Notary Rotary
Standard Reply to Newbie Posts
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by AngelinaAZ on 6/17/05 1:52am
Msg #45438

OK guys... the same old argument back and forth is getting really old. It seems like we have a differing set of opinions on how everyone should be treated.

IMHO, sometimes newbies are just excited and want to post 'something' and they can't think of anything BUT a stupid question. Why don't we have a standard answer that we can all agree upon?

I also think that although the 'Sweet Ones' are trying to buffer the newbie from a 'bashing', replies like... 'Oh no, the old grouches are coming...' or 'get ready to get bashed' aren't very professional either. It just starts a bunch of crap and IMO, it looks stupid!

Why don't we agree on a standard reply to help the newbies be self-sufficient. We don't have to baby them and we shouldn't protect them. This is a tough business. And if they post a stupid question after reading the advice... well?

The following two posts are an idea of a 'Standard Reply System.' If someone has a better idea, let's have it. NEW arguments are GREAT in my opinion, but lets stop having the SAME one every day!

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 6/17/05 1:54am
Msg #45439

Re: Hi, I'm a Newbie!

Does anyone have great advice on how I can get started. Will anyone take me on a ride along? What should I charge? Any advice would be appreciated!

Reply by Anonymous on 6/17/05 1:55am
Msg #45440

WELCOME!

Hello from all of us at Notary Rotary!

This site can be a great resource for you on your journey to becoming a great signing agent. Building your own business can be a tough thing and nobody can hold your hand and do it for you. Please know that this is a competitive business, and the harder you work for yourself, the more successful you will be.

We do have some great advice for you to get you started.

Tip 1) The orange search button can be a great tool. Use it to look up a question before you post it on the board and chances are… you may find that the answer to your question is right in front of you. Although you are new and excited… and we are excited for you, your first ten questions have probably been asked and answered about a thousand times.

Tip 2) Study hard and stay positive. You have to be thick skinned in this business and sometimes, the best information can come from a cranky attorney who just might bite your head off! Learn from everybody!

Here are some answers to frequently asked questions from the board:

1. How do I get started as a Signing Agent? Read message #33325 by Dorothy/MI

2. How much should I charge? You will have to figure out your own fees based on your area and your expenses. That being said, most of us universally agree that the baseline price for a Single package should be NO LESS than $65-75 for a package delivered to your home plus an additional $25 if it is E-Doc. This is considered an acceptable fee from a Signing Service for a round-trip of 40 miles. (That means 20 miles one way). Many have argued this point and you can find differing points of view by doing a search on ‘fees’.

3. How long should a signing take? Read message #7453 by CaliNotary.

4. What should I carry in my briefcase? Read message #19302 by Lee/AR

5. How can I market myself to Title Co.’s? Read message #42637 by BrendaTX

There are many more answers out there to lots of questions, …printing problems… opinions on good or bad signing services…specific document Q&A…, if you have the desire to excel, we recommend lots and lots of searching… studying…and hard work. Remember, it is all up to you! GOOD LUCK!

So now that you are on your way, take a minute to tell us what state you are in and your favorite thing to do for fun!

Reply by Barry/FL on 6/17/05 2:03am
Msg #45441

The only "stupid question" is the one that is never asked.

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 6/17/05 2:15am
Msg #45442

Rephrase... 'Naive Question'...

Reply by Nd_WA on 6/17/05 2:21am
Msg #45443

Great idea! Now we need a volunteer to re-post it before it gets burried on the next page. How about changing the name to "Beginner's Q/A"

Reply by Nd_WA on 6/17/05 2:22am
Msg #45444

Kudos to you, AngelinaAZ

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 6/17/05 2:30am
Msg #45445

Re: Kudos to you, AngelinaAZ

Well thank you! I have an early day tomorrow... very busy and I am obviously NOT TIRED so I thought I would do my good deed for the day. I actually did one earlier too! On my way home from my last signing, I swerved to avoid hitting a bunny in the road and ended up getting Diet Coke all over my car and I didn't even cuss! I just sighed... now I have to have my Expedition detailed...TAX WRITE-OFF, Oh well!

Reply by John_NorCal on 6/17/05 7:43am
Msg #45459

In all seriousness.........

Just maybe we can prevail upon Harry to create a tab for newbies...something like FAQs for newbies.

Reply by Eatha/PA on 6/17/05 8:47am
Msg #45469

Harry, this one's for you!

I Newbies tab would be very beneficial with the information on Angelina's post. Can you do it?

Reply by Lee/AR on 6/17/05 11:42am
Msg #45519

Re: In all seriousness....Harry??? Good idea above! (nm)

Reply by BP/WV on 6/17/05 1:09pm
Msg #45553

yeah.. until you ask it on this board.

Reply by Anonymous on 6/17/05 8:17am
Msg #45464

It all sounds fine and good although the wheel can't be reinvented. The words you suggest may be different, but they've all been said and posted several times before and the problem hasn't magically been fixed

Reply by Dave_CA on 6/17/05 8:59am
Msg #45479

Yes, it has been said before but that does not diminish the value of Angelina's post or of the suggestion to set up a section for new people with FAQs.
I don't know how difficult or expensive it may be but if enough of us ask often enough it may happen.
Thank you AngelinaAZ for this and all the entertainment your posts have given me.

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 6/17/05 2:30pm
Msg #45574

Re-Inventing the Wheel

My suggestion was actually for us! Not something to incur costs, just cut down on headaches.

If someone has enough time to write...

"Watch out... here comes the bashing" or "Why can't you read something before you post?" then why not cut and paste this (or something similar), if we see a newbie post. It would alleviate the same old argument back and forth every day, and would be a little friendlier than 'Read message 33325'.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make 'em drink. So let's point them in the right direction and see what they're made of.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 6/17/05 10:07am
Msg #45493

Bravissamo, AngelinaAZ! Well done! n/m

Reply by christi/socal on 6/17/05 1:16pm
Msg #45556

Great idea!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.