Notary Rotary
sit-a-long
Notary Discussion History

sit-a-long
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by jan-Santa Clarita, Ca on 7/9/05 1:57pm
Msg #50765

sit-a-long

Hi, I'm a new notary/loan signing agent (notaryclasses.com). I live in Santa Clarita, Ca. anyone willing to let me do a couple of "sit-a-longs" with them during any of their signings? My hours are really flexible and I'd just like to see a real signing before I tackle my first one. Thanks, in advance for any help.

Reply by Lori/CA on 7/9/05 2:28pm
Msg #50775

Most signing services (SS) or title companies (TC) don't want signing agents (SA) to bring anyone with them. Most Signing Agents don't want to train their competition, if you show someone the ropes you just take away work from yourself. I would suggest you go over your own set of loan docs or ask a family member if you can look over their set of documents. Sign up with as many companies as you can. Most of us just jumped in and did it.

Did your instructor suggest that you try to get someone to do a ride along with?

Reply by jan-ca on 7/9/05 3:52pm
Msg #50785

Yes, she did. But I figure, being in law enforcement 20 plus years, knowing how "court docs" have to read and all, it can't be that hard. I've bought several homes, refied, myself, and have the book from the class that I just keep reviewing and reviewing. I'll be fine, just want that "first siging" to come so I have it under my belt. Thanks!

Reply by Lori on 7/9/05 4:19pm
Msg #50788

Thanks for answering. It explains why new notaries were coming on the board asking for ride
alongs and such. Can't fault you guys, when you were instructed to do so. Read as much as you can, and ask questions. Use the search key on the to read as much on a subject also on the boards.

Reply by Hesham Elaziry on 7/10/05 2:24am
Msg #50820

Keep looking. Lori has a point, but try. Don't give up. Read the docs before you go to borrower's house, and put a post-it-note, on where you need to notarize.
I live far away from you.

Very best luck to you.

Reply by christiSocal on 7/10/05 2:54am
Msg #50821

If you want to check out some mock loan docs Brendatx offered some in message 50257. That might help, also check out message 33325 for good info.

Reply by sue on 7/10/05 8:32am
Msg #50829

Why don't you ask the people you paid money to for your class to 'sit-a-long' with them?

Reply by jan-ca on 7/10/05 10:10am
Msg #50841

Yes, I will email her today. Thanks

Reply by Allison B -Cali2 on 7/10/05 12:35pm
Msg #50850

Jan

Hi Jan - Your message is not helpful to the poster: Can you imagine how many students those instructors teach? That wouldn't be fair to everyone and if I knew my instructor played favorites, I wouldn't be happy. Let me offer some helpful suggestions to watch a signing or two (which is what I did at the suggestion of my instructor! - I am responsible for my own success and do not depend on someone doing it for me (my motto!)

- I went to my bank (Wells Fargo)and asked if I could watch a notary -- I watched 4
- I went to my local PacnMail and asked if I could watch a notary -- after 3 hours, I watched 7!
- I called another notary that I met on a chat board and asked her if I could sit and watch: She took me on 2 signings (with permission from the borrowers and escrow first) and for dinner and a Starbucks coffee, I made out! This wonderful lady (Mary from Ontario who would be embarassed if she knew!) showed me the ropes including how she did her journal -- HINT: SHE IS WAY OUT OF MY AREA AND DID NOT VIEW ME AS A THREAT
- I dropped my cards at local elderly homes and have had a lot of practice!

This, within a matter of 5-6 months, gave me enough confidence to go out and tackle "the big girls" at escrow. I am still working for signing companies but am working towards my goal of one day only signing for lenders and escrow or title. Your idea is great and I admire you for asking the question!!! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

-

Reply by Allison B - Cali2 on 7/10/05 12:38pm
Msg #50851

OOPPS! I Meant SUE! NM

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 7/10/05 2:08pm
Msg #50861

Re: OOPPS! I Meant SUE! NM

Without assuming too much here I believe the heart of Sue's post is this. When I took my SA course the subject came up. One of the attendees mentioned ride-alongs and asked if it was an acceptable practice. The instructor said something like "ride-alongs are a good way to get a little more familiarity with signing agent work". Yet the instructor failed to mention that most ss and tc don't allow the sa to bring someone along; and that asking someone in your area is not a wise thing to do. She just quickly went on to the next subject. I'm just glad I found these boards and read up on it before making a fool of myself.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/10/05 2:17pm
Msg #50863

Re: OOPPS! I Meant SUE! NM

For the money they charge for those courses, they should include a ride a long with one of their instructors! Why should someone else "train" by having the new signing agent ride a long? If they train the new signing agents correctly, there should be no need of a ride a long. I don't believe any of us who were in this business before the NNA took over NASA ever asked for or had a ride a long. If the training is thorough, a ride a long is not necessary.

Reply by To Miss Sylvia on 7/11/05 9:16am
Msg #50922

Weren't You an Instructor? Did you Take your students along?

As I would imagine that you would know, practical application and book-learning and/or lecture are apples and oranges. You can learn all day long, days long, months long on HOW to properly perform your job, but until you actually perform it, there's a big difference. There's nothing like actually doing it.

What I told the original poster answered her question, was helpful and gave her some hope -- I gave her practical examples that will help her help herself. But you, saying that the instructor should take someone on a ride-along because of the money the student spends does not help the poster -- reply was not helpful to her at all.

**I have also been told that you have taught classes as well: Did you take all your students on a ride-along to show them how to be a notary? ? ? **

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/11/05 10:16am
Msg #50934

Re: I got a call this weekend

from a colleague I've never met about possibly covering her signings while she is on vacation.

We ended up talking about the over-saturation problem, thanks to the NNA. Once a newly graduated NNA SA (who had just completed the one-day seminar) called her to see if she would mentor her. I don't recall now, but I know she (the newbie) said she didn't have a laser printer or fax -- and I'm not sure about the computer. At any rate, the caller (newbie) said she expected to be paid by my colleague to mentor her. No joke -- she asked her how much she gets paid for signings and that the NNA told her that mentors paid the *trainee* for training based on what their signing fee is.

My colleague called the NNA and was told they do not tell the class participants that they will get paid by a mentor -- but if they are telling them to call for ride-alongs, who knows what illusions they are leaving the session with.

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/11/05 10:32am
Msg #50935

Re: To Allison B.

I've been reading several of your cheerleader rah-rah pump-m-up encouragement posts, and just curious if your own signing fees are below $50?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/12/05 10:30pm
Msg #51460

Re: Weren't You an Instructor? Did you Take your students along?

The classes I taught were the State required ones for those wishing to become notaries - not mobile notaries/signing agents. Most of the students were becoming notaries because their job required it. The class was to teach them notary law, nothing else!

Reply by jan-ca on 7/10/05 7:36pm
Msg #50878

Re: Jan

Thanks for your support. I won't give up.

Reply by Eve - San Diego on 7/12/05 10:41am
Msg #51227

Sylvia never answered the question

Did she or did she not/does she/does she not teach for a notary class? A lot of nerve to say what she did if she does!
And Carolyn - what's wrong with rahrah? I like it -- a lot better to read then all the "all about me" bolgona from signers that seem to love to talk about themselves.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/12/05 11:07am
Msg #51237

Re: Sylvia never answered the question

Sylvia is an ASN certified instructor, authorized to teach the required Florida notary training course. Other than that, I do not believe she is affiliated with any "notary classes" that is of a commercial nature.

Maybe I missed something, but what did she say that would take a lot of nerve is she did teach?

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/12/05 1:42pm
Msg #51319

Re: To Eve -- AGAIN

*Carolyn - what's wrong with rahrah? I like it -- a lot better to read then all the "all about me" bolgona from signers that seem to love to talk about themselves.*

Apparently, you posted this to me BEFORE you began posting *ALL ABOUT YOU* and your uncalled for attacks.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/12/05 10:39pm
Msg #51465

Re: Sylvia never answered the question - Eve

Yes,I taught Notary classes, not signing agent classes. Florida requires those wanting to be notaries to take a 3 hour class. I taught those classes. The students were there to learn Florida notary law. They were not looking to be mobile notaries or signing agents. Their jobs required them to become notaries and their employers paid for their classes.

When I posted about the "ride alongs" it was to those (like the NNA) who are charging big bucks for their signing agent class and then expecting other signing agents to complete the training for them by taking the new ones out on ride a longs.

Oh - and I have offered ride a longs to new signing agents in my area, I also have made myself available by phone at any time for those who want to ask notarial questions or questions on loan docs.

And the reason I never answered the question, was because I hadn't seen it. It was pointed out to me just a few minutes ago. This thread had scrolled off the page so I wasn't following it any longer.

Reply by Susan Shipman on 7/12/05 10:48pm
Msg #51468

Re: Sylvia never answered the question - Eve

Slyvia - no need to even read this (or my) post, much less answer it, as IMHO you are flawless in your advice, and ever-so-helpful. Don't waste your "pearls on swine" (I think Brenda said it much better than me). I just wish I had someone as sound as you to show me the best way to do this business of being "NSA" - ridealongs be damned. I for one am grateful you bother with posting here, as I've learned so much from you.

Thanks much!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/12/05 11:16pm
Msg #51477

Re: Sylvia never answered the question - Susan

Thanks SusanSmiley

I hope Eve and others realize there is a difference in teaching classes so notaries can get their commission, and teaching signing agent classes.

Don't hesitate to contact me, phone or e-mail,if I can help you any time.
(Contact info is in my profile)

Reply by Susan Shipman on 7/12/05 11:21pm
Msg #51478

I will count on it friend...thx again...n/m

Reply by HisHughness on 7/12/05 11:22pm
Msg #51479

Re: Sylvia never answered the question

Eve, you are living breathing proof that jerks come in both sexes. Sylvia has contributed more to raise the responsible, professional level of our profession than 10 of your ilk.

Reply by Anonymous on 7/19/05 1:17am
Msg #53052

Sit Along

Hi,

I'm a newbie as well. The process is a little intimidating to get started. I found someone's website in a different county from mine, and he was helping me with my Checklists.

I would LOVE a sit-along session just a couple times to 'stick my toe in the water'. I called my instructor and asked if I could ride with him, that I'd even pay him. He said 'well, you need one of my students, like a mentor'. I said yes, that is what I'm asking for, and can you ask one if they are available? (He does like to tell success stories in class quite a bit.) So, then he says 'no'. He basically left me hanging.

It would just feel a little more comfortable if I sit-in for a couple of hours of actual hands-on notarizing! I think the original poster was correct in asking.

-Laura in CA

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.