Notary Rotary
backdating docs
Notary Discussion History

backdating docs
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by nazanin on 7/27/05 10:30pm
Msg #55244

backdating docs

Hi everyone, I am new in this business and am not quite aware of everything. But I do remember one thing from class and that was NOT TO BACK DATE DOCS. I was called out to a signing last min by an agent. She stated I need to be there for a signing in half hour. she stated the signing would be paying 100.00. I agreed. She stated she would send me e-mail confirmation but that I needed to be at signing in half hour.
I showed up at the signing (without checking my e-mail because I was already close by) after waiting for 45 min for the docs to be prepared they stated to me there is a first and second that need to be notarized and that also, the docs need to be back dated to monday's date. I immediatly stated I was not going to do anything illegal, first to put my commission on the line and second to do anything illegal. I stated does your normal notary know this and they stated yes, I asked if I could speak to her again. I called her and she acted like she didn't know and told me to go home and that she will contact me when new docs are drawn up. Well, I proceeded to go home and once I arrived home checked my e-mail. NO CONFIRMATION IN MY E-MAIL................. Was there something illegal going on here???????? What should I do about this situation?

Reply by Kay / NV on 7/27/05 11:57pm
Msg #55276

Just what you did / did not do. You left as there were no documents that you could sign unless they wanted to use todays date. The only "legal" date you are allowed to use.

Good luck on getting paid ..... that may be a tough one. I hope the company that called is at lease going to pay a trip fee. I wouldn't hold my breath though. Smiley

Reply by Kim_Cali on 7/28/05 12:42am
Msg #55285

Never never never backdate docs....I ran into this situation with a signing that the borrowers refused to complete on Monday ~ got part way through the signing and decided to quit because the docs were loaded with errors. Tuesday morning I get a call to return and continue signing with the borrower, only to continue using the previous days date. Dont think so....I would never backdate and you definately did the right thing.

If I have not worked for a company before I usually do not go until I receive a confirmation either by fax or email. Also, be certain to always ask what their policy is for cancellation if the borrowers refuse to complete the signing or are not there when they are suppose to be.

Reply by Linda_in_MI on 7/28/05 5:22am
Msg #55292

Re: backdating docs - dumb dumb question

OK. I know back-dating means the borrower signs using a date prior to the current date. And post-dating is signing using date in the future. BOTH ARE NO-NOs. The date that is used is the current date--today's date. But for some documents I have notarized -- not connected with loans or refinances -- there has been a time lag between when the documents were created and delivered to the individual. In both instances, the individuals signed using current date, not date of document. Was I wrong to notarize in these instances?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/28/05 7:25am
Msg #55302

Re: backdating docs - dumb dumb question

No - you weren't wrong. Some documents are not date sensitive.As long as you changed the dates on the RTC to reflect the correct signing date etc it is fine.

(Backdating is when you notarize using a previous date on your certificate than the one that you are doing the signing on)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.