Notary Rotary
New Phishing tactic using Pay Pal
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by JanetK/CA on 6/12/05 2:18pm
Msg #44076

FYI, I got another email today with a slightly different phishing twist purportedly using Pay Pal. Here's the main part of it:

"It has come to our attion that 95% of all fraudulent transactions are caused by members using stolen credit cards to purchase or sell non existant items. Thus we require our members to add a Debit/Check card to their billing records as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraud on our website. Your Debit/Check card will only be used to identify you. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and renew your records you will not run into any future problems with the PayPalŪ service. However, failure to confirm your records will result in your account suspension."

Hopefully everyone here knows better than to respond to something like this, but I thought I'd post this just in case... (BTW, spelling errors are usually a clue, but anymore, I wonder...)

Reply by laura_nh on 6/12/05 2:21pm
Msg #44077

I have recieved many of these. if you forward them to [e-mail address] they will investigate them. every single one i have received has been invalid. paypal will check it out. laura

Reply by jerrytuttle on 6/12/05 2:49pm
Msg #44082

Two ways to identify phony emails about PayPal, ebay, etc.:

1. They don't address you by name. The real PayPal knows your name.

2. The link they want you to click on has a different address in the text of the email address than the link it takes you to.

If you want to visit PayPal, go there directly, rather than clicking on someone's link.

Jerry Tuttle
www.SoOrangeNotary.com

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.