Notary Rotary
Message for ALL
Notary Discussion History

Message for ALL
Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by sweetpea on 6/1/05 11:58am
Msg #41473

Message for ALL

Thanks to everyone that was kind. And also thanks to those that were evil. I didn't realize (because I am new) that I shouldn't ask those kind of questions. No I am not in Pre-K, believe me I do have common sense and book sense. I never assume to receive a list of signing companies handed down to me. BUT TRULY, some GUIDANCE from what I believed were experts in the field. For those evil FOLKS, I hope in some way that you are professional in all that you do. Because if you were, you wouldn't have handle the "newbie" with such NASTINESS. But thats ok too. When I become an expert in the field, and I will, I truly will help someone with kind words or at least answer the question about Executive Signing Company and my thoughts were never thinking I would get a list of companies from my question just some honest help, I was shocked at some of the EVIL responses. And just for the EVIL FOLKS information, I was searching when I found NOTARY ROTARY!!! and still thanks so much.

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 6/1/05 12:05pm
Msg #41476

Sorry you walked on coals with bare feet here. There are truly some really caring people on this forum who answer questions and help others. There are people who even mentor "newbies" because they feel it's the right thing to do.

Best wishes to you. If you want to email me with questions instead of posting things here feel free to do so. [e-mail address]

The key to learning things on this site is to put on a suit of teflon when posting questions and or comments. Don't take things personally. You know who you are and what you know and don't allow yourself to internalize what the evil folks on here say.

Reply by Anonymous on 6/1/05 12:14pm
Msg #41481

to all Newbies including myself. Hang in there when asking questions and consider the source of anyone who is so rude to another asking questions. Miserable people like to make other people miserable.
Keep asking questions to learn the business and those that are mature will answer you properly!!!

Reply by Judith_VA on 6/1/05 12:45pm
Msg #41498

Ditto!

Not only hang in, but use the search button! I have saved myself from so much grief by using the search button. I just finished reading all of Margaret's posts yesterday. I copied many a good pieces of info to a word doc to study while I wait at long traffic lights and congested traffic. I'll do a search on Brenda_TX next. All words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!

Reply by DellaCa on 6/1/05 12:55pm
Msg #41512

Re: Ditto!

Sorry you were hit so for your question,I was a few times at first also, as were many.I was told just be a duck and let it roll off your back and say Thank You for your response.Then learn who are the one's to ask questions of.But do use the search button or go to the beginning and read, most of your questions will be answered this way.Even thou I am not a veteran at this I will try to help.

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 6/1/05 1:01pm
Msg #41516

Reading messages

I know some people have taken the time and highly recommend reading each and every message that's been posted and saved on this board, but in all honesty there's so much cr*p to wade through that doesn't have anything to do with anything I'm looking for information on.

People post jokes and stories... There are the floggings... I personally don't have the time or patience to wade through a lot of the trash that's on the board. I think using the search button has helped me the most so I can zero in on what I need information on.

Just my opinion.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 6/1/05 1:21pm
Msg #41525

Re: Reading messages

I couldn't agree more with you on that Maggie. To much to wade through. Search feature helps with that.

Reply by Philem on 6/1/05 1:04pm
Msg #41518

As others have replied: There are many folks on here that are more than willing to help. Unfortunately, there are a fair number of ... folks more wililng to be snide. Happened to me, has happened to many folks, so you're in good and large company!

Keep asking your questions. Use the search option, so you can get some ideas, but if it's not working, just fire away. Also, keep in mind all the e-mail addresses you'll collect of folks offering offline assistance (as I am, even though I'm in Ohio. Check my profile for addy).

Good luck, and don't let the snideness hurt too much! :-)
-Jim

Reply by Mary Head on 6/1/05 2:02pm
Msg #41542

Hey Sweetpea
welcome to the board...I tried to defend you as I would anyone...and ended up being the target...HE HE HE oh well took the heat off of you which was the intention......there should be more like me in this world...I will help when I can.
keep asking questions all you want,,,thats what this is here for....they can choose not to answer them...!!!

Reply by Elda Garibay on 6/1/05 2:49pm
Msg #41550

O.C.-CALIFORNIA Message for ALL

Hi! I'm a newbie! got any advise??!!

Reply by SamIam_CA on 6/1/05 2:53pm
Msg #41552

read post 33325 ASAP n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/1/05 3:06pm
Msg #41557

Re: Message for ALL - Sweetpea

Where is the Executive Signing Company located that you are asking about?

Sometimes, there are more than one or two companies with the same name.

Helpful if you give us the location of the company.

Also, please put your state after your name, so if it is a state specific question you have we know how best to help you.

Never be afraid of asking questions, the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.

Reply by HisHughness on 6/1/05 3:17pm
Msg #41561

Sylvia advises:

***Never be afraid of asking questions, the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.***

Examples of dumb questions that should not be asked, and that will not be rendered intelligent questions if they are asked:

Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?

What color hair does that blonde have?

How many angles are there in a triangle?

What do you use for a rope trick?

Do lawyers ever lie?

Do new signing agents ever ask dumb questions?

Reply by megan so cal on 6/1/05 4:12pm
Msg #41590

Hugh, I always, always, always look forward to your comments...keep them coming.

Reply by Anonymous on 6/1/05 5:38pm
Msg #41625

Megan so cal... Comments or Sarcasm????

I'm glad you and some of the others enjoy the wit and humor in the Hugh's put downs. He is the supreme being on the board I guess; so yes, please keep encouraging him and others like him.

Reply by CaliNotary on 6/1/05 8:51pm
Msg #41673

Re: Megan so cal... Comments or Sarcasm????

Boo freaking hoo.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 6/1/05 6:25pm
Msg #41643

Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?

So, if this is an example of a dumb question that should not be asked, what unintelligent answer will be provided? Without doing any research, can you provide the correct answer? Over 90% of the people who are asked this question, do not answer it correctly.

BTW, the correct answer is NOT Ulysses S. Grant!

Reply by HisHughness on 6/1/05 10:14pm
Msg #41688

PAW challenges:

***Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?

...BTW, the correct answer is NOT Ulysses S. Grant!***

Grant and his wife are both in Grant's Tomb.

Hard to stump me on one like that, PAW. I used to write a column called "Exclamation Points," which was a poor man's Ripley's Believe It or Not!

Right back atcha:

What is the highest U.S. military rank?

And if you are Catholic, I'll toss in: What is the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception?

Reply by BrendaTX on 6/1/05 10:25pm
Msg #41691

Stumped me on the tomb contents. I thought it was empty.

Reply by SamIam_CA on 6/2/05 1:00am
Msg #41721

inquiring minds want to know...

***What is the highest U.S. military rank?*** Commander in Chief

***if you are Catholic: What is the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception***
Not Catholic but I can answer Who is the Immaculate Conception - Mary; Not Jesus.

Don't keep me in suspense - what are the right answers?

Reply by HisHughness on 6/2/05 7:06am
Msg #41735

Re: inquiring minds want to know...

SamWhatAm responds to an earlier teaser:

***What is the highest U.S. military rank?*** Commander in Chief

If you are Catholic: What is the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception***
Not Catholic but I can answer Who is the Immaculate Conception - Mary; Not Jesus.

Don't keep me in suspense - what are the right answers?***

Partially right. Commander in chief is not a military rank; it is a title, and is held by a civilian, the President of the United States. The highest military rank is General of the Armies, a rank held only by John J. (Blackjack) Pershing, commander of the Allied Expeditionary Forces in World War I. There is evidence that the Continental Congress authorized that rank for George Washington (for the Aggies amongst us: He was the first President of the United States and the commander of the American forces in the Revolution), but no evidence it was actually ever conferred. The ranks of General of the Army and Admiral of the Fleet were created in World War II for, among others, George C. Marshall, Eisenhower, and Nimitz.

The doctrine of the Immaculate Conception is often confused with the doctrine of the Virgin Birth, which holds that Jesus was born of a virgin. The doctrine of the Immaculate Conception holds that Mary, the mother of Jesus, was born without original sin, the plight of all of us since Eve first flashed Adam in the Garden of Eden. It is not generally discussed in this day of feminist ideology triumphant, but the serpent in the Garden was female and a lesbian. The serpent waved the prospect of a little hanky panky at Eve, who bit, bigtime. Then Eve, having discovered the pleasures of the flesh, decided to clue Adam in. Had the serpent been male, he would simply have invited Eve to go fishing, and we all would be lolling around, naked and innocent, having a beer on some riverbank.

Women. It was ever thus.

Reply by SamIam_CA on 6/2/05 9:57am
Msg #41770

Re: you are hysterical!!!! n/m

Reply by PAW_Fl on 6/2/05 7:19am
Msg #41737

>>> Grant and his wife are both in Grant's Tomb. <<<

While your statement is correct, this is NOT the answer to the question as to who is BURIED in Grant's tomb. (BTW, Mrs. Grant was Judith Dent.)

The "Who's buried in Grant's Tomb?" joke stems from a 1950s game show; it was supposed to be an easy question, but the contestants thought it was a trap and got it wrong. So for the last time, who is buried there?

Well, no one actually. Mr. and Mrs. Grant are not buried. Their sarcophagi lie above ground.

Reply by BrendaTX on 6/2/05 7:23am
Msg #41739

Thanks Paul...I understand the humor and word play now. No one is >>buried<< there.

Reply by HisHughness on 6/2/05 7:32am
Msg #41740

PAW, rubbing his hands and gloating, chortles:

***The "Who's buried in Grant's Tomb?" joke stems from a 1950s game show; it was supposed to be an easy question, but the contestants thought it was a trap and got it wrong. So for the last time, who is buried there?

Well, no one actually. Mr. and Mrs. Grant are not buried. Their sarcophagi lie above ground.***

Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. Entomb: To deposit in or as if in a tomb: BURY.

Webster's New World Dictionary. Bury: To put (a dead body) into the earth, a tomb, the sea, etc.

Hugh Nations, Sonnets from the Pekinese, Pre-Nuptial Agreement:

Reply by HisHughness on 6/2/05 7:33am
Msg #41742

PAW, rubbing his hands in unseemly glee, gloats:

Reply by PAW_Fl on 6/2/05 7:33am
Msg #41741

Military Ranks

>>> Right back atcha:

What is the highest U.S. military rank? <<<

Technically, by military pay standards and DOD doctrine today, the 5-stars (General of the Army, Fleet Admiral, General of the Air Force, and Commandant of the Marine Corps [only 4-stars]) are the highest ranks in the military. Interestingly though, there have been TWO (2) SIX-Star generals: Congress saw the disparity caused by national growth and world wide military requirements and in 1976 posthumously promoted George Washington to General of the Armies with six stars. This was not a "made up" rank just for the occasion. John J. Pershing attained this rank during WWI!

However, by military protocol, the Commander-in-Chief is the highest ranking person in the US military, though he (she) is usually a civilian. The highest ranking military officer by protocol is the Joint Chief-of-Staff, as this person is responsible for reporting directly to the Commander-in-Chief.

Reply by SamIam_CA on 6/2/05 10:07am
Msg #41775

Re: Military Ranks

I had to use this trick to remember the order of general's stars. Be My Little Girl.
B- Brigadier General
M- Major General
L - Lieutenant General
G - General

So what type of general are the 5 & 6 star versions?

Reply by HisHughness on 6/2/05 10:50am
Msg #41790

Re: Military Ranks

I have no idea how my two earlier posts regarding Grant's Tomb got posted before they were complete. That's a shame, too: I was going to quote one of my sonnets as authority for "entomb" and "bury" as syntonyms. Oh, well: The world will little note nor long remember what you guys missed.

Commander-in-chief is a position, not a rank. That distinction sometimes gets blurred in the military, but it is a vital one nonetheless. A base commander, for example, is a position, and the holder thereof could be a colonel, or brigadier general, or even a major general. Likewise with an aircraft commander: Sometimes you may have an aircraft commander who is actually outranked by the navigator.

With respect to George Washington, the rank of General of the Armies was, I believe, first conferred by the Continental Congress and it did not have a given number of stars attached to it. The 20th Century congressional action essentially just clarified some rather murky history; whether that action actually called for the general to be awarded six stars, I don't know. It is unlikely that either Washington, via the original action by the Continental Congress, nor Pershing was awarded six stars. That is so because there was no five-star rank in the Revolutionary War or World War I.

Now, would everyone like to move on to a subject that we will all find much more interesting, like, maybe, the mites that inhabit the nostrils of Arctic waterfowl? A word to the wise, though: I actually DID know the world's foremost such expert. He was about as dry as you would expect.

Reply by Sheree_TX on 6/1/05 8:23pm
Msg #41666

What about this one, Hugh:

What does "Hughness" really mean? ;)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.