Notary Rotary
edocs/kinko's
Notary Discussion History

edocs/kinko's
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by CA on 7/21/05 9:00am
Msg #53545

edocs/kinko's

I have been getting calls for edocs. I can't afford to buy a printer but was thinking about using kinko's or copymax to print the doc's for me. Has anyone done this? If so, I have a few questions: How often are the docs not all sent at the same time, meaning they call you print them out and later something else is sent? If kinko's does the printing, are the documents in order and you just request 2 sets? I have read most people charge $25.00 for edocs. Is that enough to cover the costs and then some? Kinko's is about 15 minutes from my house so I am wondering if it would be worth it? Does a shipping label come with the docs or how does sending them back work? The few I have done have either been overnighted to me or the borrower's have them but lately since I can't do edocs I am missing out on business. Thanks for your time.

Reply by JPS_ca on 7/21/05 9:06am
Msg #53546

If you cant print them at home, you better of not doing it, sometimes they dont send you the settlement statement with the loan pack, and what are you going to do? do you have a fax at least?
Go buy an inexpesive printer, like the brother 5140 I got one for [e-mail address] and its pcl6

Reply by Anonymous on 7/21/05 9:23am
Msg #53558

Does the brother 5140 automatically print legal/letter when printing edocs or do you have to manually feed legal paper thru? I just looked it up and I see only 1 tray. How does it work? I am thinking of getting it today.

Reply by Only one tray on 7/21/05 9:28am
Msg #53560

Re: edocs/kinko's

Reply by MistarellaFL on 7/21/05 2:02pm
Msg #53638

I bought the 2nd tray for $125, it's worth it N/M

Reply by AJ_in_CA on 7/21/05 9:12am
Msg #53548

Call your local Kinko's and ask what they charge per page. I think the one near me quoted .45 per page. If i have a 90 page doc, that would be $40.50 for one set. Then you need to make an extra copy for the borrowers. Depending on what they charge for the copying...if you get only $25 extra for e-docs that would not cover your costs.

Also, if you need access to the internet to print the docs, they will charge for that too.

Reply by Roger/OH on 7/21/05 9:12am
Msg #53549

If you're going to be serious about this business, then you need to have the proper equipment, and a printer with PCL 6 capability is important. Kinko's may not have certain viewers needed for various doc formats, they may not be available to do last-minute jobs, and there's also a confidentiality issue of having borrower's personal information available to anyone there. Don't depend on anyone else to do what the companies are expecting you to do for them. Get a printer and do the job right.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/21/05 9:13am
Msg #53550

If I was a borrower I would object to staff at Kinko's or Staples having access to my information from loan docs.
If you can't afford a printer (and there are some reasonable priced ones out there) then don't take edoc signings until you can afford a printer.

Reply by Bobbi in CT on 7/21/05 9:43am
Msg #53562

Would you want your loan application passed around Kinkos?

You are dealing with EXTREMELY confidential and private information. An identity thief's heaven, more than enough to steal everything the borrowers have and open new credit accounts.

Kinko's are any other public service should be a last resort when all else fails and it is an emergency rush. YOU are responsible for the security of these loan documents. Everytime you request a public service to print these documents YOU run the risk of "enabling and conspiring with an identity thief in pursuit of their crime."

What if the borrower's mother-in-law, ex-wife or nosey neighbor is working at Kinkos that day?
What if there is a ring of identity thieves who have placed a mole in one of these companies just waiting for information like this to come through?
How much does a Kinko's employee printing faxes and Edocs make - is it more profitable and an upwardly mobile career choice or is this just a quick stop along the way to earning more money somewhere else?
What is Kinko's security policy on TOTALLY erasing their PC's hard drive after the documents are received (not just "delete," but actually rewriting and reformatting the drive)?

Purchase the equipment and give yourself control over the security of these documents.

Next time you get an Edocs request say to the scheduler, "If you send the documents to Kinko's for delivery on X date at X time, I'll pick them up and do the signing." See what answer you get.

Reply by Dogmonger, Ca on 7/21/05 9:51am
Msg #53564

If you are going to E-docs, you can't afford to not buy a

printer. Check out E-bay and the HP LaserJet 1300. Expandable memory, a second tray can be added and prints at 20 ppm. Pay close attention to Ebix listings. I think there is way too much of a privacy issue to have Kinko's or any other office supply store printing your packages, and if you did, that 25.00 fee would be a financial hit

http://search.ebay.com/HP-LaserJet-1300_Printers_W0QQcatrefZC12QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfromZR10QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsacatZ1245

Reply by MB/CA on 7/21/05 9:55am
Msg #53566

I know where you're coming from CA. I too am on a limited budget. I got a "HP Laserjet 4P" off E-Bay for $40 and she's a good little girl and really shoots those docs out (Legal Size too)! I got a paper cutter for photos at Walmart for $24. I print everything on legal size paper and then very carefully cut the lender's docs down to the size they should be. The borrower's copies I just leave as they are. No one has complained as yet. I'm not that busy yet so I've got time to do this, but when things pick up I'll have to go and get a fancy laser printer. Don't get discouraged!

Reply by adrock on 7/21/05 10:06am
Msg #53575

I had a lst min closing yesterday. e-docs, i was on the road. I found a ups store that had a computer. They did not charge me to go online and i printed 200 pages at .04 a page. I was the only one looking at the docs. I have a great dell system and laser printer at home but we got to do what we got to do.

Reply by Deb_in_CO on 7/21/05 10:22am
Msg #53579

Re: got to do ....

Your scenario is different from the original poster, who wanted Kinko's to handle the printing for them. Still, you run the risk of the system no completely purging the set upon completion of the printing, but it's better than the original option.

Unless the outfit you choose for printing is bonded and handles legal documents regularly, I would not allow anyone to handle those docs except you. If you let someone else handle it for you, you open yourself up to liability and leave the borrowers open to identity theft and fraud. Not exactly what you as a notary public should be doing.

It's said over and over--this is a business. Don't accept things you can't handle, and if the printer is too far from your reach right now, wait until it is within your reach to accept edocs. It's a nominal investment if you get a refurbed, used one, so consider that before looking at the expensive ones. Reinvest in your business always, but don't ever put your clients or borrowers at risk for something you would regret later.

Reply by JanetK/CA on 7/21/05 1:26pm
Msg #53624

And those docs are probably still accessible on that computer... Several of the most saavy and experienced SAs have weighed in on this above as a BAD IDEA because of security/confidentiality issues and I agree. I realize this is probably an unusual experience for you, but I wholeheartedly agree also that if someone wants to do e-docs, they should get a decent laser printer and print them themselves. It will likely pay for itself very quickly. BTW, most companies have no problem if you print everything on legal paper.

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/21/05 1:36pm
Msg #53629

In fact, they would probably prefer all legal paper as opposed to cutting (i.e., paper cutter, scissors, etc.) it to a letter-size page

Reply by MistarellaFL on 7/21/05 2:07pm
Msg #53641

Free Printer to you

I have an HP 4 or 5 gathering dust in my closet. It works, but you will have to download the driver online and get the cords, but i will send it to you for free, if you pay UPS shipping charges. Email me at [e-mail address] if you are interested CA.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.