Notary Rotary
How much info do you record
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by CarolynCO on 6/27/05 6:22pm
Msg #48266

in your journal? I record the tracking numer of course, the name/address of the TC where I sent the package, and the contact name if I have one. I just had a Borrower call me from a signing the first part of May asking me for the loan officer's name and phone number. I told her that I don't keep any Borrower info. She is an elderly lady and says she can't find the info on the loan app (although she has kept my phone number from my initial call -- go figure!). Apparently, she paid property taxes of $1,500 and was told she would be reimbursed -- and as yet, she has not received the money.

I have e-mailed the SS but have not received a response. This is the first time a Borrower has contacted me after a signing with any sort of question or request. I don't know if she is just confused or if she has a legit problem. I know that it's not my problem, but just wondering if any of you keep any other contact info regarding the loans?

Reply by TitleGalCA on 6/27/05 6:35pm
Msg #48268

I would have her call the TC/escrow officer. They can account for how any funds were distributed or how tax dollars were applied and if and when anything would be re-imbursed.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 6/27/05 6:37pm
Msg #48269

disclaimer...

just as a kindness - it's technicaly not your problem, but I see no problem with sharing the t/c info you have (eg. phone number).

So many elderly get taken advantage of, or just don't 'hear' all the info during a transaction.

Reply by SamIam_CA on 6/27/05 6:52pm
Msg #48275

Wow! You record much more than I. In the journal itself I write down the name of the company that hired me and occasionally the name of the lender. I also note the mileage. That's it!

With my bookkeeping I keep a printout of the original e-mail (if any) along with my invoice and a printout of the map used (to document the mileage).

I'm curious as to what everyone else is doing too!

Reply by Art_MD on 6/27/05 7:04pm
Msg #48280

I keep pretty much the same info...
Original confirmation, directions, lender's name, EDEX/DHL label (or copy if a computer printed label is supplied), copy of fax confirmation my fax machine prints and notes re: closing (write on confirmation )

Art

Reply by CarolynCO on 6/27/05 11:11pm
Msg #48364

OK, I'm guilty because I purchased the Notary Signing Log from the NNA when I first began signings last year. In that log, I record the name of the SS or TC and mileage and fee. I can also see instantly which signings are outstanding if I get called while on the road and I don't have access to my invoice program on my computer. That's how I keep individual SS's from owing me hundreds of dollars from numerous unpaid signings and will not accept the signing if I see they owe me for more than 2 signings.

In my journal, I keep the Borrower's info, name, address, along with tracking number, name and address of company package sent, date, location I shipped doc. Also, Borrowers never see the signing fee because I don't record it in my journal. I also have file folders for each SS and TC and keep e-mail printouts of all orders, etc. Many times overnight docs don't have all the shipping info on the e-mail confirmation, and I guess that's why I record it in my journal. I know that my recordkeeping is overkill, however, I've been self-employed since 1992 and having too much info is better than not enough, IMO. If my hard drive crashes (and it has), I will have "paper" backup; if something happens to my journal or the log, I will have access to my info on my computer or in my filing cabinet; if something happens to my filing cabinets ... well, you get the picture.

Reply by Sam I am on 6/28/05 11:10am
Msg #48447

**If my hard drive crashes (and it has), I will have "paper" backup; if something happens to my journal or the log, I will have access to my info on my computer or in my filing cabinet; if something happens to my filing cabinets ... well, you get the picture.**

Do you also keep do a weekly backup of your computer and then store it off site - just in case your office burns down and you lose your computer and files all at the same time? I used to do that in my former profession. Now - I just say -scr@w it!

Reply by CarolynCO on 6/28/05 12:44pm
Msg #48491

Yes I do back up, I would like to say weekly, but sometimes it only happens twice a month and store the backups offsite. I've just got too much attorney/client stuff to risk not backing up and storing it all someplace. I usually make copies of the backups and let each attorney keep one, just in case something happens to my own backup. After getting the OpServe Worm a few years back and it wiping me clean, and then less than a year later one of my computer hard drives crashing, I've learned my lesson.

Reply by Cherilyn in CO on 6/27/05 8:24pm
Msg #48312

Not too much in my journal...

But I do keep all of my confirmations. Sometimes they list LO name and phone #.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 6/27/05 8:24pm
Msg #48313

Now I see I didn't respond well to the original question...my journal is pretty much the same as Sams and Art.

I just have this soft spot for the elderly and I hope the lady's question gets answered - now that my mom is not at the top of her game, I hope others take a moment to help and to hope that others direct them them to the right source.

Reply by CarolynCO on 6/27/05 11:23pm
Msg #48372

I appreciate everyone's responses. I feel the same about older people as you do. Too many people try to take advantage of them. I know that this is not my problem, but if this woman felt confident enough with me that she kept my name and phone number (and not her loan officer), I will do whatever I can to help her -- even if I have to make a trip to her house (on my own dime) to find the info that she needs on the loan app.

Come to think of it, people are taken advantage of no matter what their age -- another reason I didn't have a problem with the young lady taking two hours yesterday to read each and every word of her *first* home purchase loan.

People who accuse us of rude and obnoxious posts have no idea how we actually handle signing situations.

Reply by Nd_WA on 6/27/05 11:45pm
Msg #48379

I record lender name/loan#, TC/escrow#. All other info go in the speadsheet I keep for each company.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.