Notary Rotary
SOX
Notary Discussion History

SOX
Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by WINotaryGal on 6/24/05 6:42am
Msg #47385

SOX

SOX called two times yesterday to request signing services. Let them know I could accept the signing only if they paid me in advance. She told me it isn't their policy to pay in advance. Explained that other Notaries had problems getting paid so I was declining. They called again a few hours later. Again said I need to paid upfront. This time she said she would check into paying up front. She didn't call back, but if they want to survive, their payment policy needs to change from not at all to up front... Barry, I think they are having trouble finding notaries.

Reply by Toni (NY) on 6/24/05 6:50am
Msg #47387

They called me yesterday twice too, and they have never called me before. I didn't even return their call because of the posts on this board.

Reply by Barry/FL on 6/24/05 7:09am
Msg #47390

I am delited to read this post. From the posts I have been reading on this board, it seems as though their days are numbered. All they had to do was honestly pay people for honest service provided in a timely manner, and there would be no problem. As I've stated before, it does my heart good to know that they are not able to find the notaries that Missy, Director of Operations, said they had no problems finding. All evidence to the contrary. Good-bye SOX!!!

Reply by BrendaTX on 6/24/05 7:43am
Msg #47392

I don't know, Barry...I started reading about them and their nasty ways nearly two years ago. I'd never accept an assignment from them, but they find new people all the time who are not plugged into reading these boards.

Why aren't notaries going up the food chain to those who are hiring them...has that been attempted?

Reply by Dogmonger, Ca on 6/24/05 8:30am
Msg #47400

It's never easy

get a fox out of the hen house. These guys will continue to prey on the batches of NSA's that the NNA keeps churning out. And if they have problems operating, look for them to close up, open under a new name, and start all over. Seen it WAY TOO many times over the years.

Reply by Barry Silver on 6/24/05 10:42am
Msg #47438

I don't know. I always advise notaries to call the lender and the title company when the SS refuses to pay; it works wonders. I don't know why notaries are so apprehensive about doing this. They have nothing to lose.

I think the best we can do is continually try to keep people informed on this board.

Reply by db_IL on 6/24/05 8:32am
Msg #47402

I received a call from SOX as well, yesterday afternoon for a closing right in my hometown (tempting right!). But I was strong and politely explained that I was quite hesitant to accept a signing from them. The rep, who seemed very nice and clueless asked "oh, why is that?". I said due to the difficulty my colleagues throughout the country have had being paid for their services. I explained my time is too valuable, I prefer to use it doing notary work vs. playing collection agent.

He said he couldn't say one way or the other, being new there within the last 2 weeks. He assured me that their "new accountant" seems to be quite trustworthy and diligent. Anyway, I still graciously declined and thanked him for the opportunity. After all a bird in the hand is worth two in a bush . . . . . especially when the bush keeps running from you and then turns into a tree and then (you get the hint).

Reply by Anonymous on 6/24/05 10:44am
Msg #47441

Good for you. As far as I know, Shelly is not new, and she is still in charge of accounting. If he is there two weeks, then I believe he knows exactly what is going on there. They are all polite when soliciting us for work; we just can not fall for their honey coated tongues!

Reply by Lindab on 6/24/05 9:00am
Msg #47411

I wish I would have read this yesterday. I have done one closing for them this week and have another one scheduled for today. Since I have never worked for them before I was unaware of the problems. I turned down to other signings for today so that I could accommodate them. They are only paying me $60 and the borrower has the doc's. Should I cancel? If they don't pay I certainly don't work for free. Give me some feedback PLEASE>

Reply by Forest Sisemore on 6/24/05 9:07am
Msg #47413

Always check out SS's

Reply by Forest Sisemore on 6/24/05 9:14am
Msg #47417

Re: Always check out SS's

Especially those that are unknown to you. If you find they have a bad reputation decline the signing or demand payment up front. I'm glad to see other notaries are doing this. It's been my policy with sox ever since I first read about them here. It's too bad you passed on two other signings to accomodate sox, there's a price to be paid for ignorance. Don't feel bad just move on. Lesson learned....

Reply by db_IL on 6/24/05 9:08am
Msg #47414

What time is your SOX signing set for? n/m

Reply by lindab on 6/24/05 9:18am
Msg #47421

Re: What time is your SOX signing set for? n/m

I just canceled on them due to a "family emergency". Called the two that I declined and now they are both a "go". I will not take any further jobs with them until I see whether they pay for the first job I did.

Thanks everyone.

Reply by Barry Silver on 6/24/05 10:48am
Msg #47443

Good Save. I am proud of you!!!

Reply by CaliNotary on 6/24/05 1:53pm
Msg #47495

A "family emergency"? That's pretty chickens**t, you should have told them EXACTLY why you were cancelling. The only way they're ever going to change (which we all know isn't ever going to happen, but still) is if people are blunt with them and they realize that it's their own business practices that are causing their problems.

Reply by Dmartz_IN on 6/24/05 2:13pm
Msg #47503

If there was no family emergency you should not have used that line. I agree with CaliNotary.

Reply by Barry Silver on 6/24/05 10:47am
Msg #47442

Yes...Cancel...Change your phone number, address, and E-Mail address...Never let them find you. Sixty is unacceptable anyway. They pay more than that to others. It seems they try to get away with paying as little as the market will accept.

Reply by Woody on 6/24/05 11:04am
Msg #47444

(They're Evil)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.