Notary Rotary
steps taken when doing a signing
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by plca on 7/19/05 3:10pm
Msg #53160

I was just wondering if I could get some different ways that some of you more experienced sa do your signing. Like for example, do you always get id's first, get any stipulations from borrowers and then do journal entries. I guess I just want some examples. I don't know if you should do all journal entries and then have them sign your journal and then have them sign all docs??

Reply by SDgirl on 7/19/05 3:20pm
Msg #53161

Usually these are my steps:
- Introduce myseld and explain my role
-Collect I.D. and record in Journal
-Collect any necessary paperwork/documents
-Proceed to sign docs
-Complete Journal Entries for all Notarizes Docs
-Collect Final Signatures in Journal & Fingerprints
-Give borrower their copies of docs
-Review signed docs for any missed signatures/seals
-Say Thank you & goodbye

Hope this helps :>

Reply by plca on 7/19/05 3:32pm
Msg #53170

so you have them sign docs then do you have post it notes on all docs that need to be notarized so you can then go back and fill out journal? I guess what I am wondering is when you have them sign docs you are handing them each doc to sign right, then you would finish your journal but do you then go back through all docs so you can fill out journal??

Reply by TinaG_CA on 7/19/05 4:29pm
Msg #53188

I always notate the notarized docs as I go, that way I don't forget any. When my husband and I refi'd last year the notary didn't list one single doc in her journal. She said she did it when she got home with the doc's. I then said, "I guess that means you'll miss the Fed Ex cut off" She said she does it all the time. Needless to say, I told her I wanted our doc's dropped that afternoon so we could close our loan quicker. You should of seen the look she gave me.

Reply by Becca/FL on 7/19/05 4:44pm
Msg #53193

I don't like having my journal open on the table, too many nosey people. I notarize at the table and jot down the notarized docs in my journal while at home doing my third & final check before sending them off. By doing so, I am forcing myself to check my work one more time before I send it off.

Also, (and credit for this goes to someone else - was it PAW or Dennis? I can't remember) I ask for ID first and while I am taking down ID info for my journal & AIV, etc., I give the borrowers the HUD to look over explaining that I will go over it with them as soon as I have all the stuff I need out of the way. 60% of the people I deal with understand the HUD, sign it and don't ask questions. By doing this, I cut my average time at a closing down by 10 minutes.

Can anyone remember who gave this tip? All I remember was that it was a man.

Sorry, not slighting the original author, just getting old.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/19/05 9:15pm
Msg #53249

It may have been me that suggested it, since that is exactly how I do my signings. But, honestly, I don't remember if I said it or not. If I did, thank you for remembering. If I didn't, thank you for thinking I did. Smiley

Reply by Becca/FL on 7/19/05 10:38pm
Msg #53263

Well, since Dennis hasn't graced us with his pressence for a while, I think you should take the credit. I do believe, after all, that it was in fact you that said it.

Thanks Paul - It sure does work for me.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/19/05 3:45pm
Msg #53175

I get their ID and record it in my journal first thing and have them sign my journal - this way if it is a no-sign I have a record that I was there.
As I notarize the docs I record them in my journal.

Reply by Brian/CA on 7/19/05 5:29pm
Msg #53201

I do it the same way. I have never had a problem with people trying to look in my journal. You are genearally sitting across or they are at the end of a table. When you get use to filling it out as you go, it really doesn't take any longer. I generally have time to record my documents and check the documents for missing infromation two or three times as the borrowers are signing the forms. I like to sit at one of the long sides of the table so I can spread out the documents and have plenty of room.

Reply by AllisonB/SoCA on 7/20/05 7:48am
Msg #53308

Becca and PAW are Wrong for California Notaries

In California, we must make journal entries for each document that is to be notarized for each signer. We can't do this at home!!! So when your customers sign your journal, they sign EACH LINE for every notarization. I don't know where you're from but if CA, then do not follow the advice of anyone to make your entries at home!! It would help if you put your state when you post.

Reply by TinaG_CA on 7/20/05 9:29am
Msg #53319

Re: Becca and PAW are Wrong for California Notaries

Allison you are right about notating each notarial act but the borrowers only have to sign once. They do not have to sign each line for every notarization.

Reply by Angel - LA on 7/20/05 9:51am
Msg #53327

Sorry! But think about it TinaG: What if you are subpeonaed for the Deed, but you've combined all the other documents in one line? that sounds crazy and as for me, I will continue to take a little extra time (what, another couple of minutes?) and annotate one line per customer, per notarization. I will not challenge you on teh law, but I'm looking at my handbook and feel alot more comfortable with doing it THE RIGHT WAY -- maybe I'll call the Secretary of State and ask!

Reply by TinaG_CA on 7/20/05 10:45am
Msg #53342

Angel ....

I don't think you understood my post. I do not combine my documents, I list each notarized doc on a separate line, per California law. What I was stating was that the signatures only have to be one time not for every doc notarized.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 7/20/05 10:48am
Msg #53343

When I took my certification class the mock signing we did had us have the borrower sign each line for each individual notarization. What's funny and I'm thankful for is that the supply kit had the MoJo in it so borrower only needs to sign once. As for my process at the table I fill out the date, time, record ID, have them sign, thumbprint. Then as we go through the paperwork I check off the notarizations. I do notarize at the table. Though some like to do it when they get home I don't. I like to check the docs as they are handed back, and when completed. I don't like to open up the package of docs at my home. What a kid or pet can do just by entering the room can be surprising. One time I had three file folders on the floor as I was organizing my files. Somebody let the dog in and she trampled over them. Thankfully her feet were clean nothing got messed up. I do however fill in the fee in my journal and any optional information at home.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/20/05 1:56pm
Msg #53377

What did I say that was wrong for CA notaries? I don't remember saying anything about how a CA notary should complete their journal. My response was to how to start the process, about copying ID information while the signers review the HUD. Nothing about the journal. Florida doesn't even require a journal, so I may no assertions, one way or the other, on how a journal is to be kept.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.