Notary Rotary
Confused???
Notary Discussion History

Confused???
Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by Melissa-CA on 6/15/05 2:43pm
Msg #44883

Confused???

I have searched this sight for the "proper" way to record items notarized in my journal. I am a bit confused because answers range from list individual documents line by line with a signature and thumb pring(if necessary), to one entry with just one signature for all ducuments for a loan, to list all documents one by one and draw a diagonal line from the last listed to the first and have them sign that line, to get a "MOJO" and check the appropriate boxes............I checked the handbook and it says to record and identify each "notorial act" and "document type", so I would think that at the very least I would have to list the documents and notorial acts individually rather than just as "loan docs or misc. docs", but is it OK to have just the one signature and thumbprint to include all "notorial acts and document type" recorded?

I just want to make sure I record what is absulutely necessary for the state of California.

Thanks for your time!

Reply by SamIam_CA on 6/15/05 6:58pm
Msg #44943

**to get a "MOJO" and check the appropriate boxes** TRUE!

**I checked the handbook and it says to record and identify each "notarial act" and "document type", so I would think that at the very least I would have to list the documents and notarial acts individually rather than just as "loan docs or misc. docs"** TRUE! The MoJo lists many. many different docs and you check the box to indicate a) the type of act - be it an ack. or jurat and b) the name of the document.

**is it OK to have just the one signature and thumbprint?** YES. NotRot checked with the CA SOS and the MoJo meets their requirements (I read that in post by Harry many many moons ago.)

Reply by Melissa-CA on 6/16/05 12:41pm
Msg #45197

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer! I feel relieved! I did my first three signings two days ago for three loans in one night! I don't have a MoJo right now, so listed each one and did the diagonal signature and one thumb print. I was jus concerned because a lady who does notaries gave me advice and I was weary...she said that I needed only one line for the whole signing and to write for the document type "grant deed and Misc. docs" and that is it. When going through the docs to be notarized I had a: DOT(ack.), Cooperation Assignment of DOT(ack.), Compliance Agreement (Jurat), Statement of Occupancy & Financial Status(jurat), and AKA doc(ack.) to notarize. I did not feel comfortable just identifying one for all those.

I'll get this sooner or later!

Any way......thanks for the advice!

Reply by Sam on 6/16/05 12:46pm
Msg #45203

You're very welcome.
If your adviser ever had her journal subpoenaed I think she'd be in a mess of trouble with the misc. docs.

You did it right for California Smiley

Reply by Melissa-CA on 6/16/05 1:10pm
Msg #45212

I'm telling you...I was just commissioned May 1st and have been lingering behind the scenes reading alot of the posts here trying to learn and absorb all I can! You guys and gals sure know how to scare a "newbie". I am hanging in....I have a mortgage company here in my small town that I am working with, so I lucked out on being able to get signings right away..I turned down several though because I didn't feel quite comfortable until I researched more on my own! Anyway..I am learning and I can see where things can get a little messy. I do enjoy reading these post for both educational and amusing purposes!

Reply by Nadia on 6/16/05 5:24pm
Msg #45283

I am a new notary and my instructor told me that it only takes one line for the 1 loan package. My journal has entries for every form you can possibly notarize in one line, and all you do is check them off. If you have the old forms, maybe it's not okay to use one line.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.