Notary Rotary
birthday
Notary Discussion History

birthday
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by jan-ca on 7/9/05 2:20pm
Msg #50772

birthday

I know identity theft a big issues these days. When siging up with the ss is it mandatory to give date of birth and soc sec# before you get hired?

Reply by Lori/CA on 7/9/05 2:32pm
Msg #50776

apply for EIN

Get and EIN number and use it instead of your SS. Go to the IRS website and you can apply on the internet. Signing Serviecs, etc, need the SS or the EIN number for tax purposes so they can prove their write offs. Just put privacy issue in the birth date. Never had it questioned.

Reply by jan-ca on 7/9/05 3:48pm
Msg #50783

Re: apply for EIN

Thanks so much

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/9/05 6:59pm
Msg #50799

NEVER enter personal information on an unsecured website

I strongly urge everyone to NEVER, NEVER, NEVER provide any personal information, such as your social security number, on an unsecured website. That information is then public on the internet and easily captured. It is also kept in YOUR computer's cache and can be remotely retrieved by worms and viruses.

As others have suggested, get an EIN. I won't even provide my EIN on an unsecured website. As part of the documentation that they want, they get a W-9 which shows your TIN, either an SSN or EIN.

Reply by Midwest on 7/10/05 11:22pm
Msg #50906

How do we know if it's a secured site? n/m

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/11/05 7:39am
Msg #50914

Re: How do we know if it's a secured site? n/m

First, look at the website address (URL). It should start with https: (note the "S" meaning secure). Also, depending on your browser, there should be a picture of a locked lock on the status bar. And, many sites include the Thwarte, Verisign or other "security" logo with a link to the security site to validate the website in question. Without these, I wouldn't enter any personal information, like credit card numbers, social security numbers, driver's license information, home phone number (unless it is publicly listed), home address, etc. Even if the website is 'secure', I still would not supply my SSN or EIN since a W-9 is provided which gives them the necessary information.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 7/11/05 12:18am
Msg #50910

Re: NEVER enter personal information on an unsecured website

Here is how to acquire an EIN number and Paul is so right on Identity theft and getting a EIN will give you one leg up on protecting yourself.

You can get an EIN by mail, telephone, and fax or on the the Internet. First you must fill out Form SS-4 Application for employer Identification Number. You can get this form at your local Social Security Office, or by calling the IRS at 1-800-829-3676. In addition, the IRS website is www.irs.gov. complete the SS-4 at the prompt for Forms and Publications and you can instantly get your new number.

We, Notaries, fax over our Social Security number to companies and we have no idea who is pulling that sheet of paper with our info. Pretty scary to say the least.

I have had my identity stolen in 2000 and I have just finally with the help of a lawyer got my credit rating back in 2005.

Reply by Midwest on 7/11/05 8:29am
Msg #50918

Thank you so much but..........

What about the 60 companies that already have my SSN? BrendaTX also advised me to get a EIN number. I will do this today. Is a copy of our DL really necessary? Why do so many people ask for it. I've had a SS ask for my Auto policy number!

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/11/05 11:10am
Msg #50942

Re: Thank you so much but..........

Send everyone you have done business with a copy of a NEW W-9 showing your EIN. Attach a note asking them to please update their files to reflect the EIN for tax purposes.

As far as DL and auto insurance goes, I was advised by my previous consultant attorney that as an Independent Contractor, not hired for transportation of people or objects (e.g. taxi or courier service), that the hiring company does not need that information. When pushed on the issue, I respond that I have a current driver's license and meet the state requirement for insurance. If they still want copies, I still refuse simply because this information in the wrong hands leads to identity theft.

I have been told they want this as identification. I simply respond: To view my DL, please point your browser to -> http://tinyurl.com/cwhqy

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.