Notary Rotary
Signing scam email heads-up
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by Mistarella on 6/3/05 9:50pm
Msg #42212

Got the following email sent to me by a local SA club: I guess we all have to watch out!
Subject: [SigningAgent] Phone scam?
>Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 17:02:10 -0700
>
>A fellow notary in my area got a call today from a fast talking man who
>stated he had a signing in "her area" and he would pay $150 by direct
>deposit to her account....so all he needed was her routing number and they
>could get her set up! My friend said there was no way she was giving him
>her bank information and he tried to cajole her into it but she again
>refused and this person hung up. I asked her who he said he was with and
>she said that he did not say...so, this is just a little warning to be
>careful. I'd also like to know if you have received this call...it appears
>to be a scam but he seemed to know "the signing business".
>Mary Jane
>

Reply by CaliNotary on 6/4/05 12:44am
Msg #42248

You do realize that this is the same information that is at the bottom of every check you write?

The situation sounds shady, but I can't think of a way that he could use this information to get into her bank account.

Reply by anon on 6/4/05 9:30am
Msg #42277

When you buy somthing in the internet, all they ask is name, routing number and accoutt number.

Reply by CAtitlegal on 6/4/05 11:15am
Msg #42293

Wanna bet? In order to pass a fraudulent check through your account, the criminal needs your routing number and your account number. Having additional info, like the name, address, and the phone number of your friend obtaining through a website (such as a site the SS would use to find you), gives them carte blance to your account. I speak from experience - it's no fun dealing with a situation like this. Pretend it's Christmastime, you're going shopping, you check your bank balance, and it's $800 less than you anticipated. You call the bank, obtain a copy of the check, and instead of a signature, it shows 'authorized by phone'. Sort of ruins your holiday spirit.

Reply by Dave C on 6/4/05 2:38pm
Msg #42343

Don't give out this info unless you really know who is getting it. I know it is on the checks and that you use it on the internet sometimed BUT at least you know who you are giving it to.
I would ask for their bank name and account number

Reply by Anne_SoCA on 6/4/05 7:19pm
Msg #42394

Mistarella - You're right, check out this article...

I read this article on MSNBC.com a little while ago...you're right to not want to give out your checking account information!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7914159/

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.