Notary Rotary
Acknowledgement Question
Notary Discussion History

Acknowledgement Question
Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by Pat Larson on 6/10/05 9:23pm
Msg #43904

Acknowledgement Question

Help!!!! At a signing tonight, the mortgage acknowledgement had a space to be filled in and I am not sure what goes in there. It is as follows:

On this 10th day of June, 2005, before me (my name), the undersigned _____________ officer, personally appeared etc., etc.(I know the rest).

That goes in the space after undersigned?? Maybe I am spacing but this is a first for me. If someone could give me an answer quickly, I need to send the docs out in the morning.

Reply by Hampton/CA on 6/10/05 9:29pm
Msg #43906

As long as it complies with your state's laws, you might possibly write "public", or cross out the pre-printed word "officer", and write "notary public". When in doubt, cross out the whole thing and attach a loose certificate.

Reply by BrendaTX on 6/10/05 11:12pm
Msg #43917

Pat, it's just a bad form.

It was probably like this in the form used by the doc prep person.

...the undersigned _______ (officer)....

They should have not been too lazy to do this:

...the undersigned notary public ...

Being a former legal secretary with an eye for detail, and with an appreciation for perfectly drafted legal documents with zero mistakes in them, it gave me the the Southern vapors to see the "ugly" docs I was going to take to people to sign regarding their loan.

I absolutely hated having to cross out the incorrect venue and write it correctly. I had always produced flawless documents for the attorneys I worked for.

And, OMG, it made me want to cry to see documents which had been run through a copier 40 times...It seemed downright sinful to carry those documents to bwrs to sign.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.