Notary Rotary
signing services
Notary Discussion History

signing services
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by nazanin on 7/27/05 10:31pm
Msg #55245

signing services

another question for you guys, I have signed up at a lot of signing services and I am getting a few calls, not many. Most or all are only paying 50.00 for signings. How do you get more out of them even though they say that is all they pay?

Reply by Roger/OH on 7/27/05 10:34pm
Msg #55246

There is nothing wrong with getting experience on $50 signings when you are new. Take all of these you can get, and when your experience level rises, so can your rates.

Reply by nazanin on 7/27/05 10:40pm
Msg #55250

Thanks Roger, but when is your experience level high enough that you can ask for more? Or with agencys you just can't (that is a fixed rate)

Reply by Cherilyn in CO on 7/27/05 11:27pm
Msg #55265

Honestly...

I didn't feel comfortable haggling until I had 100 signings under my belt.

Reply by anon on 7/28/05 2:00am
Msg #55288

Don't take $50 signings. I never did when I first started, and I did just fine. I don't take anything lower than $100 now. I have only been doing this for 3-4 months now. Your time is valuable and don't forget it. I do suggest studying the loan docs before your signings. Practice on how you would present each page with the borrower. If you don't know what something is, ask, ask, ask. Reading this board really helped me. Use the internet as a tool. There is so much information literally at your fingertips. Good luck.

Reply by Roger/OH on 7/28/05 7:16am
Msg #55299

Wrong approach

Glad that worked for you, but it won't for most. He/she not going to find any $100 SS when just starting out, and the lack of experience is not going to warrant that kind of fee. He/she needs to sign up with a few hundred SS to cut his/her signing teeth on. They are also much more forgiving than title companies.

Reply by DA/VA on 7/28/05 8:47am
Msg #55314

Re: Wrong approach

I completely agree with Roger! Even with experience it is hard to get $100 from signing services and even ones you are established with. Experience IS important in what we do because each loan is different there are so many errors we as notaries can make. Experience allows you to be able to work with the different types of loans and lenders. So, $50 jobs-if local - is good for gaining experience and confidence in what you do.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/28/05 9:16am
Msg #55318

I agree with Roger too. (Although I pay my signing agents more than $50)

You need to be experienced before asking for $100 - and then you won't get $100 from a signing service unless edocs are involved.

$50 is fine - just don't go further than 20 miles for that (40 mile RT)

Reply by Lee/AR on 7/28/05 9:32am
Msg #55320

Just cuz I guess I'm in a contrary mood today... I've lived & 'notaried' in 2 states... and my fees have changed due to TIME it takes to drive X # of miles in each state. Earlier state - I figured avg. speed of 60mph. Arkansas? Ha! If I'm really lucky, it's 30mph; some days/places, it's closer to 20mph avg. speed. So that 20 mile trip can (and often does) take 1 hour each way. Both have been rural areas--but AR hills & curves take their toll.

Reply by SherryB on 7/28/05 2:02pm
Msg #55371

I would have to agree with taking all the $50 signings you can get in the beginning. This is the advice I give to everyone that is starting out just because it is a whole lot better to get your feet wet with the $50 companies and save the $100 ones for when you truly have the experience (and are less likely to make mistakes)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.