Notary Rotary
TC Shorthand?
Notary Discussion History

TC Shorthand?
Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by Merry_CA on 6/6/05 5:17pm
Msg #42739

TC Shorthand?

Would someone be so kind as to give us all a few examples of Title Company "shorthand" (i.e. lingo, acronyms etc.) with which new comers my not be familiar. In a previous post it was stated that...

**if you don't understand the short-hand language, you'll blow it while on the phone with them... **

Why should we have to run the risk of "blowing it" when others could help so much!

This seems to me a nobrainer... I have been passing along the "inside scoop" to new people in field in which I work (commercial printing and graphic arts) for over 35 years. Being open with information has always worked for me. Made lots of friends this way.

TIA

Reply by Art_MD on 6/6/05 5:25pm
Msg #42742

Re: search for message 14718 N/M

Reply by Merry_CA on 6/6/05 5:31pm
Msg #42744

Not THOSE acronyms! Duh!

The TC "shorthand" refered to as a possible embarassment for new comers if they don't understand it!

;)

Reply by Teasa/NY on 6/6/05 5:43pm
Msg #42746

The shorthand won't help if you have no idea what the terms mean. God forbid you embarass yourself out of your own ignorance, we wouldn't want that. Sorry, but you have to learn/earn your knowledge.

Reply by Merry_CA on 6/6/05 5:56pm
Msg #42750

NEVER MIND!

I have always found that a simple "I'm not familiar with that term" works. I have never embarassed myself or lost a job (NSA) or otherwise for saying that.

In addition, most of the terms we do understand once the "shorthand" (inside lingo) is defined.

We new comers are a lot smarter than we look! Many of us have lots of years in other fields and find it quite unprofessional to be addressed in the manner we often are here. I have yet to understand the "hurray for me #$#*&* you" attitude on this forum. This is a wonderful business but nothing to get to full of yourself about!

Smiley

Reply by Teasa/NY on 6/6/05 6:13pm
Msg #42763

DUH!!!!

First let me start wth DUH!!! An ignorant and ungrateful response to Art who is always so helpful. If that makes you seem smarter than you look, I don't want to see what you look like. I am beginning to think that CA is breeding pods disguised as humanoids. I am amazed at the arrogance and ignorance. It's an ugly combination. It has nothing to do with being full of oneself, it's about being self assured, which you obviously aren't about your new found career.

Reply by Merry_CA on 6/6/05 6:19pm
Msg #42766

Re: DUH!!!!

I thought you New Yorkers were a little more thick skinned than to let a little "duh!" get you twisted out of shape.

Please go back and read my initial question... then Art's response.

BTW, the duh! was just in fun as I thought that Art did not read my question so his response had nothing to do with my question.

;)

Reply by Teasa/NY on 6/6/05 6:23pm
Msg #42770

Re: DUH!!!!

A pod disguised as a humanoid born with a notary stamp sticking out of it's claw.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 6/6/05 6:25pm
Msg #42772

Re: DUH!!!! Here we go again.....its spreadin hahaha

Reply by Merry_CA on 6/6/05 6:31pm
Msg #42774

Erna, you are a hoot! Glad someone here has a sense of humor! ;)

Reply by ERNA_CA on 6/6/05 6:34pm
Msg #42775

Humor is a much on here, when reading some of the posts you just have to laugh as not to cry in shame for the poster. Smiley

Reply by ERNA_CA on 6/6/05 6:40pm
Msg #42779

Re: DUH!!!! Here we go again.....its spreadin hahaha Merry

Have heard we all are suposedly wearing roller skates but never heard before that we have claws lol.......this is hileriouse Smiley

Reply by Teasa/NY on 6/6/05 7:00pm
Msg #42783

I have a great sense of humor but I guess I don't suffer arrogant fools very well. Flaky, flakier, flakiest.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 6/6/05 7:19pm
Msg #42795

To misanderstand a post and continue as you did Teasa? Show you sence of humor and reread the post and admitt that was uncalled for.

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 6/6/05 9:28pm
Msg #42817

Re: Some info for you... Merry

Here is some advice although I'm sure you don't want it. Chill girl. Don't be so touchy. So you ask a question... so you get what you think is a nasty answer that others think is well deserved. We are all entitled to opinions and that is what you get if you post on boards with real people. If you want to get merry replies Merry... stick to the dictionary. Post here and well... toughen up...

Remember that even if someone gives you an answer, you can't substitute the experience of getting it yourself. It is the experience that really separates the men from the boys in this biz. So stop getting your feathers ruffled and don't get so defensive. We all work really hard and most of us really like what we do and if nothing else, we have that in common.

Frankly I don't really subscribe to the 'lets all be super nice all the time and sugar coat everything' turn that this board has taken. I'm more for the "If you can't take the heat... get out of the kitchen" stance. To quote a signer last week, 'Gosh this loan stuff is like, really important. I mean... giggle giggle... if you screw this up, like, what happens to my loan?'

That being said, I love your simple tenacity, so here is some info for you. And please don't reply with a "I'm really not touchy... they are just so mean... I just thought we were in this to help each other" response or I will never live this down. I really believe Merry that beneath all of your defensiveness there is someone who wants to do a really good job!

I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for but this encompasses most of the terms that I have come across with my dealings with TCs and Lenders. It may or may not be the 'shorthand' that you referred to but in knowing these backwards and forwards, I have never had to say... excuse me can you explain that?

http://www.titleminnesota.com/terms.htm

Hope it helps.

Reply by hcampers/fl on 6/6/05 9:33pm
Msg #42818

Good advice and good info

Thanks to you AngelinaAZ. I like the way you put this. Also thanks for the web-site. I bookmarked it to read when I have spare time....
b.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/6/05 10:18pm
Msg #42831

Angelina...that site is great.

Okay...Here's an example of two terms that stumped me and made me feel rather foolish:

Smalls

Nobs

Sentence usage--Escrow officer barks into the phone: "Have the nobs sign those few smalls ...you know which ones...and make sure she uses the nka!"

(Me thinking: Knobs? What knobs? the Nka? Did she say inky hay?? ink is gray? )

And, I actually responded: Silence. Deer in headlight stare at the phone.

She was really gripey at me..because I did not know what the heck she was telling me, and I called her back to ask if she wanted the NKA or not because they had sent the docs with conflicting instructions...but the important thing is that I actually did understand how to do the signing. When I heard myself say "the NKA" I realized the ink being gray had nothing to do with it...And, I figured out that "smalls" meant title docs.

Before you know the how-to...well...enter at your own risk and be darn sure to have thick skin and don't mind blowing it...whether or not I knew what her lingo was...I knew what to do.
----
Okay...got my hands into it and improved a little on the "talk."

Pranced into the gripey escrow officer's office and tried to "casually" mention that I already knew to get the "shorts" signed by the nobs...the wife...the non-obligated spouse.

Her: Whose shorts?

Me: "The wife signed the shorts."

Her: Whose shorts? Whose??? What's going on in there?

Obviously, I mixed up "shorts" with "smalls."

But...she laughed at me and I like the heck out of her now...but man...on the phone that first time she sounded like she was 8 ft tall. I'd say she's about 5'0" and 101 lbs.

Reply by CAtitlegal on 6/6/05 10:23pm
Msg #42832

omg...funniest thing I've heard all day...LOL

Can I re-make this into a e-mail joke? Please? You'd be a hit.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/6/05 10:29pm
Msg #42834

Re: omg...funniest thing I've heard all day...LOL

Of course. Just please change the names to protect the not-so-innocent.
Smiley

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 6/6/05 10:51pm
Msg #42836

Brenda you are crackin' me up!

I cannot believe that I have never even heard any of that stuff and if I did... talk about deer in the headlights. That is the funniest thing I have read all day!

Boy I needed to laugh, I had an insane signing today that I am still reeling from... sometimes I can't believe the things that go on! This one shocked even me... and that is hard to do!

Reply by SamIam_CA on 6/6/05 11:47pm
Msg #42855

Re: tell tell...

**I had an insane signing today that I am still reeling from... sometimes I can't believe the things that go on!**

So, what's the story???

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 6/7/05 12:26am
Msg #42862

Re: tell tell...Read at your own risk!

Faint of heart or picky professionals... DO NOT READ!

I live in an area of southern Arizona that is known to have more... for lack of a better word, country folk. I have seen all types and have gotten used to dentures sitting next to my Notary Stamp, the dog that pooped on my briefcase (that one was hard to accept) and other strange and wonderful things that make people so very unique.

I pull up to a huge but extremely run down house with about a hundred cats running around everywhere. Now I am allergic to those wonderful animals so I immediately pop a sudafed and go to meet the borrower. She asks if we can sign outside because it is the only table and as she moves the hundred cans of open, half eaten cat food off the table, I notice the 'no shirt wearing hairy neighbor' leering over the fence. She starts screaming at him to go away, and yells, "Brother come and help me, Artie is hanging around again." The husband comes out and gets into it with the neighbor who goes away. I ask for ID's and start to get down to business. They are signing away, while I am trying to keep the cats off the table and away from my new briefcase which I am wishing I had left in my car and I notice that the neighbor is back. The wife starts yelling again...profanity and lots of other stuff and ends it with 'Get out of here you sheep theif!" Well that was a new one. I could not resist so I said so innocently, "He stole your sheep?" She looked at me with cold disdain and said, "Yes, he took Molly and had her over in his trailer for three hours before I noticed her gone." The husband nodded and said, "Yep, we had to put her down after he had his way," then yelling, you want to go back to jail sheepf*&%$#" Now that was sick but I didn't really have time to be grossed out yet because the wife started crying and the husband started comforting her and then they started a super make out session. I was ready to BLOW THE TACO STAND but I forced myself to take one quick look at the docs because I sure did not want to COME BACK. I notice in horror that there is a problem with the vesting, I cannot believe that I did not catch it. It says "John Doe, an unmarried man, and Jane Doe, and unmarried woman. They have wedding rings, they are obviously 'together', they have the same last name... Oh crud! I bring it to their attention and say, "could you please double check the vesting here, I think we will need to have this corrected." They look at it and say... 'Nope it's right". I am now befuddled... so I go out on a limb and say, well in my experience, a typical deed of a married couple would say.... yada yada yada. The man gets up and leaves and the wife says, "Oh we're married honey, but we're brother and sister and the &%$#$ State of Arizona won't recognize us as married." The husband comes back mad and says, "first Mom and Dad wouldn't come to the weddin and now the &%$#$ state of Arizona is tellin us that we aint man and wife... what do you think of that?"

What do I think of that? Did he really ask me that question? Was I really still there and not running for the car? Where's my Mace? Maybe I should carry a gun! Oh God I forgot to tell my husband where I would be... Is Artie looking at me? RUN RUN RUN... don't walk, RUN!!!

This is not a joke, and I haven't eaten since I got home.

Sam is this more than you bargained for.. it was more than I bargained for!

Reply by HisHughness on 6/7/05 1:07am
Msg #42866

Angelina, I been to two Mexican goat ropin's and to Valdosta twice, so I've pretty much seen it all, but I gotta tell you, Honey, if I ever have a signing like that I'm going to hang up my stamp and live forever after earning a living just writing about that one episode for publications.

A goat? Did the husband sound like he also had eyes for ... never mind. I don't think I want to know.

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 6/7/05 1:22am
Msg #42870

It was a sheep... supposedly. And yes they were brother and sister. I am currently blocking it all out. BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK.

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 6/7/05 1:38am
Msg #42872

By the way Hugh...

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 6/7/05 1:39am
Msg #42873

Re: By the way Hugh...

Sorry I hit the wrong button. What is in Valdosta? Do I even want to know?

Reply by SamIam_CA on 6/7/05 9:59am
Msg #42911

Hey - maybe you can get worker's comp to pay for your therapy...

Reply by HisHughness on 6/7/05 10:49am
Msg #42925

Angelina, I forgot to ask. Does the sheep by any chance have a liquor store, or a bass boat?

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/7/05 5:46am
Msg #42880

AngelinaAZ...

Angelina, I knew I liked you. This is priceless.

Reply by missy_socal on 6/7/05 1:10am
Msg #42867

I wonder if no one has yet to reply because they can't tell if you're serious or not!

Either way, that was one of the funniest, and yet most horrifying stories that I've heard. Please, for the sake of my sleep tonight...tell us that was an old Appalachian urban legend, and you're simply a great story teller!

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 6/7/05 1:19am
Msg #42869

I truly wish it were a joke and right now I'm on my second Crown and Coke just trying to forget. I am staring at a cold Pizza Pocket that I made an hour ago and could not bring myself to eat it. The part I left out is the 50 accidents I almost got into on the way home... I am not easily shaken but I could not concentrate on the road.

I know I am a little crass but it is beyond me to make up a sick story like that.

Reply by CaliNotary on 6/7/05 4:47am
Msg #42875

This is, far and away, the best story that has ever been told on this board.

Reply by JanetK/CA on 6/7/05 8:17pm
Msg #43032

My sentiments exactly! I couldn't stop laughing!!! nm

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/7/05 5:52am
Msg #42882

Girl, you have more guts than I do. I had to cut and paste this one and send it to my uncle in East Texas.

BTW, you might have missed your calling. You are quite a writer!

Reply by SamIam_CA on 6/7/05 9:52am
Msg #42906

NO FREAKING WAY!!!! I think I am speachless - and I didn't know that was possible. Stunned silence. Wow. Holy Sh!t.

Reply by CAtitlegal on 6/7/05 9:59am
Msg #42910

Ya know Angelina, you should write a book...'tales of a notary signing agent'. It'd be a best seller.

I never thought those stories were true...truth IS stranger than fiction (as my morning coffee is churning in my stomach....)

Reply by Lisa-Ca on 6/6/05 11:18pm
Msg #42842

Re: Angelina...that site is great.

Okay, I got the smalls and the nobs but what did nka stand for?

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 6/6/05 11:25pm
Msg #42844

Now Known As

Reply by Lisa-Ca on 6/6/05 11:31pm
Msg #42845

Ohhh! I kept thinking it must have some connection to aka but I couldn't figure it out. Thanks.

Reply by HisHughness on 6/6/05 11:43pm
Msg #42853

Lisa, always the consumate professional, inquires:

***Okay, I got the smalls and the nobs but what did nka stand for?***

Hugh, always the considerate knowledgeable professional, answers: NKA = No Knobs Atall.

Reply by CA_Jeanet on 6/6/05 11:38pm
Msg #42849

Brenda, wish you lived in CA! Just had a "few words" with my "nob", and your post has sent me into hilarious laughter that may last for hrs! (Ihope).

Reply by SamIam_CA on 6/6/05 11:37pm
Msg #42848

Re: Thanx for the great link Angelina! n/m

Reply by CaliNotary on 6/7/05 4:59am
Msg #42878

"Frankly I don't really subscribe to the 'lets all be super nice all the time and sugar coat everything' turn that this board has taken. I'm more for the "If you can't take the heat... get out of the kitchen" stance."

Marry me Angelina

Reply by hcampers/fl on 6/7/05 5:51am
Msg #42881

That is the grossest, nastiest, yuckiest story I have ever heard! I can't stop laughing!!! Angelina you are a hoot!

Reply by Dave_CA on 6/7/05 12:27pm
Msg #42950

Above & Beyond

I know it's only June but I nominate Angelina for the 2005 NSA "Above & Beyond" the call of duty award.

Thank you I still have the grin stuck on my face.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.