my home office filing system...need suggestions
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Laura_NH on 7/15/05 12:17pm
Msg #52470

Hi everyone...
i am trying to get my home office filing system set up and organized. I am a packrat by nature and think i am keeping too much paperwork. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to what they keep in their own files for the Signing Services they work for? invoice, assignments, confirmation, name/date/address of borrower/ and anything else? Pay stubs... etc. Is keeping a separate folder for each signing service a good idea? keep a monthly folder? a folder for each signing i do? any suggestions would be most helpful. and thank you! Laura

Reply by SL/CA on 7/15/05 12:24pm
Msg #52471

What I do, is print the confirmation, After signing is complete staple the BOL to it ( for proof of shipment ) then staple the invoice on top of that, and once I get paid I staple the pay stub on top. I have a Paid invoice file and an open invoice file and then file accordingly. Smiley Good luck !

Reply by IrisWA on 7/15/05 12:50pm
Msg #52476

Don't do very many signings at present, but I keep what SL/CA keeps, PLUS I keep a copy of the mapblast/mapquest directions with mileage notations on it.

Reply by SL/CA on 7/15/05 12:55pm
Msg #52479

Opps... Yes the mapquest directions are behind the confirmation, so that I know how many miles I drove.. I also keep a notebook with every signing, who the signing company/TC was and round trip milage.. and also keep all receipts for taxes... I write them in the same notebook just to know my expenses and what I got paid throughout the year..

Reply by HisHughness on 7/15/05 1:06pm
Msg #52484

When I get a confirmation, I assign a number; the number includes the customer, as in "05-074Titlestream". A file is created, identified by the borrower’s name on the tab, and the unique file number on the body of the file folder. I also create an order information record which has information on phone numbers, borrower’s address and phone number, fee, tracking number, etc. That is stapled into the file. I pull a map from the internet and place it and the confirmation in the file. Copies of my report letters and fax cover letters also go in the file. When all the closings from one year have been paid, the closings from that year are pulled and placed in a storage box.

If you wish to see a copy of my order information record, e-mail me and I will send it to you.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 7/15/05 3:34pm
Msg #52512

I have a file for each company that hires me in which I put any contracts, company proceedures and policies in. When I get an assignment I print the confirmation (on the back of this I put all notes taken during signing), and the mapquest (I jot a confirmation checklist on this, date, time, addy for confiming w/borrower) staple them and put in the file. When the signing is complete I staple my shipping receipt copy and any faxes (I haven't had to fax back docs, if needed I would write on the confirmation which docs were faxed) with confirmations to it. That file them goes to the Recievables file by date, I make a note as to when to expect payment per company billing cycle. For dates with multiple signings they go in order signed. Then when the file has been paid I staple the envelope, stub, and make sure to write down the company address if not on envelope. It then goes into a plastic and filed in the Closed file by date and in order of signing.

Reply by Lydia Esther on 7/15/05 3:50pm
Msg #52515

If you can , please send me a copy

[e-mail address]

Thanks !

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.