Notary Rotary
Speaking of subpeonas...
Notary Discussion History

Speaking of subpeonas...
Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by Sam I am on 6/16/05 12:51pm
Msg #45204

Speaking of subpeonas...

I was just curious if anyone here has ever had a court order for a copy of a page of their journal; had to testify about a notarization or any similar stories. How often do you think that happens? My guess is one in 10,000 signings...

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/16/05 12:59pm
Msg #45206

I'd guess far less often than that.

Reply by CAtitlegal on 6/16/05 2:28pm
Msg #45234

I couldn't venture a guess...but probably whenever there's a lawsuit involving real property, and the validity of any signature is in question. For title insurance claims, I'm sure it's routine.

I looked into becoming a 'forensic document examiner' about a year ago - a very interesting profession that involves some handwriting analysis and other skills. For those actions that ended up in court, I know notary journal entries were subpeonaed.

Reply by Sam on 6/16/05 4:55pm
Msg #45278

I guess since I've only done 50 odds are in my favor!

Forensic doc examiner does sound very interesting. What type of training is involved?

Reply by CAtitlegal on 6/16/05 6:06pm
Msg #45299

Re: Speaking of subpeonas...Sam

I did a short course on handwriting analysis, and found it super interesting (and pretty accurate IMHO). During that, I was contacted by a school that would teach document examination.

Basically, you were assigned work by an attorney (as an expert, and or an expert witness) to examine docs, in particular signatures, that were being questioned like deeds, deeds of trusts, trust documents, any and all conveyances where folks were trying to screw each other. Sadly, a lot of family members pull this stuff.

You reviewed the documents, wrote an opinion letter to the attorney (not the equivalent of an attorney opinion letter, there's a difference), and if it came to it, you would testify in court as an expert witness. These folks are truly few and far between (compared to NSA's), and most of them seem to be retired police, or lawyers or....

I didn't do it because I don't have a 4 year degree. If I were called as an expert witness in court, I think a lawyer could have had a field day with lack of "the degree" and make me not such a great 'expert'.

But the good news? I found the NNA, and a shortage of NSA's!!! haha Smiley

(seriously, I love doing signings Smiley)

Reply by Sam on 6/16/05 9:23pm
Msg #45366

Re: Speaking of subpeonas...Sam

Thanx for the info. I don't have a degree either. Being an expert witness seems like it would be both exciting and really, really stressful. Unfortunately, the lawyers would probably be able to convince me I don't even know my own signature.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.