Notary Rotary
hand out at every turn
Notary Discussion History

hand out at every turn
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by new/ca on 7/11/05 5:19pm
Msg #51042

hand out at every turn

.....a little discouraged. i took both the notary and loan signing class from notaryclasses.com. purchased all the materials from them. while in the loan signing class, the instructor encouraged everyone to call and set up ride-alongs (knowing how other agents feel about ridealongs), so i called today and they want $100 to go with an agent on a signing/s.....since i hear it's slow in july, maybe some of the more seasoned agents should sign up and make some money doing ride-alongs!!..wow

Reply by Dogmonger, Ca on 7/11/05 5:43pm
Msg #51047

I don't think you are going to get a lot of takers

Let's be practical here. I don't mean this to be hurtful but let's look at the facts

1. Few, especially in SoCal, want more competition, especially that person like yourself that someone else sucked all the cash out of and then left them to train with the real meat and potatoes

2. There is always a liability question when you are driving around a stranger in your car. God forbid you should have and accident and your insurance carrier finds you are carting someone around without a chaffuer's license, sp.

3. I know of NO lenders, TC's or SS's that would condone you bringing along a stranger to view someone else's private and confidential financial information and transaction

4. If the shoe were on the other foot, would you provide the service that your are requesting.

5. If you have questions that cannot be found using the search button, ask them, someone will answer them unless you ask, test questions, client lists. ect

Brenda from Texas just posted some mock docs, copy them, sign your friends, spouse, neighbors ect. Best of luck:_)

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/11/05 9:10pm
Msg #51100

Dogmonger is right...

I've been struggling with this ridealong deal myself. I've trained many, many people in my day job for lots of things, but not as signing agents...for that niche, I'm a bit hesitant.

After a lot of 'noodling', my take on this is: if they are at least (bare minimum) 50 miles away, and I wanted to blow my own ego up a bit, OR wanted to share the wealth of knowlege I have, I might be enticed. (or if I wanted to train my own employee...but that's a whole other saga).

If you can get that experience from a SA, go for it, and keep asking THERE'S NOTHING WRONG IN ASKING!!! Just understand what an experienced SA might be giving up when you ask them to share their experience, for free.

Reply by Charles_CA on 7/11/05 5:44pm
Msg #51048

It is discouraging. I took the live NNA course and found it was well worth the trouble to take it live because in the 8 hours of class they have some excellent presenters and go over many of the basic documents. They even go int how to dontrol the borrowers. I am fortunate in that I've been working with these documents as a Realtor and loan agent for many years but I know that I would not under any circumstances take anyone along on a signing with me. I like to concentrate on the job at hand and having someone there would be a distraction for me. I find that there are many variations to the documents as well as the borrowers. Believe me sometimes the borrowers can be a real handfull and you never know what you are going to be faced with before you actually get to the signing. Good luck. Being a notary whold stand you in good stead in other jobs also, don't look at it as signing agent or nothing. The fact that you are capable of getting a comission says a lot about you as a person. Capitalize on it!

Reply by Melody on 7/11/05 9:33pm
Msg #51102

I'm sorry you were misled

I wouldn't train anyone within a 200 mile radius of me.

$100 is my per-signing minimum fee. Why would I accept that in exchange for giving up a per centage of my business to a new competitor.

Shame on the gal that said you could get Ride Along training, even for $100.

Reply by Teresa CA on 7/11/05 9:58pm
Msg #51105

Re: I'm sorry you were misled

I have to tell all of you who replied to this question that I was told the same thing by the instructor. I went through notaryseminars.com (they came to a local college). I believe they are out of the L.A. area. Anyway, I haven't tried to get someone to take me on a ride along, but I did email the only local notary that I could find (at the time) and asked if she would mind answering some questions about how to get started, fees, ect..

She gave me a song and dance about taking care of a sick mother and not having time to answer my questions. I don't know, I guess I am of a different breed because if someone would have asked me, I would not only help but I would be flattered. It is hard to believe that there isn't enough work to go around.

But I was able to get to see a signing first hand recently because my husband and I refinanced on the 23rd of last month. I informed the signing agent when he called that I would be watching him closely so I could learn from him. Actually, that is how I found this site.

My advice (take it or leave it as I don't know much either) is read and reread all of your material. I am even planning to bring it to my first few signings and refer to it if I have to. My plan is to "wing it." And make my business style my own. Although, I really have learned a lot from this site.

Hope this helped a little. Thanks all for all of the great information!

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/11/05 10:34pm
Msg #51111

Dear god, help me from posting furiously to this...

***She gave me a song and dance about taking care of a sick mother and not having time to answer my questions. I don't know, I guess I am of a different breed because if someone would have asked me, I would not only help but I would be flattered. It is hard to believe that there isn't enough work to go around.***

Really. I mean, REALLY. I have a sick mother as well and can't be bothered by someone like you. Mom is more important.

And...(oh this is so flippin special) "I am a different breed because if someone would have asked me, I would not only help, but I would be flattered. It is hard to believe that there isn't enough work to go around".

Really? tell us all about it, those who have been around awhile, that there isn't enough work to go around. You would be flattered? To give away your own market share? Oh do tell. I'll be more than happy to snap up your few SS's and TC's with all my boundless experience.

***My advice (take it or leave it as I don't know much either)*** So, we should all listen to you, as you don't know much either" ?? Excuse me?

Please don't bore us. If you can't offer up anything other than unknowing, self absorbed BS, don't bother posting here.

Reply by HisHughness on 7/11/05 10:56pm
Msg #51115

Re: Dear god, help me from posting furiously to this...

TitleGalCA fumes:

***And...(oh this is so flippin special) "I am a different breed because if someone would have asked me, I would not only help, but I would be flattered. It is hard to believe that there isn't enough work to go around".

Really? tell us all about it, those who have been around awhile, that there isn't enough work to go around. You would be flattered? To give away your own market share? Oh do tell. I'll be more than happy to snap up your few SS's and TC's with all my boundless experience.

Please don't bore us. If you can't offer up anything other than unknowing, self absorbed BS, don't bother posting here.***

At last I can retire gracefully to the wings, secure in the knowledge that my mantle of resident curmudgeon can be settled on a worthy -- and far more shapely -- pair of shoulders. Go get 'em, TG.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/12/05 12:00am
Msg #51130

I really should not PWP (Post While Pissed)...

or PUI (post under the influence) (of being pissed) and not quite ready to take on any mantle... much less such a lofty one.

But, I'm getting it.

Reply by Teresa CA on 7/12/05 9:19am
Msg #51183

Re: Dear god, help me from posting furiously to this...

Afraid of a little competition I guess?

So glad there are so many nice people in the notary business. So glad that I am in a fixed 30 year now and won't have the chance to have to have someone like you in my home. I feel sorry for your clients.

Have a great day, Ms. Know-It-All.

Reply by Roger/OH on 7/11/05 11:19pm
Msg #51119

Teresa...

A loan signing is not a place to "wing" anything!! The last thing a borrower wants to see is you referring to your "materials" at the signing table; you might as well wear a sign that says "I don't know what I'm doing"!

Don't do that to them or yourself. Learn your stuff cold before you go out and tackle a real signing with someone's real loan at stake. How would you have felt if the SA who came to your home fumbled around with a cheat sheet?

Reply by Teresa CA on 7/12/05 9:30am
Msg #51188

Re: Teresa...

What I was referring to was having the material with me in the case that there was something that I was unfamiliar with. And as far as "winging it" goes, when it is your first time that is pretty much what you are doing because you have never done it before.

I didn't mean that I would pretend to know what I was doing. I meant that I would be "winging it" as far as the style of how I approached the signing. I assume that since you are doing it by yourself with no one to hold your hand, you have to come up with your own way of doing things.

Guess my class taught me a different way then everyone else's class. So sorry that everyone took offense to my advice! And as far as a cheat sheet for my loan signing notary goes, well I would have felt that at least he was trying to make sure he was doing everything correct and not taking the chance of my loan papers not being sent in on time because he missed something. But again, that is just me and I was raised to understand that everyone needs to start somewhere. You aren't born knowing everything, although I am getting the feeling that there are many people (not referring to you Roger, OH) who think they do.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 7/11/05 11:54pm
Msg #51128

I'm with TitleGal_CA and Roger/OH

No, there is not enough work to go around. There are too many evenings-and-weekends-only hobbyists who are willing to accept cheap signings because it's free money.

As with TitleGal_CA, time my family is much more inportant than training my competition. I would never take a newbie (especially one about whom I knew nothing) on a ride-along; confidentiality is too important.

Along with Roger/OH (and a lot of other posters) I apalled that people feel that they can "wing it". There is way too much at stake for such a casual attitude. Yes, we were all new once. Studying, asking questions of experienced NSAs, and more studying before accepting the first signing should be the norm, not the exception.

Taking out a reference book or cheat sheet at a signing is, at the very least, unprofessional. (Please bear in mind that I'm not talking about a rescission calendar that is shown to the borrowers at RTC time.) We are expected to KNOW the documents and rules, not know how to read from a manual. That having been said, I cheerfully admit that I still keep a copy of the CT Notary Manual with me in case I have to point out something in it because some smart-aleck says "But the notary at my bank said ...." followed by a line of bologna.

Giving advice to people with as little experience as you have yourself is downright dangerous! Amateurs teach amateurs to be amateurs.

Reply by JanetK/CA on 7/13/05 12:40am
Msg #51497

Re: I'm with TitleGal_CA and Roger/OH

You pretty much said what I was thinking. Sure, there are some people making $100K doing loan signings - people with lots of experience and very good connections! The irony is that the more classes that are being held, the greater the pressure to reduce fees (along with all the other pressures that exist) and the less likely the income claims are to be true - especially for someone just getting started. And again -- *that's* the issue.

However, I also find it a bit scary that people take one class and feel qualified to give advice to others! That seems to me to take a pretty good dose of chutzpah! The casual attitude about what's involved I also find more than a tad worrisome. It can be a problem when you don't know what you don't know... Kudos to those of you newbies (for lack of a better word) who keep your student hat on and come here to learn!

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/12/05 8:55am
Msg #51170

Re: Teresa

*She gave me a song and dance about taking care of a sick mother and not having time to answer my questions. I don't know, I guess I am of a different breed because if someone would have asked me, I would not only help but I would be flattered.*

I, as with the majority of posters, except for apparently you, *would* put our own family first before some unknown newbie competition just starting out insisting that their questions be answered.

*It is hard to believe that there isn't enough work to go around.*

It might be hard to believe, but you are soon to get a real eye opener.

*My advice (take it or leave it as I don't know much either)*

This is probably why more states are going to attorney only states.

*I am even planning to bring it to my first signings and refer to it if I have to. My plan is to "wing it."*

Yep, this would really make me confident to be purchasing my home or refinancing and have the *professional* sitting across from me needing to refer to a cheat sheet and and winging it.

*Hope this helped a little.*

Oh, yeah. It helped your competitors tremendously -- because I think you've only managed to help nail your coffin shut when SSs read your post.

Reply by Julie-MI on 7/11/05 10:21pm
Msg #51108

Your client issuing your check may not be too happy with a tag-a-long. If I was a title company or lender, I probably wouldn't use you again.

How would you like it if you were closing your loan at your kitchen table and a "student" came along to view your social security number and very private information?

People get creeped out at these situations.

Just another possible view.

Reply by DonnanorthernCA on 7/11/05 11:15pm
Msg #51118

Where in CA are you? Email me @ [e-mail address]

Reply by BrendaTx on 7/12/05 12:30am
Msg #51136

It is a crime - where there is not enough work to go around and there are recruitment type events for new NSAs.

It's making me sick just thinking about how I'd feel if I to have spent the money for a commission, the classes, etc.

Reply by ca-ca on 7/12/05 1:40am
Msg #51149

Brenda, I sent you an email asking for the mock docs, but never got a reply. did you get?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.