Notary Rotary
Wedding Services
Notary Discussion History

Wedding Services
Go Back to June, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 6/24/05 12:15pm
Msg #47467

Wedding Services

I am here to inquire about the notary process for weddings. I've never done one and would like to know what is involved. Can anyone help me?

Reply by Anonymous on 6/24/05 12:16pm
Msg #47468

Sorry, this is for CA Notaries specifically.

Reply by Nancy in Florida on 6/24/05 12:32pm
Msg #47477

I do not think a Notary Public is allowed to conduct Wedding is CA. From what I understand only Maine, Florida and South Carolina allow Notary Publics to perform weddings. Maybe that has changed but I haven't heard of it as of yet.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 6/24/05 1:31pm
Msg #47491

From the 2005 CA Handbook ...

CONFIDENTIAL MARRIAGES

Confidential marriage licenses may be issued by the county clerk to a notary public
pursuant to Family Code section 503. The license shall be valid for a period of 90 days and
may only be used in the county in which it was issued.

A notary public who is interested in authorizing confidential marriages may apply for
approval to the county clerk in the county in which the notary public resides. A notary public
shall not authorize a confidential marriage unless he or she is approved by the county clerk
having jurisdiction. The county clerk offers a course of instruction, which a notary public
must complete before authorization will be granted. Additionally, in order for a notary public
to perform the marriage, he/she must be one of the persons authorized under Family Code
sections 400 to 402, e.g., priest, minister, or rabbi. The county clerk in the county where the
notary public resides may or may not approve the authorizing of confidential marriages. It is
best to check with the county clerk if interested in obtaining approval.

The form that a notary public completes when notarizing a confidential marriage license is
a jurat. Execution of a jurat requires that the signers personally appeared before the notary
public, that the signers signed the document in the presence of the notary public, that the
notary public administered the oath or affirmation, and that the notary public certified to the
identity of the signer. (Government Code section 8202) Please refer to the section of this
handbook titled “JURAT” for the prescribed form.

If the county clerk finds that the notary public has violated any of the provisions of Family
Code section 500 et. seq. regarding confidential marriages, the county clerk may place the
notary public on probation or suspend or revoke his or her approval. If a notary public violates
any of the provisions of Government Code section 8214.1, the approval shall be revoked. In
addition, the county clerk shall report the findings of any hearing to the Secretary of State for
appropriate action.

Reply by Rev. Sam on 6/24/05 5:45pm
Msg #47555

**Additionally, in order for a notary public to perform the marriage, he/she must be one of the persons authorized under Family Code sections 400 to 402, e.g., priest, minister, or rabbi.**

You can become a reverend on line through the Universal Life Church. Then you can do weddings for people who do not need a confidential marriage.

I just signed up last week Smiley

Reply by PAW_Fl on 6/24/05 1:32pm
Msg #47492

BTW, the plural of Notary Public is Notaries Public (n/m)

Smiley

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 6/24/05 2:45pm
Msg #47506

You are correct in that Notaries Public in Florida, South Carolina and Maine are allowed to perform weddings, but there is also West Feliciana Parish in Louisiana that allows their notaries to perform weddings.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.