Notary Rotary
Borrower thought whole deal was a scam
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by Cherilyn in CO on 6/10/05 2:47pm
Msg #43833

He said "What assures me that you and your people didn't just make up this letter (letter from citibank saying he was approved for HELOC) and are now making me sign these papers which signs my house over to you?"

He was dead serious. He had never heard of an in-home closing and said it was un-conventional. I gave him my business card, let him look at my notary book, asked him if he wanted to call the title company, Citibank, GOD for all I care, to verify I wasn't some sort of scam artist!

Finally, I grabbed the docs and said "Well, good luck with your loan then."

I've never been so mad in my entire life at a signing. I don't know, maybe he could have posed some of these questions when I called him to confirm? Maybe he could have called Citibank then? No just waste my bleeping time, thank you very much.

I hope his loan doesn't go through-EVER.

Reply by Charm_AL on 6/10/05 3:01pm
Msg #43835

I have had people ask me questions about this industry, usually refi's that did the first loan in an attorneys office. It is unconventional for those borrowers. I have a usual answer that puts them at ease and we continue.
Maybe it could have been saved if you said "well, let's call your Loan officer and he can verify that home signings are becoming the way of the future and that I, in fact, am contracted to close your loan. At that point, since he was confused, I would have got on my cell phone and handed it to him.

There are scam artists out there and it is scary for some to trust another to come to their home and get signatures and deal with finances. Especially so if he got hosed in the past, happens everyday.

Reply by MMB-fl on 6/10/05 3:04pm
Msg #43836

I had a guy want me to give him a copy of my drivers license ... ummm NO i dont think so ...

Reply by LisaV_MN on 6/10/05 4:02pm
Msg #43859

Same thing here in MN.
The wife said she wanted a copy of my drivers license. She didn't think I was for real. It took 45 mins to convince her I didn't want her identity. The whole time, the husband is going.... "Just sign already, she is for real." Her reply "I am just trying to protect our identity".

It's bad enough being me somedays - I certainly don't want to be her, too!

Reply by BrendaTX on 6/10/05 4:19pm
Msg #43864

I carry a couple of copies of my notary commission along and that's what I'll hand 'em IF they ask. I have produced my TDL for a doctor who was disturbed about turning over medical records to me even though I had the proper release.

I scanned the notary commission in and removed my address ... you know...just in case froggy wants to come a courtin' after midnight.

Reply by Cherilyn in CO on 6/10/05 4:35pm
Msg #43869

He didn't have a LO

He just followed the prompts through the letter that he received from Citibank. Talk about streamlined :-)

I agreed with him that someone should have at least called him and told him the procedure. But he questioned *my* integrity and that just pissed me off.

Reply by MsRobboPA on 6/11/05 2:25pm
Msg #43973

Fortunately no one has ever questioned who I am. When I call to confirm, I tell them why I am calling, who their loan is with and the SS plus my cell number if they need to reach me. Why would the borrower even let you come to his home if he felt that way. I don't blame you for telling him though. We deserve more respect than that.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.