Notary Rotary
Sticky Situation
Notary Discussion History

Sticky Situation
Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by SDgirl on 6/26/05 3:39pm
Msg #47959

Sticky Situation

Got a call Friday for a Sat signing w/ edocs from "Signing Company #1" accepted... Waited & waited for docs NOTHING...

1 hour before scheduled appointment got a call from "Signing Company #2" to do a signing w/ edocs in one hour. I said if it can be moved 2 hours I will accept... They agreed.

After dowloading info, recieving faxes, printing...Turns out that it was the same borrower, same loan, same everything from Company #1.

I notified company #2 that I had already accepted this signing from #1 and they said "we got the docs to you first so you are obligated to handle it through our company, please ignore company #1... I notified company#1 and they basically told me to ignore company#2 becuase they had just emailed me the docs as well...

What would you do?? Signing has been completed, who do I bill?

Reply by Brijoe_WA on 6/26/05 3:49pm
Msg #47964

I would play them against each other and see who gives you the higher fee.

Reply by Rick_In_NY on 6/26/05 3:59pm
Msg #47966

Great way to lose TWO business relationships instead of one.

Reply by Rick_In_NY on 6/26/05 3:57pm
Msg #47965

That is absolutely the strangest story imaginable. In my opinion, you are going to make one signing company very unhappy no matter what you do, so you have to make the proverbial business decision as to which company puts more money into your bank account every day/week/month/quarter or whatever and bill that company, and tell the other company that you are sorry. The 'losing company' has to figure out why the lender gave the closing to 2 different companies, that's the problem, not your decision. What if they happened to call a different notary and 2 people showed up at the same time?

As for what company #2 said about getting you the docs first, I don't think that argument holds water. I'm just curious, did company #1 get you their docs in time to do the closing in reasonable proximity to the appointed time?

If they did, to me it negates company #2's argument anyway.

In the final analysis, I'd approach it as whose account it would hurt me more to lose, and act accordingly.

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK! (My head is spinning over this one.)

Reply by Jpg_CA on 6/26/05 3:59pm
Msg #47967

Come on you knew when you received the second confirmation that it was the same one. No after
printing docs.

I will call the first and tell them that your cancelling because of docs been late. Or who ever have
better reputation to pay.

Reply by CaliNotary on 6/26/05 4:09pm
Msg #47968

I would call the Title company on Monday and ask which signing service was going to be paid for this signing. That's the one you should bill.

To protect yourself I'd send invoices to both of the signing services right now. After you talk to the title company, call the one who's not getting paid and tell them what the title company told you. That way they're to blame, not you.

Reply by BrendaTX on 6/26/05 4:10pm
Msg #47970

Cali's idea is probably better than mine for your best protection.

Reply by BrendaTX on 6/26/05 4:09pm
Msg #47969

I would be loyal to the one who hired me first in this situation.

Reply by SDgirl on 6/26/05 10:18pm
Msg #48042

Thanks for all of your ideas... I was planning to call the LO tomorrow morning and ask who to bill... I think that would be the most appropriate. Unfortunately, either way, I think someone will come out unhappy here.

Reply by JanetK/CA on 6/27/05 1:44am
Msg #48056

I think you're right. Your best bet is to try to get out of the middle and let them fight it out. You did your part by getting the signing done. I don't envy you this one!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.