailed response.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/27/05 5:28am
Msg #54994

You are welcome...clarifying: this was cut and pasted here from the NV notary rules. When I was a little NSA right here on NotRot, I was chastised to make sure that I knew that one set of notary rules did not fit all states. It smarted a bit, but I learned...I know my Texas notary rules, but not all states'.

People who have a premium membership can sign in and access The Library tab. Then, see link under state government. . . serious linkage for notary rules in that section.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 7/26/05 12:18pm
Msg #54765

If you have to ask this question ...

... then you are not ready to do Notary Signing Agent work! You must know your state's notary law _cold_ before even thinking about doing loan closings. Go back to your state's Notary Manual/Handbook and study, study, study.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.