Notary Rotary
Is Michigan a Witness state?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by Lee/AR on 6/27/05 9:14pm
Msg #48329

If so, 1 or 2?; if 2, can notary be 1 of the witnesses?

Reply by ItsMe123 on 6/27/05 9:20pm
Msg #48333

MI not a witness state but we are a homestead state

Reply by Julie-MI on 6/27/05 9:34pm
Msg #48341

I just replied on GMN. We used to be a witness state, but no longer.

If you are signing a michigan property in AR, you still would not need witnesses, because in our wonderful state, we recognize the laws of the state where the document is executed in. So if AR doesn't require witnesses it would still record here.

Reply by MI_Notary on 6/27/05 10:52pm
Msg #48356

Michigan is not a witness state. This is nice because you don't have to track down a witness and it keeps the closing personal (that is the borrower's don't have to share their info with a friend just to close their loan). When I first started the state did require witnesses, so I would always have to ask the borrower if they had a friend or something like that (non-interested party) to witness their loan or I would have to bring a friend with me. I would then be the other witness. No witness makes things a bit smoother as well. Smiley

Reply by Ted_MI on 6/28/05 11:47am
Msg #48468

Re: And dower is alive and well in Michigan, too .....

However, curtesy, the comparable right for men, was abolished by the Michigan legislature some time ago.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.