Notary Rotary
Another eDoc Question
Notary Discussion History

Another eDoc Question
Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by HereWeGo on 6/16/05 11:06pm
Msg #45402

Another eDoc Question

Sorry for posting but need some info, and may be beneficial to many.......

When we are asked if we accept "eDocs" what exactly are we accepting to?

Do companies send these Docs via email OR do you have to go to a certain website with a Username and Password to download and print them?

Is that why we (as Signing Agents) have to worry about our Laser Printer's capabilities???

I am a little confused about the whole process, but from the jist of it I am supposing the company either can email the Docs or you (as the Notary/Signing Agent) have to retrieve the Docs from a secure website.

I have a HP 1012 Laserjet Printer, has anyone ever had any difficulties printing eDocs with this printer???

THANKS VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR ALL ASSISTANCE!!!

Reply by Cherilyn in CO on 6/16/05 11:13pm
Msg #45404

I took back my HP 1012 for that very reason

It doesn't have PCL and therefore cannot print certain Edocs. I'm sure someone else can explain better than I.

About 90% of the time (for me, at least) docs come emailed in PDF format. Your HP wouldn't have a problem with this. However, it's when you have to go to a website and retreive the docs is where you need the PCL language.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/16/05 11:15pm
Msg #45405

Sometimes edocs will be sent to you as an attached e-mail file (possibly pdf format) other times you may have to download from a website with a username and password.

Yes,we have to worry about the laser printer capabilities. But as long as your printer has the PCL 5 or PCL6 drivers you will be OK.

Reply by Midwest on 6/16/05 11:38pm
Msg #45411

I have printed almost every 'flavor' of edocs, from attachments to retrieving docs from a secure website and have never had a problem with my HP 1012. However, I print everything on legal, it does not have dual tray capabilites.

Reply by Leslie - Mo on 6/16/05 11:50pm
Msg #45415

I had my first problem today with my HP 1012 while trying to print docs from an Ameriquest loan. The docs downloaded ok but when I printed it didn't let me have the option of choosing paper size and ended up kind of compressing legal down to letter size - even though I was printing on legal size paper. Docs came through a website called Secure Sendit. When I called their support team was told that had happened because HP 1012 doesn't have a PCL 6 or at least pe5 driver. The man at support ended up forwarding the docs to another website and I was able to print them thru Adobe just fine. I'm shopping around now for a new printer. The HP 1320 has been recommended by several people on this board. Right now Office Depot (or maybe it's thru HP) is offering $100 rebate on that model. A second paper tray can be purchased for $150.

Reply by HereWeGo on 6/17/05 12:07am
Msg #45420

I was under the impression that HP (Hewlett Packard) were pretty much the originators of "PCL".

I also believe (or thought anyway) that the HP Printers were manufactured with this PCL 4, 5, 6 etc.

Unless someone can clarify this, I guess I am S.O.L. with the HP 1012 !!!!

OH and as to the posts with printing on Legal Size Paper...You need to check your Printing Preferences and change the settings to LEGAL (8.5"x14") and click "APPLY"

I know this printer (1012) is capable of doing so. Also it DOES have the ability for "Duplexing" (two sided printing), but it must be done manually. Consult the user manual if you cannot figure it out on your own...I know computer stuff is CONFUSING!!!!!!

I always feel it is best to "learn your equipment" by playing with it. <- Not being dirty there Smiley

Reply by Leslie - Mo on 6/17/05 12:13am
Msg #45426

I know how to go to properties and select paper size but this particular site doesn't allow for this. The support guy said this is set up to download and print wihout you making any selections - it purposely controls the whole thing.

Reply by HereWeGo on 6/17/05 12:19am
Msg #45427

Check this Site on PCL

http://www.citationsoftware.com/faqPCL.htm

Reply by PAW_Fl on 6/17/05 8:08am
Msg #45462

First, the HP Laserjet 1012 does **not** support PCL as it uses a "host based" or GDI engine. It will work just fine for normal printing from Windows products, such as Adobe (PDF) or even many SwiftView files. However, it will not print PCL specific files, like GMD or some eLynx files.

Second, the HP 1320 **does not** have a second tray option that can be added on. If you want a second tray, you need to order the HP 1320tn model. The "tn" ("t"ray / "n"etwork) has the second tray built in and utilizes a different chassis than the 1320 base model.

Finally, more and more document warehouses and prep products are using PCL6 as the base printer language. So, when shopping for a printer, I suggest you make sure that it is PCL6 compliant, not just PCL4 or 5e.

Reply by Leslie - Mo on 6/17/05 10:34am
Msg #45499

Paw, thanks for the information on the 1320. The salesman in Office Depot had both a 1320 and 1320tn on display and he said the difference was the extra tray and networking capabilites that the 1320tn has. He said an extra tray for the 1320 could be ordered from HP for $150 and he lifted a tray off the 1320tn to "show me" that it wasn't "attached". He said by doing that I would only be eliminating the networking capability that I don't need anyway. BTW the 1320tn was $599 and the 1320 was $399 with a $100 mail in rebate. Adding the $299 and $150 makes the 1320 with an extra tray only cost me $450 vs the $599 for the 1320tn. Your response tells me that the salesman is wrong. Please advise.

Reply by Les/CO on 6/17/05 11:50am
Msg #45523

I tried that very thing at Office Depot. It did not work! I took the 1320 Plus extra tray back and bought the 1320tn. It works great. (they gave me 10% off the 1320tn, yes it cost more, but it WORKS)

Reply by Dogmonger, Ca on 6/17/05 8:12am
Msg #45463

You may want to consider the HP 1300

Was the predecessor to the 1320, prints at 20 ppm, can add a second tray, and are found on e-bay for a song and a dance:-)

http://search.ebay.com/HP-LaserJet-1300_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQfromZR10QQsacatZ-1QQcatrefZC6QQsargnZ-1QQsaslcZ2QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsadisZ200QQfposZQ5AIPQ2FPostalQQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1QQcoactionZcompareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch

Reply by PAW_Fl on 6/17/05 8:51am
Msg #45472

Re: You may want to consider the HP 1300 - Excellent choice

The 1300, especially with a second tray, is a perfect addition to the complete notary signing agent office. It is quick and reliable, and is still one of the least expensive models available. You can find slightly used, refurbished and even new, in the box, printer on ebay and other internet sources.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.