Notary Rotary
Grant Deed
Notary Discussion History

Grant Deed
Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by Marlene Blom on 6/7/05 4:25pm
Msg #43004

Grant Deed

Can anyone tell me...I have to notarize a Grant Deed that has already been signed but not notarized, there are 2 signers. I have to notarize it, but they signed it and didn't get it notarized to I attach a loose ack. or just check there ID and make out the acknowledgement that is on the Grant Deed doc?? Thank you for your imput..Marlene

Reply by PAW_Fl on 6/7/05 5:24pm
Msg #43012

Assuming the deed has an "acknowledgment" certificate pre-printed on the instrument, then all they signers need to do is "acknowledge" that the signature is theirs. They do not need to re-sign the instrument. You, as the notary, must properly ID them according to your state laws, and ensure that they signed the instrument of their own free will and accord.

IF the instrument has a jurat on it, which I doubt, then you would need to put the signers under oath and then they would have to re-sign the instrument, swearing (or affirming) to the contents of the instrument. Depending on your state laws, you may need to additionally have to ID them. Then you would complete the jurat certificate.

You do not need to attach a loose certificate unless the preprinted one does not conform to your state guidelines. If it does conform, simply use the preprinted certificate. (Recorders like when you use the preprinted certificates. Smiley)

Reply by Marlene on 6/7/05 5:49pm
Msg #43017

Thank you Paul, I have only been notarizing since the end of April, so that clarified what I needed to know...hugggggggggggs ..I appreciate your response.....I also am a certified signing agent, but they didn't say much about that kind of thing...since this is the sellers deed and it does have it pre printed ack. on it. I an still getting my feet with with all of this, but I will stick to it. again thank you very much....Marlene

Reply by Jon on 6/7/05 5:25pm
Msg #43013

Ahem!

It depends on the type of notarization they want. Are they asking for a jurat or an acknowledgement? Also, your state may have specific rules to this question, what state are you in and have you checked your state handbook?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/7/05 5:41pm
Msg #43016

Re: Ahem!

She said there is already an acknowledgment on the Grant DeedSmiley

Reply by Jon on 6/7/05 6:02pm
Msg #43021

So she did Smiley At any rate, I thought I would try to be nice while pointing her to her handbook for the answer to this particular question that should have been covered in her training classes.

Reply by HisHughness on 6/7/05 8:37pm
Msg #43035

Jon...

E-mail me, will you? I have something to tell you -- besides that you have a cute tush.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.