Notary Rotary
Field Inspector vs Home Inspector
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by lennyk/FL on 6/14/05 3:46pm
Msg #44613

Here is my question? I want to know what the difference is between a Field Inspector and a Home Inspector. From what I can discern from web searches and searches here they are different but some people call them the same thing. Many people say they are "Home Inspectors" but talk about drive by's and taking photo's. I may be ignorant but I thought a "Home Inspector " actually inspected the property. Checked the plumbing, electrical, HVAC, roof, Etc. This confuses me. Additionally I am curious, as I am wanting to grow my business and offer other services to help increase my income. I have just found out that a HB 315 (House Bill) has become law in Florida that requires all florida home inspectors to take a 60 hour course and then list on their home inspections their experience, years inspecting, number of paid inspections and carry $300,000.00 of insurance to be able to call themselves a "home inspector" does any florida people have any input.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/14/05 4:01pm
Msg #44616

Lenny - If you have read my stuff...I am a field inspector. I do not do homes.

Your idea is correct I think.

Reply by lennyk/FL on 6/14/05 5:07pm
Msg #44629

I don't know? that's why I asked maybe a Florida person could tell me.

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 6/14/05 5:13pm
Msg #44630

I am called a property inspector, not a home inspector. I do commericial and residential. There are all kinds of residential property inspections. I do HUD foreclosure. Properties are vacant and you can not do a home inspection as there is no electricity. You only do a visual for damage. I do drive-bys that are called property inspections, but you have no contact with the home owner. Again, these are visual and just photos and description of property.

Reply by lennyk/Fl on 6/14/05 5:34pm
Msg #44635

Thanks Margaret. That clarifies things for me. How do you become a property inspector?

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 6/14/05 6:13pm
Msg #44641

Join SOFI (Society of Field Inspectors) www.sofi.us Purchase the company directory and apply to all the companies that you can. Just like signing up with signing agencies. Get your information on the database. I have gone to training for Mortgage Ramp and I just got back 2 weeks ago from FEMA training and I just got my Certification in the mail yesterday. You had to take a test and I passed. I am ready to be deployed to a disaster.

Reply by lennyk/FL on 6/14/05 6:20pm
Msg #44643

Margaret, thank you for the information. Where in Florida are you located? Maybe I could send you business if your in my area to show my thanks.

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 6/14/05 6:25pm
Msg #44645

I service the Jacksonville, Florida metro area. I do HUD inspections in Norh Florida/South Georgia

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.