Notary Rotary
WHO'S AT FAULT?
Notary Discussion History

WHO'S AT FAULT?
Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by CP/IN on 6/24/05 2:22am
Msg #47367

WHO'S AT FAULT?

If you called to say you would be late for your signing appointment but the borrower went to bed anyway before you arrived, who's to blame?

Reply by Nd_WA on 6/24/05 3:22am
Msg #47373

Why were you late?

Reply by CP/IN on 6/24/05 9:59am
Msg #47429

Late because I had to GO BACK HOME from another signing to pick up their e-docs that my mother had printed out for me earlier. Then I got LOST due to the wife's BAD directions. When I called to say I was on my way and later to ask for better directions, the borrower's sister was on the internet and the line was busy. When I finally found my way to their door, the husband had retired and she wouldn't wake him up.

Reply by CaliNotary on 6/24/05 5:11am
Msg #47378

What time was the appointment and what time did you get there? Did you tell them what time you'd be there when you called and said you would be late?

Reply by Kimberly/IN on 6/24/05 8:39am
Msg #47406

They should have be awaked when you called PRIOR TO THE APP'T to let them know you'll be late. If they went to bed before the scheduled time, their fault...if you waited until an hour after the app't to call, your fault.

Reply by CP/IN on 6/24/05 10:06am
Msg #47430

No, I didn't tell them any EXACT time, but just called to say I would be late because I was coming from a previous job. Please also read my 2nd posting for further explanation. Thanks.

Reply by Kimberly/IN on 6/24/05 11:23am
Msg #47451

I hate when people get on the net and tie up the line. Then they laugh about it when you get there. And they also laugh about giving you bad directions...I don't have much of a sense of humor when I'm out at 9 PM in the middle of nowhere looking for a house...come to find out they gave bad directions. Jerks! Well, it sounds like you made an effort to contact them. You would think they would call you before they turned in for the night though. People kill me.

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 6/25/05 4:41pm
Msg #47765

I really hate these. Because of the borrower's inability to be reached... this turns into your fault. It totally stinks.

You have to refer back to your last clear communication with them as the 'last word'. Unfortunately calling and saying you will be late is not very 'clear' unless you specified... 20 minutes late... 30 minutes late... and they agreed.

The only advice that I can give, is to be more specific and try to leave yourself a bigger window in your initial conversation with them. Especially at this time of the month.

When I talk to the borrowers I confirm the time 'firm'... and then I give them an additional 2 hour window in case there is a backup from the lender. I confirm initially that the entire window will work but I assure them that I am shooting for X time and if that changes I will notify them.

This sounds long and drawn out.. but it isn't. The converstion is fast... friendly... and it gives me a little breathing room to still arrive and not get the 'YOU'RE LATE I'M SO PUT OUT attitude.' I only do this on the 'big days' at the end of the month. All other times I set a time and arrive on time.

I hope this helps...

BTW- If it is a good SS or TC that you are working with I would sincerely apologize (try not to choke or cuss about the stupid borrowers) and offer to go make good on the signing. I don't charge anything if it is 'my fault' even though I wasted time and energy on getting there and weren't able to reach them. Tax Write-Off...

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 6/25/05 5:39pm
Msg #47782

Re: Communication Problem

I am having trouble getting my points across today. As to the last paragraph... I mean that I don't charge twice if something is my fault but I get paid at least one full fee for the completed or corrected job. This has only happened twice to me and on one... I never heard from the company again... and on the other... my willingness to fix my error has gotten me a great client. You never know how a bad thing can turn good!

If a company tries to pull crap on me... I put them on my 'work for charity' list and only take it if I have nothing else to do except dishes.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.